Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for a new set of tires on my "new to me" 2010 Tourage VR6. It's got the 19" wheels with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. They look great, but from the little that I've searched around for tires.......options in that size are pretty limited.....and most are listed as "max performance summer tires"....which I'm assuming aren't going to last very long on a daily drive Touareg that seems mostly highway miles, and aren't to be that great during the colder months of the year.

I have two questions.

1. Is there any other tire size that fits on that oem 19" wheel that would give me more options on tires to choose from?

2. What's a good tire that's going to last for a long time on the highway, but will still work well during the winter months?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
984 Posts
Bridgestone Dueller H/P Sport 265/50 R19 110W were the tyres fitted to my UK market 2015/16 Touareg - other top line summer tyres available in that size/speed are Continental CrossContact UHP, Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric SUV, Michelin Latitude Sport, Pirelli Scorpion Verde and Pirelli P Zero.

If you drop the speed rating to V you can include Michelin Latitude Tour HP, Michelin Latitude Sport 3.

For All-Season V-rated, there's Goodyear Eagle LS2 and Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season.

For Winter V-rated, there's Dunlop SP Winter Sport and Pirelli Scorpion Winter

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have two questions. 1. Is there any other tire size that fits on that oem 19" wheel that would give me more options on tires to choose from? 2. What's a good tire that's going to last for a long time on the highway, but will still work well during the winter months? Thanks!!
I run 255/55 R19. They are less than 3% different in diameter (taller) than factory size. You Do Not need to run an 'N0' spec tire.

I run Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L, which have the same load and speed rating as factory spec. They also have an 800 wear rating. Good performance in snow, quiet, and they are wearing well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run 255/55 R19. They are less than 3% different in diameter (taller) than factory size. You Do Not need to run an 'N0' spec tire.

I run Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L, which have the same load and speed rating as factory spec. They also have an 800 wear rating. Good performance in snow, quiet, and they are wearing well.

What's the difference in width between the 275/45 and 255/55 ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Since i wanted a taller sidewall, and a slightly narrower width, I went with the 255/55.

The width difference is 3/4" wider, and almost 3/4" shorter for the 275/45 vs 255/55. There are also far fewer tire choices in 275/45, and they are more expensive. Tire Rack shows 13 choices in 275/45 vs 21 choices in 255/55 (including the Alenzas). 275/45 simply isn't worth it.

Use this to compare the differences in tires:

Tire Size Calculator - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you like, you can also choose 265/50R19. I just downgraded the size from 275/45R19. Slightly larger though.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I checked the diary - there's still 11 days to go until April Fool's Day!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as tire model/brands go……is there anything cheaper and longer lasting than the Continental Contact Extreme DWS tires that are currently on there? The local tire shop quoted me $1,497 after mount/balance, and tax. OUCH! :(

What about “off brand” tires like Achilles Desert Hawk UHP ($126), Nexen Roadian HP ($122), or Federal Couragia F/X ($125). For a daily driver that sees mostly highway miles…..is there any reason not to save over $900 and just order four of the offbrand tires off of Amazon (free shipping) and then pay a tire shop $20 each to mount and balance?

Yes, I know that you get what you pay for……but paying $1,497 for name brand tires vs. $584 for off brand……that’s a savings of more than half! Hard to at least not look into it……

·
Registered
848 Posts
Since i wanted a taller sidewall, and a slightly narrower width, I went with the 255/55.

The width difference is 3/4" wider, and almost 3/4" shorter for the 275/45 vs 255/55. There are also far fewer tire choices in 275/45, and they are more expensive. Tire Rack shows 13 choices in 275/45 vs 21 choices in 255/55 (including the Alenzas). 275/45 simply isn't worth it.

Use this to compare the differences in tires:

Tire Size Calculator - Discount Tire Direct
3/4" shorter? Doesn't this screw with the speedo and/or traction control?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I moved from Continental DWS to Toyo. A set is around $800.

As far as tire model/brands go……is there anything cheaper and longer lasting than the Continental Contact Extreme DWS tires that are currently on there? The local tire shop quoted me $1,497 after mount/balance, and tax. OUCH! :(

What about “off brand” tires like Achilles Desert Hawk UHP ($126), Nexen Roadian HP ($122), or Federal Couragia F/X ($125). For a daily driver that sees mostly highway miles…..is there any reason not to save over $900 and just order four of the offbrand tires off of Amazon (free shipping) and then pay a tire shop $20 each to mount and balance?

Yes, I know that you get what you pay for……but paying $1,497 for name brand tires vs. $584 for off brand……that’s a savings of more than half! Hard to at least not look into it……

·
Registered
305 Posts
3/4" shorter? Doesn't this screw with the speedo and/or traction control?
It's negligible. Maybe 2 MPH. Traction control isn't impacted.

I went taller from the stock 265/50 to the 255/55. 1/3" narrower, and 1/3" taller.

I wanted more tire choices, and I refuse to pay the hostage prices of an 'N0' spec tire, which isn't necessary.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about running a 285/45/19? I saw some posts where guys were running them. They said that they were an "approved" tire size for the 19" wheels, and they were just slightly wider....but still a decent amount cheaper than the 275/45/19's. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
305 Posts
What about running a 285/45/19? I saw some posts where guys were running them. They said that they were an "approved" tire size for the 19" wheels, and they were just slightly wider....but still a decent amount cheaper than the 275/45/19's. Any truth to that?
No, no truth to it. First, forget about the notion of "Approved". This size is virtually all summer tires, and relatively expensive Tire a rack didn't show any All Season. 285/45 is the BMW/Mercedes spec. "Spec" tires are generally soft, with relatively few choices, and wear ratings that perform poorer against other choices.

255/55 is your best bet, with good wear, load and speed ratings, choices, and cost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts