Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post...love the forum. I've just recently acquired a new to me '06 Touareg v6 that seems to me to be the perfect vehicle. I love it. However, when i had the tires rotated I noticed a pronounced "clicking" sound coming from the front passenger side wheel. i took it back to the shop and they re-rotated the tires (no help there as they still needed to be rotated) and the clicking stopped. I made them rotate them back and the clicking came back. Anyone have a clue as to what this can be? the clicking speeds up with the car and slows down as well. no change in the sound when i brake. no changes in handling are noticeable. visual inspection provides no clue. help!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Sounds like a driveshaft center bearing is preparing to go out. Coincidental with your tire r&b. Your r&b would not have anything to do with this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply...any reason you can think of that only one wheel will make the noise? If it's the drive shaft why did it not make that noise when the tires were un-rotated?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
It may be simply a matter of timing. I've been thinking about this... make sure you have the axle boot on that right front wheel checked. If it's got a hole in it and grease is falling out... you could have an axle on the blink.

Of course... these are worse-case scenarios and if you're under warranty still... I would have it checked out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TREG, thanks a ton for the second brain (i.e. two brains being better than one). The dealer says the clicking is the brakes going out...30 pad on front, 20 on back...he thinks they're the original pads (which would be amazing...must have been highway driven mostly). they say i'll have to replace the brakes to be sure it's not the bearing...eliminate the possible problem to the tune of 1400 bucks...ha! I'll probably replace them myself soon, but I wonder if they'll use the fact that i did the brakes myself to claim THAT is the reason the bearing goes bad? Anyway, thanks...

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
enough stuff on here on how to do the brakes your self.
other possible reason is that the wheels were not torqued right.
Try to tighten them up a little and see what happens.
Brakes are not related to a tire rotation I think
Check the inside of your rims where they stick to the axle.
make sure it is clean

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
When I read the first post, the thing that came to mind was a stone or similiar caught in the tread.

I wouldn't have thought it was the drive shaft if, by that, you mean what we call the prop shaft. That would rumble and knock regardless of what you did with the wheels - it is very pronounced when it goes and you'd feel it through the centre arm rest as the bearing that fails is underneath it. Also, although some have reported failures at low miles and some at quite high miles, most people seem to report this failure happening around 60-70,000 miles.

As for the brakes, I think the price you've been quoted is for discs or rotors all round plus the pads plus the brake wear sensors.

At the mileage indicated I'd check carefully whether or not you really need new discs / rotors, otherwise if it is just the pads, yes there is plenty of info on how to do these yourself but if you are not confident, any good local garage can do them and you won't be paying main VW dealer hourly rates or mark ups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
excellent feedback! Thanks very much...NLtomba-i also thought of torque right off (i check 'em with a t wrench 'cause shops screw it up alot)...all 4 @120 ft lbs.... the wheel in question had a wheel weight on the inside between the wheel and tire (the others were on the outside of the wheel and did not touch rubber)...i took it off, thinking for sure that was the prob...no luck. same exact noise. My visual inspection (jacked and jack standed) showed a very clean wheel well, c/v joint boot perfect.

nooby: checked tires carefully as i thought the same. And, yes that was the quote for a complete brake job...i'll check the rotor but so many say to replace w/pads...totally confident and will do it...sooner if i don't have to replace the rotors!

Again, thanks for the additional brainpower!

·
Registered
193 Posts
This may be a long shot, but check your wheel bolts and see if one of them is sticking out of the back of the hub and hitting anything when its rotating. I've had aftermarket wheel bolts that were too long cause clicking noises on another car.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Try rotating left to right, in stead of back to front. See if that makes any difference.

Also, one of my tyres has a flat spot which causes a whoop-whoop noise, but it's much more pronounced with the suspect wheel at the back than at the front. I think it has to do with resonance in the cab and different noise insulation in the wheel arches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts