Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 2011 Touareg Sport and it had new Cooper M&S tires on it. It handled great on the snow and ice yesterday on our first trip, but I think I am getting a great deal of tire noise when we drive. This vehicle has it's fourth set of tires on it in 53,000 miles. Would it make sense to buy a set of all-season or highway tires to put on in the spring and run until the late fall when it starts to snow? Or, does this vehicle just eat up tires and I have to live with it?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
The Touareg eats tires. If you can get 25k on a set of all-seasons, you are doing good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
5500lbs all wheel drive 400+ftlbs of torque
Add all that up and thats ur answer all so how hard u drive is a variable

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Alignment, pressure, driving style. All factor in tire wear. I get great life on tires, I check pressure once a month, rotate and alignment check one a year. Tires need to be the right load rating for this heavy a vehicle. You also can't drive like nascar and expect long life.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm at 25,000 miles on my second set of tires and will have about 10,000 more miles to go before I need another set.

Buy cheap tires, buy them more often.

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
They have weight and are AWD. AWD being the biggest reason you wear tires more then a two wheel drive vehicle. Tire shop I deal with say they see this with every AWD vehicle. None of them ever get many miles out of tires. Everyone thinks it is a design fault and it isn't really.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No doubt Cooper tires suck, but that's what is on the vehicle now so, for the time being, that's what I will use. We'll see what kind of mileage I get out of them here in a while. Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
I run Cooper on mine as well and I don't have an issue with them. They are noisy, but most AT tires are. I have gotten over 30K out of mine, but no where near the 50K tread wear warranty. Hence why I always get a prorated pricing on a new set.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Would it make sense to buy a set of all-season or highway tires to put on in the spring and run until the late fall when it starts to snow? Or, does this vehicle just eat up tires and I have to live with it?
You don't say where in the USA you are but if you're in one of the states that has a winter that's definitely what I'd do.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Try a set of Hankook Dynapro's I can't wear them out. Get the load rating of 109 or better and keep them at 42 psi. I get better than 50k out of them. Great in the mud and quiet.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I run Mastercraft Courser MSR tires (studded) for the winter. Mastercraft is part of Cooper, so likely similar in terms of quality. I have no wear problems with mine, but only run mine during certain winter months for about 3-4k miles annually...I would never run these in the warmer months as the rubber is super soft and would wear terrible.

As far as getting more bang for your buck (miles out of tires specifically) there are tires out there that will see 60-70k on a Treg...but you have to live with certain disadvantages like noise, reduced mpg, and inferior performance. For example, I run BFG A/T KO tires that still have well over half the tread remaining and currently have just under 60k on them. Yes running winter tires on separate rims has helped prolong their life too, but I still feel I could have gotten 60-70k without a separate winter tire.

The BF T/A KO tires are a well known example in the greater 4X4 community for being long life quality tires. BUT like I said there are trade offs for this...not for everyone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was looking in Tire Rack and ran across some Pirelli A/S Plus tires that were rated pretty high. Has anybody put Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus on their vehicle and, if so, have you been happy with the performance as well as mileage wear?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Love them. Have to get the Plus version...OEM version is not good. I had two sets of the Conti DWS tires. Good tires but wanted to try the Pirellis specifically because it was the top rated tire on Tire Rack.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Love them. Have to get the Plus version...OEM version is not good. I had two sets of the Conti DWS tires. Good tires but wanted to try the Pirellis specifically because it was the top rated tire on Tire Rack.
The DWS 06 is the high performance all season top rated tire on Tire Rack.com.

Are the Plus' cheaper than the DWS'?

What do you love about the Pirelli's?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Three months ago the Pirellis were 1 and DWS 06 was 2. Anyway, both a great tires. The Pirellis handle the same but to me the biggest difference is the Pirellis are quieter. I've only had them about three months so maybe it's just the new shoes feeling.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Throwing in for Nitto Terra Grapplers. I love 'em. Great on the road (not that noisy), great in the snow, great off road and wear like iron!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts