Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Yes. The first time the problem occurred was about a month after I bought it - the system indicated that I had low pressure on the rear right tire. I checked it out and it was fine - normal pressure. Eventually the warning went away, so I figured it was just a bug that worked itself out (yeah, right!). This past weekend, the indicator first told me that there was a defective tire on board...which I ignored for awhile...but then it told me that the tire was flat, and subsequently "locked" me out of my steering wheel control and front display (when there's a serious problem, the display simply doesn't work in the driver's side dash). So I'm pretty sure I just have to take the care in to be serviced. Maybe I'll have some other software updated in the meantime.

· Registered
2 Posts
Tire Pressure Monitor issues

I don't know if it a learning disability or what! I have a little over 14000 miles on mine and the tire pressure monitor only works sporadically. the module has been replaced once and reset a few times. What happens with mine is that everytime I drive more than 20 minutes, I get a TPM System fault which indicates that the TPM is not working during that time. It will come and go with no apparant reason. This is great on a road trip :( it doesn't work when you need it! The dealer tells me all the Touaregs have the same problem and it's because VW has set the tolerances too tight. Is anybody else putting up with this or should I call VW?

· Registered
866 Posts
Re: Tire Pressure Monitor issues

Good -EG 2 said:
I don't know if it a learning disability or what! I have a little over 14000 miles on mine and the tire pressure monitor only works sporadically. the module has been replaced once and reset a few times. What happens with mine is that everytime I drive more than 20 minutes, I get a TPM System fault which indicates that the TPM is not working during that time. It will come and go with no apparant reason. This is great on a road trip :( it doesn't work when you need it! The dealer tells me all the Touaregs have the same problem and it's because VW has set the tolerances too tight. Is anybody else putting up with this or should I call VW?
Blatantly false. My TPM system has worked fine for a year, with no problems at all.

· Registered
46 Posts
Mine works perfectly, also. Just had the tires rotated and balanced by a TIRE place (gave the dealer a break from having to put up with me :smile: ). They decided I needed 35 psi in both front and rear....the TPM was not happy about that at all and told me I had 2 defective rear tires. Now, I follow the advice of the sticker on my door about the inflation of my tires(more air in rears than in fronts) and since my fronts were now my rears, the TPM warned me as it should. I re-inflated to proper psi, relearned and that thing was dead on..set the exact pressure that my tire gauge said. It did seem to take it awhile(20 mins or so) to relearn the pressure but it was really cold here that nite.

· Registered
45 Posts
tire alert

2 things: 1 my alarm came on saying i had a low tire. I ignored it because "its a touareg, those things are never right" later checked the tires and one had a big bolt in it and only 20 pounds in it. moral: if your trex crys wolf, maybe you should pay attention. 2: you mentioned that your inside door said more pressure in rear tires than front?? mine says 45 in front , and 39 in back.

· Registered
53 Posts
Re: tire alert

biggeno said:
2 things: 1 my alarm came on saying i had a low tire. I ignored it because "its a touareg, those things are never right" later checked the tires and one had a big bolt in it and only 20 pounds in it. moral: if your trex crys wolf, maybe you should pay attention. 2: you mentioned that your inside door said more pressure in rear tires than front?? mine says 45 in front , and 39 in back.
Same here. My low pressure warning and finally flat tire warning came on and I ignored it because the tires "looked" OK. Finally, after two weeks of annoying beeps, I checked the tire pressure and found that my pressure was below 30 psi. I guess the damn thing works!!!! :joy:

· Registered
6 Posts
biggeno said:
mine says 45 in front , and 39 in back.
The sticker on the inside of my Touareg's driver door indicates that Cold Tire Inflation Pressure should be 39 for front tires and 45 for rear tires. I'm not sure why it doesn't match yours. Mine is a 2004 V8 VIN:69xxx.

Since I purchased the vehicle a month ago, the TPMS has been reporting 39 PSI for all four tires. Everything seems to be working just fine. So should I really add more air to the rear tires to get them close to 45, or just leave them at 39? I generally subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought, but I'm willing to change my ways if it would make the Egg even happier :smile:

· Registered
866 Posts
planekrazy said:
biggeno said:
mine says 45 in front , and 39 in back.
The sticker on the inside of my Touareg's driver door indicates that Cold Tire Inflation Pressure should be 39 for front tires and 45 for rear tires. I'm not sure why it doesn't match yours. Mine is a 2004 V8 VIN:69xxx.

Since I purchased the vehicle a month ago, the TPMS has been reporting 39 PSI for all four tires. Everything seems to be working just fine. So should I really add more air to the rear tires to get them close to 45, or just leave them at 39? I generally subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought, but I'm willing to change my ways if it would make the Egg even happier :smile:
39F/45R is the fully loaded pressures. If you normally drive with cargo and/or a full load of passengers, you should increase the rears. If you typically drive alone, then what you are at should be okay. If your typical use is somewhere between, then you may want to pump the rears up to 42 or so.

In any case, as you adjust the pressure, use an accurate handheld guage, not the MFI didplay, to set them to the desired pressure. Do this with the tires cold, like after sitting overnight. It's crucial that you get both tires on the same axle as close to equal as possible. Once done, put the TPMS into learn mode, then drive for up to 15 minutes (preferably at highway speeds). This sets the TPMS to monitor your current set pressure.

After learning, the TPMS display may show the pressure slightly different than what you measured with the handheld guage. This is okay.

Don't be afraid of changing pressure if you need to. Don't be afraid of the TPMS, just learn how to use it. It's really simple.

· Registered
45 Posts
tire pressure

unless i am drinking some bad beer, i am sure mine says cold pressure 45 FRONT, 39 REAR. service rep says thats too high for everyday driving so i put 40 all around....probably get about 10,000 miles out of this set of tires!!!!!

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,305 Posts
My TOUAREG with 17s says 36 front / 44 rear on cold inflate.

I am running 40 all the way around. My tires are shot already, but it's not because of tire inflation. Damn sucky 200 treadwear tires.

· Registered
866 Posts
Re: tire pressure

biggeno said:
unless i am drinking some bad beer, i am sure mine says cold pressure 45 FRONT, 39 REAR. service rep says thats too high for everyday driving so i put 40 all around....probably get about 10,000 miles out of this set of tires!!!!!
I recommend RedHook ESB, or RedHook Winterhook (when available). Sam Adams is good too, though you can't beat an ice cold Bud for a summer "lawnmower" brew.

:drunk:

· Registered
6 Posts
4x4s, thank you, I really appreciate your thorough response. The details you provided are very helpful.
biggeno, what do you mean "bad beer" ;)
TREGinginCO thanks for the info.
Alright, we're just barely a day short of bringing in the New Year \:D/ but why wait to the last minute to celebrate, drinks for everybody :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

· Registered
45 Posts
bad beer

good point: there is no such thing as bad beer, unless it sits around and goes flat, and that never happens in my house!! My trex is a V8 with 18 in wheels. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, May your trips to the dealer's service dept be few in 2005.

· Registered
33 Posts
Tire Rotation

If i rotate my own tires and put the correct amount of air in, will i have to reset the tpm.

04 T-reg v8, reflex silver with anthracite Bi-xennon sound system1
winter pkg.[/b]

· Registered
866 Posts
Re: Tire Rotation

bostonron said:
If i rotate my own tires and put the correct amount of air in, will i have to reset the tpm.

04 T-reg v8, reflex silver with anthracite Bi-xennon sound system1
winter pkg.[/b]
I suppose if you get the pressures set the same as before rotation, you wouldn't need to. But why shy away from it? It's not hard.

· Registered
114 Posts
OK, now I'm having problems with the Learning cycle of the TPMS. After 1 hr and 15 minutes of the Treg sitting there running after pressing the "Store" and then "On" menu picks the darn thing still shows it can't communicate because it's still 'Learning". How long does it take for the TPMS to finish the learning cycle? Does the car have to be running during this time or just the ignition turned to on. Can someone describe in detail a successful "learning" process....BTW the manual is unless.... :chainsaw:

· Registered
161 Posts
Dusty Dog
Are driving while learning or at a stand still? i believe the TPMS only "learns" after a couple of miles of driving.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.