Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our (new to us) '05 V8 does not have a TPMS. We just purchased 4 wheels for snow tires and they do have the sensors. Is the TPMS something that can be turned on with a Vagcom, or is there a separate module in the dash/car that would have been part of that option had it been ordered? Thank You

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
with your vin# you can ask the dealers if yours should have the feature or not.
Actaully most people here would have been happy knowing they did not have one (once you know how much replacement would be)

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Your car almost certainly came with a TPMS system from the factory. Just because you don't have sensors in the wheels does not mean the system is missing. It is possible someone has used a VAG-COM to disable the system when they removed the sensors. If you want to know for sure, check your VIN with a dealer.

If you want to put the system back in service. We are currently doing a group buy for a set of 4 sensors and valve stems for $360. You'll then need to reenable the TPMS system once the wheels wtih the sensors ar back on the car.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Our (new to us) '05 V8 does not have a TPMS. We just purchased 4 wheels for snow tires and they do have the sensors. Is the TPMS something that can be turned on with a Vagcom, or is there a separate module in the dash/car that would have been part of that option had it been ordered? Thank You
I also have an '05 V8 and it came from the factory without TPMS.

There is no way to turn this feature on in a Touareg that did not come with it from the factory - there is onboard hardware missing that is required to make the system work.

I do not miss having TPMS and from what I have read here, am glad I do not have to deal with the Idiosyncrasies of the system - and the expense of having to replace the sensors when the batteries die.

You could just leave the sensors in place, they will do no harm, or you could replace them with standard valve stems. Either way, you will not have TPMS in your car, but I would not view that as a great loss.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Hey Dick, Matt's 05 V6 did not have TPMS from the factory either. So it was it seems not a required option on 05. It seems 05 they were getting away from that old system.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
You could just leave the sensors in place, they will do no harm, or you could replace them with standard valve stems. Either way, you will not have TPMS in your car, but I would not view that as a great loss.

HTH
You can leave the sensors there because you may not find a tire place that will remove them. Even if you tell them you don't have the system, they will not remove them in most cases. I had it removed from my 04 and my tire shop refused to remove the sensors and put in regular valve stems. So they just stayed in the wheels with every tire change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts