Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could really find an answer in the searching but I may not be using the right terms...

I have stock 19" and my door card shows 35 psi front and 38 psi rear. I now no longer have any 19s, I have 18" winters and 20" for summer. Is the suggested psi still the same for all wheel sizes?

-Kevin

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Same on all tires.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe you will find the answer in your owners manual.
Yes, RTFM would be a good sentiment for this thread. I didn't think of that and only read the door sticker, not thinking that the manual would show the different stock wheel options.

This is why I've been searching high and low for a searchable PDF copy of my manual, but nothing yet. VW has the 'Know your VW' app, but that only has basic information and not the in-depth info that the manual has available.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Used to be able to access an online copy of the owners manual online but cannot seem to be able to find it from my phone this morning. The know your VW app does have some utility but I wish the owners manual was a part of the package.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine does say 39 for the rears, the 38 is just a typo above. I guess that makes sense as my vehicle is a little heavier?

-Kevin

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've always said that the tyre manufacturer knows more about the tyre construction and intended use than the car manufacturer does. Follow the tyre manufacturer's recommendation.
Witness the Explorer/Firestone debacle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Beware, all tires have their own maximum pressures. Read the sidewall of each and every tire you ever buy to be sure you're not loading it past its max, or inflating it beyond its limit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Case in point on beware the limits of the tire-mounted.

My '07 V10 pressure placard says:
front: 255/55R18 @ 41psi
rear: 255/55R18 @ 45psi

My Michelin MS2/s in either a 255/55 or the 265/60 currently mounted limit out at 44psi... So did pretty much all the SL and XL rated tires I've mounted before.

While I've never had a tire last longer than 30k no matter what pressures I run; I will say the ride and handling are much better in my opinion running 45F and 41R pressures. If towing with a large load at the hitch, 45/45.

The really sad part, I have yet to wear the inside ribs of a tire, always the outside ribs which are classic "under inflation" indications.

Love the machine, but hate it's appetite for tires.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My manual (2009) has the same (cold) inflation pressures for VW stock 17", 18" and 19" tire sizes. For a given pressure and wheel load, the total contact patch area remains the same, no matter the size of the tire (load/pressure = area). However, I agree with checking your manual to be sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts