Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered how accurate built in pressure readings are. I was having trouble getting pressure settled at recommended so bought a cheap gauge. Ignore gauge and go with displayed pressure(2014)? Hand held gauge reading 3 psi less all around. This whole process started because dealer suggested 38/42 instead of 33/38. VW says no way. I have gone so far as to buy a highly rated gauge to see if any difference. Does built in gauge ever need re-calibrating?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have a nice gauge and it is spot on with the MFI readings.

I run mine 36 and 41

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I've found the Touareg TPMS sensors agree within about 0.5 psi with my Moroso dial-type gauge. Very accurate.

I use the numbers the TPMS display recommends. which should agree with the label on the driver-side door jamb.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I've been running 39/41 and the MFD agrees.

This past winter, when the fronts got down to 34/35, it felt like the steering was a LOT less sharp, I prefer the 39/41.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My digital handheld gauge reads 2 psi over what the MFD says on all tires. Is there a way to reset/re-calibrate the TPMS and MFD readings?

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,197 Posts
My digital handheld gauge reads 2 psi over what the MFD says on all tires. Is there a way to reset/re-calibrate the TPMS and MFD readings?
It may be your handheld digital gauge that's reading high - just get used to that difference.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My $15 Accutire digital gauges match my TPMS within the 0.5 precision of the digital gauges. I periodically compare all the digital gauges to each other, and if I get an outlier it goes in the trash.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Your hand held gauge will not be as accurate. These sensors are tested and held to very high standards. Top gauges at auto parts stores will vary 2 pounds when new. They get less accurate with use. Water vapor in the air, salt and sand from the road, and handling all take a toll. A lot of mechanics still have their gauge from votech school. Might as well thump them like truck drivers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts