Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 V6 T'reg with approximately 60K miles. Recently the shifter / trans may be experiencing some issues.

When putting the trans into D the dash indicator goes into 6 5 4 3 2 1, even when not in the "manual" shift mode. If I do move the shifter over into the manual area I can't get the transmission to change gears manually and the rpm's will almost redline before shifting automatically. However, if I drop the shifter into the Sport mode the monitor changes back into PRNDS*. (* being whatever gear the vehicle is in when running at speed.)

When in Sport the transmission shifts without issue and the vehicle runs like a champ. When cruising if I move back into the D position the monitor will change back into 6 5 4 3 2 1 and the gear that the vehicle was in will be highlighted. When slowing the gears will drop as normal, but when accelerating the gears will not change up.

After driving for between 10 - 20 minutes if I come to a stop and put the vehicle back into D the monitor will revert back to normal PRNDS* and stay in this configuration until my next stop than will go back into the 6 5 4 3 2 1 .

Is there a sensor in the shfter that maybe 'skipping'? Has anyone heard of this and is there a fix?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds electrical

·
Registered
7 Posts
Manual Shift Problems with the V10

Hallo,

My V10 the last days, when I try to shift the gears in manual mode nothing happens!! The display remains as the automatic shift and I cannot downshift the gears. In the automatic mode is working perfect is the D-mode or S-mode
If anyone have any idea please let my know.

Many thanks:writers_block:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hallo,

My V10 the last days, when I try to shift the gears in manual mode nothing happens!! The display remains as the automatic shift and I cannot downshift the gears. In the automatic mode is working perfect is the D-mode or S-mode
If anyone have any idea please let my know.

Many thanks:writers_block:
The Problem solved with changing the circuit under the shift plate and putting in place one small magnet which exist under this circuit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before to change the circuit that is beneath the plastic cover of the gear shifter check if two small magnets are in place on the rubber cover that is moving when you change shifts. These magnets are giving the position of the gear shift to the circuit. There are small, one is square shape and it is very difficult to take it out the other is circular and you can take it out very easy. It is important the circular one to put it with the right orientation ( I mean the north and south pole ) if you put it in place and doesn't work try to change the orientation.
Me I have changed the circuit also but I think the problem was in the circular magnet taken out by a coin dropped in the shifter.:D

Best regards

Stefanos

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you figure this out??? because mine is doing this right now :( please let me know
It cost about $1200 at the mechanic because the printed circuit was damaged from the previous owner had spilled soda into the shifter. The other poster is also correct about the magnets, etc. This is not a DIY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tiptronic shifter trouble

is there a training video on how to repair this problem shifter no longer working in drive mode or manual mode, must be in sport and tyhen will only shift to 4th gear, i can not afford to take to a dealer and am pretty handy with tools, but would like a video to watch, to get proper procedure before i tear into this problem, appreciate any help i can get.:confused:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
is there a training video on how to repair this problem shifter no longer working in drive mode or manual mode, must be in sport and tyhen will only shift to 4th gear, i can not afford to take to a dealer and am pretty handy with tools, but would like a video to watch, to get proper procedure before i tear into this problem, appreciate any help i can get.:confused:
Hi
If your handy replacement of the printed circuit is very easy .
I had mine out for another issue recently and it was fairly simple.

regards
Dragline

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just curious if the problem has been resolved and what the fix was. I am experiencing the same issues and looing for info. I suspect the magnet allignment may be the issue

·
Registered
83 Posts
I came to the conclusion that I am missing one magnet and have been told that will fix it. It's this piece,,,part # 8E1713187F. I found it at a vw dealer online for $98.17. It's on it's way so I will post the results although I am 99% certain it will remedy the problem. What seems to happen is that this magnet brakes off because it's a rigid thin plastic. It appears it could break off if you yank the lever out of tip mode real hard. Here is a pick of it, part on the left! There should be 2 silver magnets on this part

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Well done. Good that someone comes back with parts numbers and pix. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks, dropping a coin down in this area could snap of the rigid mounted magnet. Coins should be kept away from the shift area at all costs knowing a little magnet could cost you $100, and even a few hrs labor from a dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thank you for the pictures, as it helped me troubleshoot (hopefully) my tiptronic problem.
I was lucky enough to find the magnet when I took the console apart, so a little bit of super glue and I should be back in business!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Same problem with mine @ 115,000km
Waiting on parts to get fitted next week.

Dealer I brought it from from tried the old "just drive it in D and you'll be right"
Yeah right....... maaate..... NOT :anger:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Part Number 8E1713187F

Had the same problem when I bought mine. Seller wanted 500USD to fix. Replaced this part for 100USD. Flawless performance since.

My magnets were not lining up appropriately due to the rubber cover that the magnets are attached to being torn. Found a dime stuck in down in there upon disassembly as the culprit.

The hardest part was getting the shifter nob back on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts