Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background
I currently have a 2008 V6 TDI 4XMotion Touareg and am looking to replace it. Current uses are around town, highway touring, some towing and off road work but nothing too serious - I rarely use the low ratio or the diff locks however it was good to know they were there. Have a spare 17" wheel which I cart around for a bit of off road security.

What to Update to
Based on my own experiences and those of others on this forum I wouldn't hesitate to get another 4XMotions however there are very few 2013/2014 models available - looks like I may have to settle for a 4Motion 2013 or 2014 model with air suspension.

Off Road
How capable are the 4Motions off road - I have read many forum posts but am still none the wiser?
150 Vs 180 - I don't really need the extra power but the air lift suspension would be handy for better ground clearance. Apart from that and the 18" v 20" wheels and a few nice things inside there is not much difference - apart from approx. $12,000. I assume they are both just as capable off road as both use the Torsen system - any comments?

"Lock" Button
The 180 has a "lock" button next to the off road dial (the 150 does not) - does this lock the centre diff. If so does this mean drive can be through the front and rear axles at the same time which makes the 180 a better option?

Its not a Jeep
I have driven the GC and the latest Prado and would still prefer the Touareg but would like to better understand what it can do off road - thanks for your comments

·
Registered
243 Posts
'Lock' button locks height level of air suspension. Without locking, air suspension level has speed constraints. E.g if you select 'off-road' height, the air suspension will automatically revert to 'on-road' height at 70 kph, and won't resume 'off-road' height until below 40 kph. If you 'lock' the air suspension having selected 'off-road' height, the electronic wizardry will limit your max speed to 70kph, no matter how hard you depress the accelerator pedal.

When stationary, holding down the 'Lock' button for about 7 secs will select 'Jacking Mode'. It's all in the manual.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Would be worth reading this recent thread on views on off-road capabilities.... http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/heavy-sand-work-or-rutted-rocky-tracks-in-2012-or-later-218290-2.html

I own a 2014 4XMotion and have had it now for 9 months. To answer a few of your questions, in my opinion:
1. Air Suspension - excellent feature and I use it regularly off-road to gain better ground clearance. Plus the auto levelling with towing is another benefit.
2. 150/180 - I have the 180, haven't driven the 150. The 180 has all the power I have ever needed, and I am sure the 150 would be the similar.
3. Off-road Capability - read above thread. I owned a 2012 Prado, and I am more than convinced my Touareg will go anywhere the Prado went and more. With the low-range and diff locks, the Touareg will go further than most people would ever be game to climb/descend/travel over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was in a similar position to you, I sold a V8 Grand Cherokee and purchased a 2013 4Motion Touareg.

The lack of a low range transfer case and locking diffs concerned me a lot, but to be honest with all the electronics on board I don't think you really need them anymore. First gear in the 8 speed is damn low and the grunt from the 180Kw diesel really negates the need for low range in my view.

The air suspension is terrific, I also tow a caravan and the self leveling is superb.

After a few trips and some off road travel I have grown to feel confident that these rigs are damn capable. It does feel a little weird not having a low range but i think that stems from the old guys and their definition of soft roaders.

The biggest issue is always going to be road tires.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.
I will continue too look for a late model 4xMotion however if nothing turns up in the next month I will go for the 4Motion and try to pick up some 18" wheels

1 - 5 of 5 Posts