Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wear indicator has come on @ 75,000 miles, time for brakes! The plan is to have the dealer do the work, expensive I know, but I really have no desire to do this job out in the cold! I'll post the total for the job in a couple weeks...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Why on earth would you go to the dealer for brakes? Surely there's a decent indy shop around you that you can go to? Going to the dealer for anything other than warranty work is absurd, imho.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really any indy I would use for this car, I have a good one for domestics. I have all the necessary tools for the job, but no indoor space to work. I just dont want the hassle and typically get a decent cash discount for non warranty work the dealer has done for me in the past.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above no one should be paying dealer rates for brakes which can usually be done by any competent workshop using OEM parts for less money.

Get a quote from your local workshop as well as your dealer.

Also your dealer will probanly want to do all 4 corners with rotors and pads when it may be you only need new pads on the front or new front rotors and pads.

A good workshop will measure your rotors first to see if they are still serviceable though admittedly the VW rotors have very little wear tolerance, but it's all worth checking out properly before spending cash you don't need to.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As above no one should be paying dealer rates for brakes which can usually be done by any competent workshop using OEM parts for less money.
Contrasting absolutes here, mate! I disagree.

“No one should” is then watered down with a “can usually be done...for less” qualifier.

Which is it?

I’ve compared my dealer costs to local Indy shops over the past 13years/ 230,000 miles of driving various Touaregs and my dealership has always been competitive with service prices..so much so I don’t bother comparing anymore.

My service department ensures the safety and reliability of my cars for me and we each work hard on the relationship.

Cheers

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not really any indy I would use for this car
You're having your brakes replaced, not your engine rebuilt. Any decent indy is more than competent to do this.

But if you really have a heavy wallet that you're just itching to lighten, I'll PM you my PayPal. :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Contrasting absolutes here, mate! I disagree.

“No one should” is then watered down with a “can usually be done...for less” qualifier.

Which is it?

I’ve compared my dealer costs to local Indy shops over the past 13years/ 230,000 miles of driving various Touaregs and my dealership has always been competitive with service prices..so much so I don’t bother comparing anymore.

My service department ensures the safety and reliability of my cars for me and we each work hard on the relationship.

Cheers
If you trust your dealer and think they're competitive, thats great.

Regrettably there have been enough reports on here and elsewhere over the oast decade of dealers clearly gouging their customers over brakes that I stand by my remarks regardless of how they're worded!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The annual Veyron service is $21,000.

The tyres need replacing every 2,500 miles and cost $33,000.

The wheels themselves are changed every 10,000 miles at a cost of $50,000.

The annual car property tax in the likes of VA and CA is $50,000 per annum.

Strangely I can't find the cost of a brake change.

Perhaps ZippyLube could do them in a couple of hours!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had good success purchasing the pads and rotors online and having my indy fit them without issue. Oil changes and brake jobs are their bread and butter, so competence isn't an issue.

That way I know what I am getting in terms of quality of parts.

If it was me, I'd get phone quotes for parts and labor from both a dealer and an indy for a front brake job, plus a labor only quote from the indy and then take it from there.

Once it's in the shop have them look at the rears and give you measurements of pads and rotors and decide whether they are necessary now or can be scheduled later

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The wheels themselves are changed every 10,000 miles at a cost of $50,000.
Please refrain from spreading rumors about my future DD..... the wheels are required to be stress tested for cracks.... not necessarily replaced. I for one, plan on driving my Veyron only on salt flats so I believe my wheels will not develop any cracks

>:)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As a fellow Veyron owner perhaps you can help me with mine as, after all, the Bug is really just another VW.

I've got a knocking noise coming through the cubby box between the two front seats when I accelerate, and when the autobox changes down from 5 to 4th on a light trailing throttle at about 40 mph, there's one helluva THUMP, and the front carpet is wet underneath, and there's some wiring in the headlights that seems to have lost its insulation, and the dealer doesn't seem to know much about the car, and . . .

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Sorry bud..... I've never lifted when driving mine (easy to do since it's imaginary) .... it's at constant WOT as soon as it fires up (I almost drive it as hard as that one fellow forum guy who mentioned in almost every single post that "no one drives as hard as him".... his name escapes me now, but we all know who)

Ok.... I'm not jacking this thread.
Sorry to the OP

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
LOL!

And now, back to boring old Touareg breaks!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok It has probably been covered but what are the OEM of the brakes and what are the qualities of others.

Brembo
Zimmerman
TRW

I was told by a top end VW garage that Zimmerman are the best. He gives my a deal on cost at almost his cost. Full retail on Zimmerman was $1000 CDN just for the parts with new sensors.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe OEM is Brembo. I know I priced el cheapo parts for the job around $400 and good parts put the job around $6-700. I consider the dealer price to be fair here. Could probably save a couple hundred at an independent, although I dont have any here that deal with many German cars. Could save more myself but have no intention of sitting out in the driveway while the wind chill is -34...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Pagid pads.

Brembo rotors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was given a quote at the dealer today for rotors, pads, and sensors and it was nearly $1800. I'm going to do them myself.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Why do they need doing?

Is the brake pad wear light on or was this just the dealer telling you they need doing?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts