Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Treg but looking for a car for my two oldest to share. One is 19 and the other 18. It will be their first car. I love the Treg and the Tiguan looks like a mini-Treg. Is it the quality of the Treg? Do you think that it would be a good choice?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
The Tiguan is based on the Golf platform, which is to say very good...its a good purchase in the lower level models and you get that sweet VAG 2.0L turbo which finds its way into so many VWs and Audis, but I find it overpriced as you get it loaded up.

You should be able to get a deal on current models as the '12 is getting a front end facelift to make it look like the rest of the VW lineup.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
The tiguan also has a far superior roll over crash test result compared to other mini-utes.
+1!!!

It is a very tough little vehicle, and unlike the over engineered Touareg, the Tiguan is actually one of the more, pardon the expression, Yota like in reliability in the VW fleet.

I'd buy one for my wife, if it wasn't for the size vs price ratio, as NickM wrote, it is a tad over inflated in the price once you start adding any options package ESPECIALLY 4-MOTION.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
216 Posts
Definitely go ahead with the Tiguan. A couple of weeks ago I spent the afternoon test driving SUVs with my girlfriend. She drove the Nissan Murano, Volvo XC60, drove past a RAV4 and decided not to even bother, same with a Forester and then drove the 2012 Touareg as well as the 2012 Tiguan.

We concluded that the Tiguan was far superior. To EVERY car tested. It was not as bulky and heavy feeling as the Treg or Volvo, was far superior (read "fun to drive") to the Nissan in every way. In fact, the Nissan was so disappointing we were wondering why would anyone even buy that car in the first place!

The Tiguan was fun to drive, was appropriately sized, had plenty of power in that 2.0L Turbo, felt very solid to the road but a good balance of comfort and definitely felt like a luxury car on par w/ the Treg and XC60.

On a second note, my GOD what a POS that new Treg is!!! Holy Jesus, after driving that thing I am not extremely sad I parted w/ my 05 V8. Up until now I just kept telling myself that in a couple of years I'd buy a new one and not have to deal w/ always being concerned about what would break next as was happening w/ the old one, but I trully think that fixing even an '04 Treg would be better off than buying a new one. If anyone is excited about that car, they really did know how awesome the older models were or did not appreciate them for what they were.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Definitely go ahead with the Tiguan. A couple of weeks ago I spent the afternoon test driving SUVs with my girlfriend. She drove the Nissan Murano, Volvo XC60, drove past a RAV4 and decided not to even bother, same with a Forester and then drove the 2012 Touareg as well as the 2012 Tiguan.

We concluded that the Tiguan was far superior. To EVERY car tested. It was not as bulky and heavy feeling as the Treg or Volvo, was far superior (read "fun to drive") to the Nissan in every way. In fact, the Nissan was so disappointing we were wondering why would anyone even buy that car in the first place!

The Tiguan was fun to drive, was appropriately sized, had plenty of power in that 2.0L Turbo, felt very solid to the road but a good balance of comfort and definitely felt like a luxury car on par w/ the Treg and XC60.....
I did exactly what you did, was searching for a compact SUV to replace the Passat TDI, and test drove most of those, including the offering from Ford(escape and the Edge) and Kia(Sorrento). My criteria were quality/looks/room/fuel efficiency whilst maintaining some half decent power in one neat package, with greatest emphasis on rear seat room.

For me the 2011/12 Chevrolet Equiniox won.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
216 Posts
Volkswagendude, how you liking that equinox? The cars we were looking at were for my girlfriend, she refused to look at any GMC, Ford, Chrysler cars. Or any Taiwanese car for that matter. I guess my two VWs and her Toyota made a good impression on the girl. :)

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Volkswagendude, how you liking that equinox? The cars we were looking at were for my girlfriend, she refused to look at any GMC, Ford, Chrysler cars. Or any Taiwanese car for that matter. I guess my two VWs and her Toyota made a good impression on the girl. :)
Simply to "refuse" to look at a product, had sure as hell be supported with at least something, whether it be a bad past experience(understandable), present day bad reviews(understandable), etc... The days of refusing to look at something else, because of brand loyalty, are in my view, not valid as they once were. Manufacturers now and days are now treating us more and more as their numbers crunching strategies dictate, and hence this is how the consumer should act as well in return. The only companies that I see that cater to their clients, are Porsche, to a lesser extent Audi(but still doing a good job), and probably a very few others. Unfortunately in this situation, I did not want a high end vehicle to replace my Passat TDI as the main daily, winter driver for my wife. Our Touareg is already there anyways to meet our other needs, so that immediately scratched out a couple of offerings.

Which brings me now to the USA auto makers(GM and Chrysler). I'll be very honest here, for the last quarter of a century, I've literally held companies like GMC in my armpit for many reasons. Now call it what you want, perhaps perfect timing of what occured with GM and Chrysler the last 4 years, and my getting older and wiser at the same time. This is what I'm getting at so bare with me. It struck me last year, that these guys have absolutely no choice but to come out strong for 2011-2012, or they simply will be doomed. My logic simply dictated, that it was perhaps high time I payed them a visit, especially GM after their Chapter 11 file, keeping an open mind. Turns out, as was my hunch, I believe, IMHO, that they have done a complete 360 on some of their products. Not all but some.
Having virtually cross shopped all of them, unlike what VW and even FORD are doing as far as sales strategies, salesmen tactics, pricing in dealerships, etc around here are concerned, I found that Chevy, GM were the only ones that were pricing a good product aggressively, and on top of that, their sales teams seem to be taking a completely new approach on negotiations and attitude as well. One who wishes to stick to the past and not let go, can argue of course they are pricing aggressively, and still willing to negotiate to drop further, because they suck. Well ladies and gents, I believe this is a historic moment. I woke up one morning, and said to myself, no more of this carrying around a heavy heart, on this brand loyalty thing. There seems to be a half decent product, with excellent pricing, good service, excellent incentives, that I feel, the time is ripe to take advantage of. We all work hard for our money(well I'm guessing some of us do :-lll), and I'm simply following what I believe to be my logical side for once, giving the same company that I held in my armpit for years, a chance to see what they are capable of, in this historic do or die moment.

"Government Motors"(GM) :mrgreen: took Obama's money, payed it back from what I hear, no joke, they seem to be making good use of it from some of their new products that I see rolling out.

BrShootr, I'm very satisfied with quality of the vehicle. From the way the storage bin clicks down, to the voice activated bluetooth with steering controls, hell even the Onstar. If I was to nit pick, and I will, the design of the shape of the instrument cluster dials I'm simply not used to, and although some of the hard plastics are just that, hard, they feel sturdy, long lasting and tight. I bought all this for way under $30000 taxes in BTW! A Tiguan goes for over that with equivalent options. Ditto on the Ford products like the Edge, they were over priced once you requested a simple USB port and forced you to buy the $4000 optional "package"! :mad: Chevy was willing to add it as an a la carte after the sale, mind you, I did have to do some arm twisting O:)

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
"Government Motors"(GM) :mrgreen: took Obama's money, payed it back from what I hear, no joke, they seem to be making good use of it from some of their new products that I see rolling out.
Lets not forget the $8+ Billion the government of Canada loaned GM as well, as well as tax breaks from the province of Ontario to help keep afloat the manufacturing plants here (Notably the Camaro & Truck plants)...so it ain't just Obama's money, its ours too.

That said EVERYONE is making good product now, even the Korean stuff is very good (Go drive a Hyundai Equus for an example of how good things have gotten). IMO saying you won't even test drive a GM/Ford/Chrysler/Anything else is as close minded as people in the 80s saying they wouldn't even look at a "stupid import" because they were "built like crap".

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
I have a Treg but looking for a car for my two oldest to share. One is 19 and the other 18. It will be their first car. I love the Treg and the Tiguan looks like a mini-Treg. Is it the quality of the Treg? Do you think that it would be a good choice?
Do you/your kids need AWD where you live? If not, how about a Jetta or a Golf?

·
Registered
365 Posts
We owned Tiguan 2.0 T 4mot for 8 months, clocked about 28.000 miles on it and traded to Q5.

I had no complaints from Tiguan and I would buy another if we would have use for it. Actually I have been wondering that once the time comes to renew our Jetta, it will either be Passat or Tiguan 4 mot.
Roughly saying Tiguan interior is size of Golf.

Q5 will be renewed to either new Touareg TDI or to new Ram with Cummins (I had Mega cab 4x4 with Cummins few years back).

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
In Europe and States Tiguan is available as FWD or AWD (4 motion).

By the VW specs,

- Golf rear head room 38.5"
- Golf rear leg room is 35.5"

- Tiguan rear head room (with or w/o panorama) 39"
- Tiguan rear leg room 35.8" (Tig rear seat moves forward / back and tilts within its limits)

- Jetta rear head room 37.1"
- Jetta rear leg room 38"

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
IMO if the TDI were offered in the Tiguan it would go from overpriced-not interested to overpriced-but I want one.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's available in Europe.....

Thanks to VAG manager who picks the models to States and Canada importing program, no Q5 TDI nor Tiguan TDI.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Tigs sell well down here. None here have the 'track and field' pack that improves off-road performance. All Tigs were TDI's then the FSI came along. Very safe compact SUV. Too small for me, but a good safe kids car with a bit more room when the rear seats are folded down.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interesting, showed that post to my girlfriend and she said "ok, maybe I should take a look at them." I think the biggest issue is that most people like the Equinox because of the extra space you get for the same price as a Tiguan. We're looking specifically for a small car, which is essentially a fight between a Tiguan and a Forester, IMO. (We need AWD) We haven't looked at the new foresters yet, but I used to own one and absolutely loved that thing.

EDIT: Another "must": A proper manual transmission. :)

Simply to "refuse" to look at a product, had sure as hell be supported with at least something, whether it be a bad past experience(understandable), present day bad reviews(understandable), etc... The days of refusing to look at something else, because of brand loyalty, are in my view, not valid as they once were. Manufacturers now and days are now treating us more and more as their numbers crunching strategies dictate, and hence this is how the consumer should act as well in return. The only companies that I see that cater to their clients, are Porsche, to a lesser extent Audi(but still doing a good job), and probably a very few others. Unfortunately in this situation, I did not want a high end vehicle to replace my Passat TDI as the main daily, winter driver for my wife. Our Touareg is already there anyways to meet our other needs, so that immediately scratched out a couple of offerings.

Which brings me now to the USA auto makers(GM and Chrysler). I'll be very honest here, for the last quarter of a century, I've literally held companies like GMC in my armpit for many reasons. Now call it what you want, perhaps perfect timing of what occured with GM and Chrysler the last 4 years, and my getting older and wiser at the same time. This is what I'm getting at so bare with me. It struck me last year, that these guys have absolutely no choice but to come out strong for 2011-2012, or they simply will be doomed. My logic simply dictated, that it was perhaps high time I payed them a visit, especially GM after their Chapter 11 file, keeping an open mind. Turns out, as was my hunch, I believe, IMHO, that they have done a complete 360 on some of their products. Not all but some.
Having virtually cross shopped all of them, unlike what VW and even FORD are doing as far as sales strategies, salesmen tactics, pricing in dealerships, etc around here are concerned, I found that Chevy, GM were the only ones that were pricing a good product aggressively, and on top of that, their sales teams seem to be taking a completely new approach on negotiations and attitude as well. One who wishes to stick to the past and not let go, can argue of course they are pricing aggressively, and still willing to negotiate to drop further, because they suck. Well ladies and gents, I believe this is a historic moment. I woke up one morning, and said to myself, no more of this carrying around a heavy heart, on this brand loyalty thing. There seems to be a half decent product, with excellent pricing, good service, excellent incentives, that I feel, the time is ripe to take advantage of. We all work hard for our money(well I'm guessing some of us do :-lll), and I'm simply following what I believe to be my logical side for once, giving the same company that I held in my armpit for years, a chance to see what they are capable of, in this historic do or die moment.

BrShootr, I'm very satisfied with quality of the vehicle. From the way the storage bin clicks down, to the voice activated bluetooth with steering controls, hell even the Onstar. If I was to nit pick, and I will, the design of the shape of the instrument cluster dials I'm simply not used to, and although some of the hard plastics are just that, hard, they feel sturdy, long lasting and tight. I bought all this for way under $30000 taxes in BTW! A Tiguan goes for over that with equivalent options. Ditto on the Ford products like the Edge, they were over priced once you requested a simple USB port and forced you to buy the $4000 optional "package"! :mad: Chevy was willing to add it as an a la carte after the sale, mind you, I did have to do some arm twisting O:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
8 months ago my wife and I were on the market for a 2nd vehicle. Requirements were, simply, it had to be safe for her and my infant son (her requirements differed slightly, fun, comfortable, etc ;)). She loved her '07 Touareg, but wanted something a little smaller. We looked at Volvo, Audi, Chevy, Toyota, etc., and, of course, the Tiguan. Hands-down, the Tiguan won. Interior quality is great, it's a blast to drive, consumer report and consumer guide "best buy," and of course as safe as a little SUV can be. She still loves the Tiguan, and it's been as reliable as can be. I'd highly recommend for your kids -

Of course, the side benefit to the whole deal - I inherited the '07 Touareg :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a Chevy once and the transmission blew well within the 3yr 36K mile warrantee period. They refused to warrantee it, they said I broke it. I vowed never to buy a GM product ever again, that was nearly 30 years ago. I still have that bitter taste in my mouth.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts