Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
They are still asking way too much for the R50's. I'm in the market for one and have a lot of them saved. Most are up for sale for over 6 months before they get taken down. The normal V10's are in the low 30's pricing wise and a 15-20k jump to the R50 is really not justifiable after 8 years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Add up the Wheels, body kit, Brakes, 15% more power etc plus the fact they are rare and there you have it. People don't let em go easy. Guess you've got to really, really want one. Ecca had his eye on a white 2010 R50 in WA recently with 60000 odd Km's on the clock. Dealer told him he ended up getting $78k for it! But I've also seen them for as low as $37k with 175000km. There's always a cheaper more viable/sensible option than an R50, but hey you only live once ;-)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, they only seem to sell once they hit about $40k which is where I'm interested.

One on there he started at $61k with 81,000 on the clock and it now is shown at 140k on the clock and about $52k. I've had it saved since April. Just asking way too much. Porshe Cayenne Turbos are cheaper.... What was the price difference between a V10 and an R50 when new?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Around $10k was the difference.
If you keep your eye out you should be able to get a good one for that sort of money. It'll probably have 150+km's on it though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Supply and demand brother. Not to mention that if you paid $140k for a vehicle & did 80000km, kept the thing in excellent condition & adhered to the maintenance schedule would you sell it off cheap? Negative ghostrider.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Demand is not high though is it. Only 104 were imported and a minimum of 5 % of those are up for sale on any given day. Many are still for sale after 6 months. The problem they have is that the market that can easily afford one don't buy second hand, they buy new. The market that cant afford to buy new, wont take a risk on an 8 year old vehicle, known for very high repair costs (ie engine out) at a price of $50k. In another 3 years the early V10's (04 model) will be worth maybe $10k. Looking at the ones that have sold, they only when once the advertised price hit low $40k, so probably went for just on or just under $40k.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right, there's only a certain demographic that would buy an R50 now. I looked for ages before buying mine & only jumped on it because of the ultra low km's (26000). It's a risky car to own especially if you're not a mechanic. The people on this forum sure help make it doable though. Hope you find a great example at the right price!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Garage sale - 50 Grunt St.
Items include: Bedside table, Kelvinator fridge, Single bed, Volkswagen R50.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow. Gumtree is not where I'd be looking for an R50 :)

I'm hoping to be in one by the end of the year, but may have to wait till next year. Absolute beast of a car and should suit me down to the ground.\

How is it on fuel on the highway Bobalupo? 90% of my driving is Hume freeway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is it on fuel on the highway Bobalupo? 90% of my driving is Hume freeway.
They're good considering the size of the motor & weight of the car. Both of my V10's use around 9-10 liters per 100km on the highway and in the 12's around town. (Forget all that if you're putting the foot down though.) The comfort level is amazing. In fact the whole driving experience is amazing. That's what you pay the money for! You really will enjoy every minute behind the wheel. (I get enjoyment just looking at the car when it's parked in the shed :)) Life's short, buy an R50! ha

·
Registered
32 Posts
That economy is really good. I'd be happy with 10 on the highway. My old Patrol struggles to do better than about 12 now. It is getting very tired now though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A final word on buying an R50 (This is purely my personal opinion.)
When I was looking for one it was either going to be very very low Km vehicle which I knew I would have to pay a premium but hopefully have plenty of trouble free motoring before the usual issues start to arise.
Or a high Km vehicle (over 150km) which is much cheaper & hopefully most of the stuff has already gone wrong & been fixed.
It's the ones with the middle of the road Km's that I get nervous about. e.g. Pay $45-50k & immediately start running into all the probs.
But like I said before, hope you get a goodun. You will love it!
Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hey gnrnr, that 104 imported figure you mentioned is combined Oz/NZ so I'm guessing maybe 80 -85 in Oz and I know at least 3 have been written off so the numbers are dwindling. Personally I feel the market value is too low for the vehicle that it is. I still don't think there is another vehicle on the market that fulfils so many roles so bloody well. For $50k would I buy a Comondore or Falcan or Missingbitsi, over an R50? Not bloody likely. But, horses for courses, everyone gets their jollies in different ways thankfully. John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel the market value is too low for the vehicle that it is. I still don't think there is another vehicle on the market that fulfils so many roles so bloody well.
I trend to agree John. (I feel like I stole mine.) Our cars are 8 years old & still have the MY 2016/17 offering covered. They go better, sound better are just as comfortable & in my opinion look better. What does that tell you about the vehicle? It's a bloody ripper, that's what.
Furthermore; with all the emissions rules, scandals etc I can't see VW exceeding 850NM in Australia anytime soon.
I think you might be able to tell,,,,, I bloody love em!

We'll all be driving electric cars soon enough so buy your V10 NOW! :)))

·
Registered
187 Posts
Following this thread and its interesting to hear views on prices of V10's.
Sorry to steal this thread if thats what i am doing but maybe you could give opinions on a value for my V10? bit of an odd ball i guess:

Dec 2006 V10 'Altitude' model i personally imported from UK over 2 years ago, 185kms. They don't sell the model here but it is trimmed and spec'd pretty much identical to the R50 model without the logo seats. 20" wheels, bodykit and bumpers etc etc
We only use it for special occasions and trips away so the poor thing sits in the garage most of the time.

Question is what price would you pitch it at?? as said, std models run in $10-15k cheaper than R models. Being a personal import put people off?

Its in very good condition, i am a mechanic so it had full treatment before i brought it over, fixing an oil leak from the back of the engine, new genuine discs and pads all round, full oils changed and so on...

Thanks for any comments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts