Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm Franck from France and new to this site,
i have a 2011 tdi v6 240 i and have a hard time getting used to the throttle pedal
i have to push it almost half way when i want to take off with a little bit of power.
the first quarter of travel doesn't do much , or nothing..

Is there a way to set the sensitivity of the throttle with the vag-com because it's really frustrating ?

Reset with this process :
Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car.
Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.
Release the pedal and turn the ignition off.
--> Not efficient

Other ideas ?

Thanks

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Hi, i'm Franck from France and new to this site,
i have a 2011 tdi v6 240 i and have a hard time getting used to the throttle pedal
i have to push it almost half way when i want to take off with a little bit of power.
the first quarter of travel doesn't do much , or nothing..

Is there a way to set the sensitivity of the throttle with the vag-com because it's really frustrating ?

Reset with this process :
Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car.
Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.
Release the pedal and turn the ignition off.
--> Not efficient

Other ideas ?

Thanks
This is a somewhat common complaint with these. A few things that I found to help

A tune
Opening up the intake tract
Opening up the exhaust

Those 3 thing's combined have made my throttle response almost 100% perfect

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a somewhat common complaint with these. A few things that I found to help

A tune
Opening up the exhaust

Thank you for your answer but even by translating it I don't quite understand what you advise me to apply
:)
Could you explain to me a little more please so that I understand better because with the language barrier it is not very clear for me.

In any case, this forum is very responsive !(y)

· Registered
2009 Touareg V6 TDI
89 Posts
What other cars are you used to driving? I've found that the norm on German cars is very low throttle sensitivity, especially compared to Japanese cars. I'm used to it and prefer it personally, as it makes driving smoothly and efficiently easier, and you still have full power when you floor it. A common modification for drive by wire cars is a mod box (e.g. the "Sprint Booster") which remaps the throttle position sensor to a more aggressive curve. It's very popular on the Porsche forums to do this.

· Registered
Touareg MY2013 - CRCA
176 Posts

A tune
Opening up the exhaust

Well there is pretty big difference in throttle response between 180kW (CRCA) and 193kW (CVVA). I think that remap will make huge difference.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Thank you for your answer but even by translating it I don't quite understand what you advise me to apply
:)
Could you explain to me a little more please so that I understand better because with the language barrier it is not very clear for me.

In any case, this forum is very responsive !(y)
My answer depends on your level of experience with these cars. The TDI comes from the factory with a very dull throttle response. They are just built that way. There are things you can do to fix that though assuming there are no error codes in the computer

What other cars are you used to driving? I've found that the norm on German cars is very low throttle sensitivity, especially compared to Japanese cars. I'm used to it and prefer it personally, as it makes driving smoothly and efficiently easier, and you still have full power when you floor it. A common modification for drive by wire cars is a mod box (e.g. the "Sprint Booster") which remaps the throttle position sensor to a more aggressive curve. It's very popular on the Porsche forums to do this.
Partially agree... My Audi's have incredible throttle response. Certain BMWs have incredible throttle response. Mercedes as well. Depends on the specific model

· Registered
2010 TDI
561 Posts
Does the 2011 European model have Sport mode? For my 2010, S(port) makes it accelerate like a normal vehicle. D(rive) is like, "Oh, you want to go? Now? Really? Let me wake up the squirrels and we'll get the this show on the road. Eventually." If I know I need to scoot, like across a lane when making a turn, or coming from a corner and trying to get up to speed quickly, I'll put it in S and then when I'm rolling, I'll move it back to D.

(Franck, the squirrel thing is a joke here in the US about underpowered cars being propelled by squirrels or even mice.)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello,

Thank you for your contributions.

I've had several Audi A4s (B5, B8 tdi) before and although the first part of the pedal stroke wasn't aggressive it wasn't as slack as the Touareg. My BMW 120D and Peugeot 308 are more agressive, just press a little bit the throttle to move the car.

Yes I have a sport mode (gear lever) and also air suspensions. It is true that it is more pleasant but can be too aggressive to ride quietly
It's having to push the pedal quite low before the engine speed accelerates that bothers me and gives the car a very lazy side at a stop for example (waking up the squirrels yes that's it! :)

I actually saw that there was a mod box that could fix my lazy foot : PedalBox - Das Original-Gaspedaltuning für mehr Fahrspaß

But I will first check on VCDS that the throttle pedal works well over the entire race

· Registered
Touareg MY2013 - CRCA
176 Posts
Hello,

Thank you for your contributions.

I've had several Audi A4s (B5, B8 tdi) before and although the first part of the pedal stroke wasn't aggressive it wasn't as slack as the Touareg. My BMW 120D and Peugeot 308 are more agressive, just press a little bit the throttle to move the car.

Yes I have a sport mode (gear lever) and also air suspensions. It is true that it is more pleasant but can be too aggressive to ride quietly
It's having to push the pedal quite low before the engine speed accelerates that bothers me and gives the car a very lazy side at a stop for example (waking up the squirrels yes that's it! :)

I actually saw that there was a mod box that could fix my lazy foot : PedalBox - Das Original-Gaspedaltuning für mehr Fahrspaß

But I will first check on VCDS that the throttle pedal works well over the entire race
I would also recommend switch software for gearbox. If you switch it (Coding) through VCDS from Touareg to Cayenne, you will see also improvement. After change, turn off ignition, lock it and leave it until dashboard go dark. Then make test drive.

Coding for Cayenne is different. It holds higher RPM until it shifts up and it will not give you 8th gear on 50km/h. Downshifting is also quicker. I must say, its much better after changing coding.
After change, 8th gear is available from 95km/h.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
I would also recommend switch software for gearbox. If you switch it (Coding) through VCDS from Touareg to Cayenne, you will see also improvement. After change, turn off ignition, lock it and leave it until dashboard go dark. Then make test drive.

Coding for Cayenne is different. It holds higher RPM until it shifts up and it will not give you 8th gear on 50km/h. Downshifting is also quicker. I must say, its much better after changing coding.
I don't know what gear ratios you have, because in my 0C8 that would put me at idle.... no coding will get me final gear at that speed. :unsure:

· Registered
5,685 Posts

Agree with Cayenne coding. Made a nice difference.

I'm thinking there is more happening here than just poor throttle response though. Agree on checking pedal in vagcom

· Registered
Touareg MY2013 - CRCA
176 Posts
I don't know what gear ratios you have, because in my 0C8 that would put me at idle.... no coding will get me final gear at that speed. :unsure:
Well, I didn't mean exactly 8th gear at 50km/h. It was similitude. In standard coding, it gives you very high gear at low speed which is not good. In the end, it has negative impact on gearbox response and fuel economy.

Anyway, as @SaVAGeSoot said, check it through VCDS before taking it apart. If there is any oxidation, you will see it on values.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, here are the read values :

At rest :
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

After pressing the throttle about 1 cm ( 0.4 inch) :

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

it takes 0.4 inches for the 008 value to move.

0.4 inches too long before it moves :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts