Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been floating around the idea of buying a 2010 Jetta tdi or the tdi cup edition. I was curious to if any Touareg owners have them in their garage and what their thoughts are on the car. We would be getting all options and a manual transmission. I have read a decent bit on tdiforums and on vwvortex to get the general idea and issues on the car. To each their own on thoughts about the car with the forums attracting different types of automotive enthusiasts. The car will primarily be driven by my wife due to her driving more. The cup edition has a lot more fun factor to it but my wife doesn't want cloth seats and she actually liked the more firm ride. So I am really on the fence on what we will get. I am open to suggestions and any insight on the car if this sparks up any conversation at all...
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
I don't own a TDI Jetta, but after riding this past weekend in a race prepped TDI Cup car, actual race car in the series. I would actually purchase the TDI Cup with a DSG tranny in it myself. I was amazed at how well that thing shifted. I don't know if VW did anything with the tranny software in that car for racing purposes, but I am thinking they did not. I was quite impressed with the DSG. The pic I am attaching to this is the car I had a ride in and was driven by the guy who finished 2nd in points in the series last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to have to test drive a DSG transmission cup car if that is the case. We test drove a DSG and a standard transmission in the Jetta TDI and only a manual in the Cup Edition. The DSG in the seemed like it couldn't decide what gear to be in for a majority of our test drive.. I will have to see how it is in the Cup Ed. Also down the road when this ends up being my commuter I'll modify it to cup race car status if I get a Cup Ed. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bad luck

Might as well use this thread...

Well the Jetta TDI cup car with the DSG was a heck of a car to test drive, but we couldn't justify buying the car at the time. After a couple months of test driving every car my wife thought she wanted to be in, we pulled the trigger on a x3.

After recovering and self medicating for a week... I guess I can share our bad luck... On the way home from the dealer with a 2008 X3 CPO with all the bells and whistles... a nice size white tail hopped over the median barrier and ended up on the hood of the X3. My wife was alright, just a little shaken up from the hood coming up after impact at 60 mph.. I was behind her and saw it happen in 'slow motion' it seemed. With getting a new front clip from the insurance company we will at least have no stone chips for a couple months at a cost of about 10k to the insurance company. Heck the headlight housings alone cost over $1000 ... Nothing like buying a car and making a payment on it while it is in the shop...

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
My wife has been driving her mkV Jetta TDi since '07 (VW sold their '07 model lineup of TDIs in Canada as '06s to avoid emissions issues!)..She's got the manual tranny but I agree with Yeti, the DSG is the transmission to get.

I find the cost cutting on the mkVI is excessive, so if you can get your hands on a new mkV I'd buy it up. Excellent vehicles, very durable, very reliable...

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
I got my son a 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with DSG. He loves the car. I drove it CT to Phoenix this summer and he drove the rest of the way to Palo Alto, CA later in the week. Even full to the roof with his stuff the car drove great and got decent gas mileage (not great due to the load and my speed).

If I were in the market for a car for myself without AWD, I would seriously consider a Jetta TDI Sportwagen or sedan.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
We have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI... love it... would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got my wife a 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition, although she never drives it, I find myself behind the wheel daily, it's pretty fast especially when driving it in sports Mode (DSG transmission), the Torque is amazing.

Although I have a heavy foot and I'm always zipping/racing up a down some roads I recently took a 500 mile round-trip upstate and I did the whole trip at 60MPH, I average 48-50 MPG, not bad.

Made some cosmetic changes here & there and installed 225/50 tires on 17" rims...

Mike

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I drive a white TDI cup edition with manual trans. It's my first diesel and I'm loving it. Amazing gas mileage and surprisingly quick at times. I love the handling and so far seems to be taking whatever I throw At it haha. I think next thing up is time to get it chipped, can never have enough power!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I really wanted her to get a white cup car...instead we are a two SUV household now... It will be interesting to see what kind of power they put down and if the transmissions hold together once people start getting an aggressive tune on them. I like how that looks with 17's, definitely would be a lot more forgiving of a ride. Think that garage is a little tight Mike???

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Re: the DSG tranny..I find it incredible that VW can offer this technology at the price point that they do...its an automatic "manual" gearbox and it light years ahead of anything ever offered in the Touareg (even the new 8 speed is ancient by comparison).

The incredibly fast shifting is because it actually has already engaged the next gear (via the second clutch) before you ever select it...this is why the gearshift seems almost instant. Its the same technology offered all the way up the VAG line through Porsche and Lamborghini. Sadly the Touareg never got it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts