Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your thoughts are on using one of the reusable dry hi flow air filters that are available...such as AEM or Pilot (Italian).
I did have one on my previous car, a V6 Petrol Mitsubishi Challenger (Montero Sport in the US) and was actually able to see a small difference in performance and fuel mileage. I'm not big on the K&N type filters that need oiling. Does anyone have any experience with the dry hi flow filters or maybe some technical input?

Thanks in advance.

2005 Touareg R5 2.5tdi.

Chris A.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This video articulates the reason for keeping your stock filters fresh and why more flow generally means debris is entering the system.

Nearly 20 years back I did one of those air filters that you coat in oil and it resulted in all manner of issues...rainwater got sucked in during heavy downpours and would cause the engine to run like rubbish. Long term impact was loss of compression with cold idle being terrible and substantial power loss. Sold the car years ago.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm surprised that the Mitsubishi responded well to an air cleaner change, I've never seen a change make any difference on any car unless there have been major power enhancement modifications.

If an aftermarket filter panel flows better than the standard one then that means it will allow more debris in, not a good trade off.

I see you have an R5, every other Touareg engine is bigger than that so you should be able to find an airbox that's bigger, flows more and is still safe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Plus, VW and the other german manufacturers are pretty good at designing the intake system with very good air filters that provide more than enough flow potential for the rated horsepower of the application.

And they are relatively cheap.

OP I'd check whether your 2.5 airbox is the same as in touaregs with bigger engines. It is entirely possible you have the same filter system as what came on a v8 and if that's the case it is very unlikely you need to do anything other than OEM or stock replacement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve never had a problem with oil media filters. Most don’t understand it takes very little oil to coat/suck into filter. They spray the heck out of the media, install it right away & then wonder why their MAF sensor has problems. Once the filter is clean & dried properly, a very light mist of oil is all that is needed. Let the oil soak in & then install. 16 years with one in our ALH Golf TDI & over 300,000kms and same MAF & still going. My Cummins with twin turbo’s runs one too.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
There are no gains to be found in the airbox of a Touareg. Unless you really like cleaning dirty filters, I’d suggest that the oem ones are cheap and do a perfect job.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are no gains to be found in the airbox of a Touareg. Unless you really like cleaning dirty filters, I’d suggest that the oem ones are cheap and do a perfect job.
Well at the cost of 2 VW OEM filters, I personally don’t mind the 2 mins of my time it takes to deal with the aftermarket filter cleaning.

The rest of the time is just waiting & it doesn’t tie your time up. If you don’t want to wait, you can now buy washable ones that require no oil....such as this one https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10134-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-air-filter

To clean, spray filter with Simple Green & let sit 15mins, then spray with garden hose & shake out water & re-install. 1 min of your time, 15mins of waiting.

Just saying it’s safe for your engine & after 2 cleanings, you start saving $ over the stock OEM ones.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Awesome! I'll need to figure out what to do with the extra $16 bucks in my pocket once every 18 months!

Seriously though, do what you'd like but definately don't do it thinking you'll get any gains out of the airbox. These things flow extremely well bone stock.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
To keep my intake charge cleaner, I'll settle for a little less airflow.

:- /
Yup! In all honesty most of them do have more airflow. But there is a give and take here. You get more flow but you also risk more micro-particals entering the system. Yes your engine oil will suspend some of it but turbos is where I'd be worried and long term use has shown not to be good. I can't seem to find the test done by the Desert research Institute on OEM filters vs oiled, non oiled etc..(K&N). OEM filtered the best and was not far off for flow than the rest.

I usually run MANN HD filter, this one has foam on intake side to filter out more dust.

Here is one: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Also a test done by a fleet of trucks using K&n and they found out over time, that it did not save them money on filters because they had other problems due to the filter, such as turbos MAF sensors and more. They went back to OEM paper. Just because you use it and have had no problem so far does not mean you won't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts