Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we in the Golden Age of internal combustion "Driver's Cars" right now? I think it may be so.

Consider my 2015 GTI Autobahn with Driver Assist Pkg, Performance Pkg, Lighting Pkg, Dynamic Chassis Control, and a manual transmission. This is a driver's car, but with a couple elements of self-driving cars to come. It has Frontal Collision Warning. The '16 has the option of full Frontal Collision Avoidance with autonomous braking.

Other models have elements of driverless cars: Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Change Assist, Self Parking.

All car makers are working hard on driverless cars. Internal combustion's days seem numbered by advances in electric vehicle technology.

Does that mean these near-future cars will have dumbed-down handling, acceleration, etc because the driver will be disconnected from the experience & joy of actually driving?

Are cars we can get now the best that old-school Driver's Cars will ever be?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody? I thought this would stimulate some discussion! ;)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
We all have to a duty to crash into the frickin' things and see them banned from the roads.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
All for the new tech. These features can be turned off so it's available when desired. The owner of my company has a Tesla and the features are great.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about all this tech being the precursor to self-driving cars and today's cars possibly being the best Driver's Cars we'll ever see?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Don't see it. If there is a demand for driver's cars, then there will be driver's cars. The key to me is the ability to have these features available. At least for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
Try this 5 step process nooby.

1. Air suspension to off road mode.
2. Drive over-top of little self driving car.
3. Put air suspension in load mode and wait for crunching noise.
4. Air suspension to normal mode.
5. Drive forward and check your work in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try this 5 step process nooby. 1. Air suspension to off road mode. 2. Drive over-top of little self driving car. 3. Put air suspension in load mode and wait for crunching noise. 4. Air suspension to normal mode. 5. Drive forward and check your work in the rear view mirror.
LOL!! Good one and pretty much expresses how I feel about the future prospect of being forced into & emasculated by a self-driving car.

My new CT handle might be Oregon FSI very soon. :D

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Try this 5 step process nooby.

1. Air suspension to off road mode.
2. Drive over-top of little self driving car.
3. Put air suspension in load mode and wait for crunching noise.
4. Air suspension to normal mode.
5. Drive forward and check your work in the rear view mirror.
Good until 5, part 2 - NEVER look back!!

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I think technologies like adaptive cruise, collision avoidance, cross traffic warning, blind spot detection are excellent. So are things you don't see like stability control, abs, traction control and things of the like.

Sure it doesn't give you the raw driving experience of say an E30 BMW that didn't even have airbags, but we're all safer because of those technologies.

As for autonomous driving, some people will love it, others hate it. I could care less really as long as the damn things stay out of the left lane when trolling along at 5 ticks under speed limit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts