Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own a bullet-proof 2008 Lexus RX400h (my wife's car) and a not very bullet-proof (its German) M E320 CDI. I know about German car "reliability" (spent $1,000 on a rebuilt alternator and $200 on a glow plug replacement on that 38,000 mile E320 this past winter), but still I am considering a used Toureg or BMW X5 diesel as a replacement for the E320.

I'm getting old enough to like a taller vehicle, but I still like diesels and the Japanese sell none in the US.

OK, so am I being stupid in considering the Toureg from the standpoint of reliability and cost of repairs? I know a few people who have owned VW's in the past and swear "never again", but that is from maybe 7-10 years ago.

Appreciate input.

- geo

·
Registered
499 Posts
I purchased my Touareg last September with 75k on it and have put 17k on it this year. The only issue that I've had come up was the adblue pump started showing a fault when the fluid is low, but that was recent and I can live with it. I can't speak for all 2011+ Touaregs but I have really enjoyed mine this far. I just came from an early 2000s Audi and the reliability is night and day difference between them.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Spend some time on this site looking at steering wheel shake [SWS], ad-blu and HPFP problems and then make up you own mind - or just go out and buy another Lexus!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that Lexus compares better to the Tiguan with respect to interior room. The Touareg is roomier I believe than your Lexus.

Not sure you are comparing apples to apples?

Reliability? I am a fairly new owner, so I cannot comment on that aspect. If considering purchasing used, take it out on the highway up to 65-73 mph and check for any steering wheel shake. I do not think VW has figured out a cure for ALL of the Touargs that have steering wheel shake. It is a solid built vehicle and enjoyable besides the shake.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nah, you're not being stupid. You've come to the right place to get educated. No doubt you know why you want this vehicle and you know that any comparable models could have no problems, or similar problems to this model. As you narrow down your choices, check them out for the known problems and check into a warranty to protect yourself a bit. Be prepared to tinker and to ask for help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts