Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow VW owners,
Interesting predicament I was in just last Sunday afternoon, was planning to install my ebay special
"genuine" Touareg wheel mud flap kit.
This kit is surprisingly well presented and manufactured and of high quality however, my intention was to
remove one tyre/wheel at a time allowing sufficient space to access the intended mud flap mounting position.
Our Touareg is 2017 V6 with the lot, just love the vehicle despite this being registered in Heather's (wife) name.
Well , I swing into tackling the wheel removing...using the OEM wrench (number one mistake) in combination with the thief
proof wheel nut adaptor.
Back previously by two weeks, car yard provided our car with four new tyres ( another mistake) , I had failed to check and confirm the
wheel nut tension (I understood professional tyre companies would carefully consider wheel nut tensions for car owners).
Instead of the 180 tension (in the manual) every nut was about three times the tension needless to say as I attempted to remove with supplied "tiny
wrench" the first thief proof I attempted to loosen simply stripped it's pattern.
I drove around to the neighbourhood mechanics workshop, fortunately a heap of young bucks with their hot cars were available to rattle gun/ big bar the remaining
excessively over tensioned nuts , try as they all might, nothing would budge the stripped nut off.
Rang the car people and they suggested ,cynically, I could call in any time and the "boys" could loosen the problem nut in five seconds!
I arrived fifteen minutes before know-off time, yeah plenty of time for the boy's to show their skills!
Well this afternoon I'm booked in to return with the car for tomorrows attempt to remove the stuck not, this will be at the expense
of the clown who rattled the wheel nuts far too tight.
Really peeved I am, I could have tapped a suitable socket onto the stuck nut and got it off however, this is my wife's car and she said "don't touch it..let the car people deal with it" so I have and it's taking so long!
Lesson learnt ..always check wheel nut tensions . And I still have my un fitted mud flaps in the box waiting patiently.
Cheers, Mick.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello fellow VW owners,
Interesting predicament I was in just last Sunday afternoon, was planning to install my ebay special
"genuine" Touareg wheel mud flap kit.
This kit is surprisingly well presented and manufactured and of high quality however, my intention was to
remove one tyre/wheel at a time allowing sufficient space to access the intended mud flap mounting position.
Our Touareg is 2017 V6 with the lot, just love the vehicle despite this being registered in Heather's (wife) name.
Well , I swing into tackling the wheel removing...using the OEM wrench (number one mistake) in combination with the thief
proof wheel nut adaptor.
Back previously by two weeks, car yard provided our car with four new tyres ( another mistake) , I had failed to check and confirm the
wheel nut tension (I understood professional tyre companies would carefully consider wheel nut tensions for car owners).
Instead of the 180 tension (in the manual) every nut was about three times the tension needless to say as I attempted to remove with supplied "tiny
wrench" the first thief proof I attempted to loosen simply stripped it's pattern.
I drove around to the neighbourhood mechanics workshop, fortunately a heap of young bucks with their hot cars were available to rattle gun/ big bar the remaining
excessively over tensioned nuts , try as they all might, nothing would budge the stripped nut off.
Rang the car people and they suggested ,cynically, I could call in any time and the "boys" could loosen the problem nut in five seconds!
I arrived fifteen minutes before know-off time, yeah plenty of time for the boy's to show their skills!
Well this afternoon I'm booked in to return with the car for tomorrows attempt to remove the stuck not, this will be at the expense
of the clown who rattled the wheel nuts far too tight.
Really peeved I am, I could have tapped a suitable socket onto the stuck nut and got it off however, this is my wife's car and she said "don't touch it..let the car people deal with it" so I have and it's taking so long!
Lesson learnt ..always check wheel nut tensions . And I still have my un fitted mud flaps in the box waiting patiently.
Cheers, Mick.
Sorry to hear this Mick, I like Heathers logic, let those who stuffed it up fix it. Same the world over. When you're looking over those in the workshop from the visitors room it is easy to see why we end up with what we do like this.

I know you're no closer to fitting your mud flaps, send a picture when you do get them fitted.

Pete

·
Registered
2011 V6 TDI
351 Posts
Hi Mick,
Yeah, those "thief proof" bolts are a real trap. At least you were at home when you found out.
I recommend changing them to regular bolts when you get them off.
They cost about $12 each from VW.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More progress,
Received a call from car yard people, they couldn't remove damaged wheel nut without killing it!
Car will have another "sleep over" and be fitted with completely new full set of thief proof wheel nuts, great!
I would have preferred them to simply replace the thief proof nuts with standard hex nuts, "something flash" for no cost to us I suppose!
Just such an unnecessary delay, good thing we have other vehicles to use.
Check your own car's wheel nut tensions before it's too late!!
Cheers,
Mick,

·
Registered
741 Posts
180 nm. is pretty bloody tight! That factory supplied lug wrench will never move a bolt done up that tight.
The bolts probably weren't even over tightened.
I've got a 12 volt torque gun for mine and I also keep a breaker bar in the back as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same problem flat rear tyre in the carport lucky the flat was was not up against the wall side the carport but i couldn't remove the thief proof nut for the same reason. Called the road assist they couldnt remove it either so he pumped it up and i took the car to the local tyre dealer who was also unable to remove it. They organized a guy who specializes in nut removal to get it off lesson learnt $$ so I removed all the thief proof bolts and replaced with standard bolts. Having this flat at home was lucky as we towed our caravan not long after this from Adelaide to Darwin and back and i would have been stranded if the flat happened along that stretch of road. I have learnt since there is a way to remove these bolts with a socket but dont need to now as i mentioned above

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply, yes, a seriously unfortunate trap indeed!
The concept of thief proof wheels is a positive however, pitfalls such as we’ve experienced aren’t welcome either.
I will now be travelling with a suitable socket for last attempt nut removal should this be necessary in the future.
That way I have the best of options!
Nothing like this predicament mentioned in the manual!
Cheers, Mick.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My lock nuts have been removed a long, long time ago, more throuble than what it's worth.

I can honestly say I have never seen anyone posting theft of their wheels on this forum, not saying it can't happen, this may possibly be because not too many hoons drive Touaregs, Audi's or Cayennes so not much demand for these wheels.

TonyB

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flash635,
Thanks for your reply, just what the manual says, 180Nm tension,(page 366) I reset all my wheel nuts and I didn’t think it was excessive tension, very little effort with the torque wrench!
Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Further to Add on’s,
Just about completed a installation of a spare wheel carrier for my Touareg.
“TireGate” manufacture model however, the unit is most unsatisfactory IMO.
Crazy design which I’ve had to seriously modify to both look good functionally
and cope with heavy hauling.
Cut off the original RHS tubing & sealed that opening, instead constructed an
extra long towing hitch incorporates the original tensioner assembly.
The whole thing sits about 70mm lower although still clear of exhaust outlets.
I’m intending to fit led tail lights on the swing arm as the fitted spare covers the right
tail light cluster, looks great I reckon although there’s a a good bit of weight hanging
off the tow bar!
Any helpful additional suggestions are most welcome.
I picked this wheel carrier off Facebook market place for $300 so I thought was worth
having a modification.
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Flash635,
Thanks for your reply, just what the manual says, 180Nm tension,(page 366) I reset all my wheel nuts and I didn’t think it was excessive tension, very little effort with the torque wrench!
Cheers Mick.
I know that's the factory torque, it just seems pretty high to me especially if you're trying to use the supplied tool.
It would be ok using a 1/2 metre long torque wrench.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear this Mick, I like Heathers logic, let those who stuffed it up fix it. Same the world over. When you're looking over those in the workshop from the visitors room it is easy to see why we end up with what we do like this.

I know you're no closer to fitting your mud flaps, send a picture when you do get them fitted.

Pete
Afternoon Pete,
Finally finished the mud flap fitting,I have to say the E*** buy was just $90 including postage, one work "great".
These mud flaps are such a well made set, be interesting to actually see the $900.00 set and find the differences!
Likely the only difference would be lacking the VW logo!
The kit has everything necessary with an over abundance of screws / tabs , flaps were correctly pieced/ bolt holes in all cases.
I'm extremely pleased with both the finish and fit, bit time consuming and fortunately didn't anything unusual to aid the fitting, just great.
I did download a VW pdf which was very close however, not a perfect match though!
Cheers,
Mick.
IMG_2008.JPG IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2017.JPG IMG_2018.JPG

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts