Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the other day I was driving on the freeway and my coolant temp guage was all over the place, its usually at 200 but this time it would climb past it, then come back down and then climb back up, never hitting the red but at one point it got a little close. Anyways, today, not a problem at all, it stayed at 200 but i haven't really gone any distances like on the freeway. To try it out though, i kept it in a lower gear using the triptronic, keeping the rpms around 3 grand for a little bit while driving to simulate going 80mph and it stayed around 200. I think if there was something seriously wrong, it would have overheated the other day and definitely would have overheated today. My best guess after reading some posts is that the thermostat was getting finicky and probably sticking. (Also, I have no engine light or anything). IF I were to have to change my thermostat do I really have to take off the timing belt. I have an 04, v8, with 53k on it. If i go that far should I just replace the timing belt? I know people have been doing that when they experience that issue but my timing belt seems fine.. and I am still almost 30 k from the recommended change point on that. Seems to be kind of a waste to do it so early. Any suggestions? MY biggest concern is I don't really want to wait for the problem to come back, if it happens again I will prob force myself into changing the therm because I dont want to be on a road trip up to mammoth or something for it to stick closed or open, that would suck. Please tell me there is a way around this timing belt.. Wishful thinking I have a feeling.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
thermostat and usually waterpump too.
Might as well do a timingbelt change.
If you had one done recently they should heve adviced you to replace one

·
Registered
2005 V8
447 Posts
My Treg is in for the same problem, thermostat, waterpump and belt. Temp guage was doing funny things. The only good thing about doing the belt now is that with a bit of luck you dont have to think about it for another 80K miles;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, I guess thats a positive. Are you going to attempt it on your own or bring it to a shop. I am thinking about taking this project on to save 1500... Not sure though

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can watch the coolant temperatures with vag-com and get a good idea if the thermostat is sticking. It is also good to scan for codes in case there is another problem not causing the check engine light to come on first. It could be something as simple as a sensor, although not as common for a Touareg.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dah, I am jealous. I still haven't decided what path I plan to take. Doing it myself with a mechanic friend or just pay up.. Its definitely going to get all new parts though, that I do know. Thank god My daily drive is less than 5 miles and its been pretty cool so my egg just barely ticks above 200 when I get there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts