Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Not sure this has come in previous posts...

I have a 2012 TDI Exec with 41K miles. Recently, my temp gauge started to show that I was overheating (like moving past 240 deg and close to the red). It would revert back and continue to do this. It finally went all the way to the red and i got warning of overheating. Luckily I was close to a dealer. Brought it in and they looked at. Said it was a BAD thermostat sensor. Replaced all parts needed. Have driven now maybe 100 miles since and its starting to lean again to overheating. Hasn't got into the RED area (YET). Noticed that when it started leaning i was driving around 80mph. I backed it down to 65mp and it started to revert back to normal. But then when I got off highway, it started to lean but not as much.

Dealer indicated that my thermostat was OK and sensor bad. Wondering if in fact the thermostat is bad.

Anyone have any thoughts???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Xeno.. Only sensor replaced as dealer indicated code was showing the sensor being bad. Agree with the temp still hovering past 200, it's gotta be something else.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yea buy/install VW thermostat (it controls the flow of water through engine.) Sometimes they get stuck open or closed or anywhere between.

It is a stand alone mechanical spring operated device, does not send status.

I would make sure there is flow and that the top hose has pressure in it. Careful that hot hose does not rupture on you while handling you will get burned!

Inspect hoses for damage when cold first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update....... Dealer now telling me that the coolant pump is faulty. Ordering pump,. Thank God for a WRAP warranty!!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Ask them if they can throw in a new thermostat at the same time. You are going to get new coolant with the water pump change.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Water pumps can and do go bad. It could give these symptoms.

Thermostats can and do go bad. It could give these symptoms.

Price the water pump $$$.$$ and the Thermostat $$.$$

If VW will do only one, let them do the pump.

But the thermostat is cheap and could cause this. If I was doing the work myself, I would just replace both at the same time and be done with it. But dealers can be dumb.

If VW will do only one at a time, let them do the water pump as it is the more involved and expensive repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts