Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Touareg (my 4th VW) 11 days ago. It had been driven for a while by the owner of the dealership (Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin, OH) so it had 2600 miles on it. VIN 0007xx. I realize that it is early but so far no problems other than a couple of very minor items. Between regular dealer discounts, an additional discount for the mileage and the VW loyalty program I paid for this V8 with nav, conv, winter and bi-xen about what a V6 with
PPI would have cost. Together with the fact that it was the only V8 they had with Teak leather I decided to give the early VIN vehicle a shot. So far I'm thrilled.

The reason I'm making this post is to restate what others have said about the importance of a good dealership. Before I bought I read here that guys loved the car but hated the dealers. I knew this wouldn't be my problem. I don't know if any of you know MAG. They claim to be have the largest selection of European brands on the planet. Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar (coming soon), Maserati, Mini, Porsche, Rolls, Saab and VW. Very impressive place that knows how to treat customers. I've always had good service there but it seems that they are going the extra mile for TReg customers.

I've also had good service from VWoA. I just spoke with someone there this morning who was very helpful (after speaking with the rep who answered the phone I was transferred to a Touareg Team member). Without a request from me she even checked for open campaigns on my car. I'm sure some of you have had bad experiences but there are good people there who know how to help a customer.

I just wanted to post something positive about early vin cars, VW dealers and VWoA. I think it is too easy to get overwhelmed by the posts of problems and forget that this is a terrific car backed by a solid company.

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,304 Posts
Great write-up..... well said and good to hear.

· Registered
18 Posts
My "VW experience"

Today I had my Touareg towed into the dealer to have an electrical glitch looked at and made some observations...

I'll start from the beginning. My Touareg now has 1900 miles and I've had it for nearly three months. A couple days ago the Treg would not start in the morning because my battery was dead - when the service man that VWoA sent charged-up the battery the radio was on despite the fact that the keys were in my hand. From reading ClubTourareg forums I knew that this was not an uncommon problem. I let the Treg charge and then turned-off the radio and everything else I could find before shutting down. This morning the Treg again had a dead battery. I called and set-up an appointment with my VW dealer to have the Treg serviced on Monday. I then called VWoA and they informed me that they would not pay for another jump-start (can only have one "type" service per 4 days...) and that they would only pay to have me towed to the closest VW dealer. I requested that they simply jump-start the Treg so I could drive it into the dealer (save me much time waiting around) The VWoA supervisor rejected my request. I felt a bit aggrivated but understood their concern of the possibility that the Treg would die again on the way to the dealer...

After about twenty minutes on the phone with VWoA I arranged to have my Treg towed to the closest dealer (two of the "closest" dealers were not servicing Treg's so I ended-up at the same dealer that I bought from). It took about two hours for the tow truck to arrive (an hour longer than VWoA said it would) but it wasn't too bad because luckily I was at home waiting.

Once I arrived at the dealer the tow truck driver had to unload in an awkward location because the lot was jammed-up tight. No dealer employee offered any assistance and in fact they requested that the driver move (my heap) out of their way so they could move some cars. I felt badly for the tow truck driver because when he had the flatbed tow truck ready to off-load the Treg he could not disengage the Treg from park because it had no charge left in the battery. He had to climb up onto the flatbed, open the hood, charge and start it all in very confining quarters.

Eventually, I got my Treg down and approached the "service advisor" that I was "assigned" to. She was cordial enough on the telephone and when I approched her she wasn't unpleasant. However, she wasn't very attentive either. It took me much longer than I felt necessary to explain the electical problem I'm having because she answered her phone no less than four times as she took my information. She was fairly patient as I listed the "issues" that plague my Treg. The service technician standing off to the side wasn't very helpful though... twice he claimed that "that's normal and happens to all cars" (responding to the windshield condensation problem and to the remote not working except very close-up problem). I doubt it but maybe he's correct. I felt that it would have been better to examine the Treg before making such conclusions... I specifically requesteda Treg loaner but was informed that they offered only the Passat. She asked me to please sit and wait for the loaner in the waiting area as it "was not gassed-up" and told me I'd hear from her on next Tuesday.

About half-hour into the wait I approached her and she assured me it would be just a minute or two longer... I realized I had not removed the baby seat from my Treg and a service assistant was very helpful in assisting me to access my Treg - which was by then parked-in with a line of other Treg's waiting for some attention. Nearly another half hour later I finally was in my loaner. It was a Passat wagon that obviously has seen a lot of action and is not clean. It does run well though.

So that's my experience with VW. It is a very different experience than my wife and I have had with BMW (we have a 2002 BMW 325i and were very close to going with a BMW X5 before we settled on the Treg). At BMW you always feel that you are a valued customer and they definitely go the extra mile to make you feel so... including a nice like-model clean loaner (delivered if necessary). I don't think my VW dealer experience was awful but it felt very much like being at a Hyndai, Kia, Saturn or other mainstream car dealer. I feel strongly that after spending over $50,000 on an automobile there should be an expectation of excellent service - my expectations were not met. Clearly, VW has a great deal of work to do if they ever expect to reach high-level customer service.

Well, that's my experience so far... will log my progress here on ClubTouareg!

· Registered
49 Posts
Service

I wish that my VW dealer gave me half the level of service you have had. Loaners? Forget it. Keep appointments - not a chance. Order parts? Never ordered and when they are ordered, they are lost or sent back. My VW dealer clearly does not want repeat customers.

I too have had BMWs (including an X5, Range Rovers, Lexus SUVs, and many more. The VW dealer is not only the worst, but the worst many times over.

· Registered
18 Posts
chinaberryway,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience was that horrendous... what's starting to become clear is that there is a wide range of service being delivered by VW dealers accross the US. It sounds like you're at the bottom, I'm in the middle and just a few receiveing a high level (and many of those from "Import Dealers" that handle BMW and other imports).

I really like my Treg despite the poor reliability and the lackluster service (at least so far). It will be interesting to see if VW overcomes or if it fails miserably in the luxury marketplace. I hope VW is at least paying attention... more on Tuesday when I get news of what the diagnosis is on my sick Treg...

· Registered
18 Posts
Electicrical glitch... follow-up

As I outlined in my last verbose post my Treg had a little electrical mishap and I had to tow it in to be serviced... here's how it went:

My "service advisor" called me the Tuesday after my car was towed in just as promised. She informed me that not only did they have a chance to work on my Treg but that it was fixed-up good as new! So I hoped...

Once I arrived at the dealer I requested to speak to the Treg mechanic that worked on my spiffy Colorado Red machine. I waited for about half an hour while they paged and went looking for him... no luck he was MIA. Fortunately, there was a second Treg mechanic available and he came out front to speak with me. Not only did he cover each of my concerns in turn but he was genuinely concerned that I was satisfied with the repairs. I must say he was very professional and made me feel I was receiving top-notch service.

The first problem we covered was the dying battery. Cause? Bad radio amplifier... best I could gather was that I had a "European radio" in my Treg and the radio may have been triggered to turn on from radio frequencies that commonly eminate from airports in the US? Well, apparently in Europe they have "emergency broadcasts" that will be recieved by the radio even if the car is off. Well, that was something he thought may have been turning my radio on. How that drained my battery I still don't know. In any event it's been almost a week with my new radio amp and no dead battery.

The second concern was with the condensation on the windsheild from the air conditioner. Since I read about this fix on ClubTouareg.com I knew he would fix it... and he did. They added a piece of foam rubber that reduces cold air flow through the speaker area in the dash. He said they also "reprogrammed" the command module. Apparently the problem stems from the fact that my Treg was programmed for 4-zone climate control but I have only 2. I guess that must be an option I don't have and didn't realize existed....

The third issue was the ticking engine. He said they couldn't hear it. I still do. I'll have to take it in again when I get the time and when the noise is loud. He did say that the "Audi A8" (apparently the same V8 engine that I have in my Treg) has been known to have noisy transmission chains and that may be the cause... he said he didn't think I should worry too much because the A8 engine has been around a long time and is quite sound. I'm not sure about this explanation but it sounds at least plausible...

The fourth issue was the abysmal radio/CD performance. To make a long story short it sounds MUCH better since they replaced the radio amplifier.

The fifth issue was with my remote not working sporadically. Was informed this is normal and that because of where the antenna is placed the remote doesn't work well from the rear or especially from the rear-left.

The final issue was with the malfunctioning moon-roof. He said the problem with it not closing was because the potentiometer needed to be "cycled" (i.e. turned from one extreme setting to the other and back) to get it to work. As I spoke to him I also realized that this was the problem I had encountered with my ignition after my battery went dead... I had to turn the key all the way left and then back to the "start" position or it wouldn't work. He said that was the same issue of having to cycle the potentiometer... guess I learned a few things and felt very satisfied that the mechanic took time to explain it all to me in detail.

So, that's it for now. Good job to Heritage VW in Baltimore... you came through in the home stretch. I still have a ticking engine but I felt they provided me with good customer service.

· Registered
13 Posts
Folks, I don't know if this will make you feel any better.
But here in Hong Kong, there is only ONE dealer for each brand, which means there is no competition and we do NOT have a choice once we decide on the brand.................

My wife drvies a 95 Toyota, I presently own an 2001 Audi (changing this to a Treg soon), my dad drives a 2002 Mercedes, my brother drives a 2003 Porsche, and guess what? The Toyota is the one and only that offer some kind of decent service...............

Wish me luck with VW Hong Kong!

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.