Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been mentioned many times in this forum. But : I just cannot believe my ears... I hated the sound in my touareg so much and this simple coding has exceeded my expectations.

It really is possible that VW did it on purpose (another cheating?) in order to sell more dynaudio systems because it really takes a subpar sound from the original profile and makes it way above average. In fact, the standard sound of Touareg is so bad that I doubt you can really make it great just by investing in amps and speakers/sub. If you want to improve the sound this coding is the first thing to do, then amp and speakers/sub.

Just a quick reminder for the tip:

Using VCDS :

Module 56 (Radio)
Long Coding (7 in VCDS)
Change Byte 4 (which is actually the 5th Byte because the first byte is byte 0). Change that byte from 01 to 00.

I changed from : 02 00 07 02 01 00 00 00 01
To : 02 00 07 02 00 00 00 00 01

It seriously took less than 5 minutes for the garage right beside where I work to do it (they did not use a VCDS, they had some kind of wireless module with a tablet - very nice setup, cannot remember the name).

When it's done, you only get the improved sound after some time (you need to open / close / lock / unlock / open the door I think). But when you get it : you do notice it right away. And then you have to lower the bass in the Setup menu (I put mine around 35-40% - 50 being the middle). No more shallow bass and strange muffling of the sound in general. Also much more volume now

Do it, even if you're not an audiophile, you will not regret!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just be careful, the volume control is more aggressive and you can probably hit speakers with damaging power levels with this mod. But then by that stage you would not be able to sit in the car in any case I suppose so kind of self limiting. Yes a great mod. Other side effect, the stock Treg when you first get in and start after listening to the audio the past day will start the volume at what was then an acceptable level - it is now a quite high volume level.

·
Registered
513 Posts
gta_driver: which year do you have and which RNS850 firmware are you running? I think my RNS850 sounded better before the firmware update (can't be 100% sure though).

Have you messed with all the audio settings?

I'm asking the same question by the way. I def need a little better bass, or perhaps a DSP to allow me to customize the sound profile to my liking.

I started another thread asking about DSP to Dynaudio.

Somewhere I read the pre DSP outputs can be captured off the optical bus and fed to an aftermarket DSP to allow complete customization of the raw sound. Not sure what would be required or whether this is only for the first gen Touareg... but I am curious.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried this out today and didn't really like it. It caused lower frequencies to really be blown out of proportion.With the bass adjusted to the middle, some songs would be crazy bass heavy while others didn't have enough. Before the modification, bass levels seemed to be equalized between tracks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
agentsmith988:

Which did you try?

I've noticed that much of the music I listen to has sort of crappy bass. I thought it was the Dynaudio (I'm still hoping to add a sub for the few songs that require real bass to sound right)...

Which Dynaudio confidence setting are you using? Depending on the setting the bass will be high or low. I wish there was a quicker way to switch bass during a song as some songs want a custom profile, others need the first profile (forget what it's called since my RNS850 is not working right now), then there is the setting on the right that is high in bass...

·
Registered
460 Posts
agentsmith988:

Which did you try?

I've noticed that much of the music I listen to has sort of crappy bass. I thought it was the Dynaudio (I'm still hoping to add a sub for the few songs that require real bass to sound right)...

Which Dynaudio confidence setting are you using? Depending on the setting the bass will be high or low. I wish there was a quicker way to switch bass during a song as some songs want a custom profile, others need the first profile (forget what it's called since my RNS850 is not working right now), then there is the setting on the right that is high in bass...

I activated the Dynaudio on my '11 Tregs RNS850.
I think by activating the Dynaudio in a standard audio system you don't get the "confidence settings" option. It just changes the audio output profile with no extra adjustments available.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Check the Setup Screen and Goto the Sound Menu. There should be a menu item that says Dynaconfidence (or something like that). Press that button and then it should show you 4 presets and one that says custom (it's up near the back button on the right corner). This is the manual mode for treble and bass settings.

Also on another note. I tried some audio test tracks to see how low the bass goes. With Dynaudio the output is pretty impressive. Perhaps not perfect for an audiofile but mostly good enough for me (or at least good enough to get a line out for a sub off the front speaker output). I'm fairly confident the system goes as low as 30 Hz, perhaps even down to 10 Hz (my ear isn't calibrated that well). If I can find the output wires for the door speakers I will tap into the lines and see what the frequency content is from a test track.... the bigger issue for me is the complete lack of and EQ with enough Bass gain adjustment....

·
Registered
7 Posts
RNS850 Mod

I tried this out today and didn't really like it. It caused lower frequencies to really be blown out of proportion.With the bass adjusted to the middle, some songs would be crazy bass heavy while others didn't have enough. Before the modification, bass levels seemed to be equalized between tracks.

I agree with this. I tried the mod, and found it made the sound way to harsh. I was always adjusting the bass. It sounded great when listening to Def Leppard though!

Eventually I went back to the original, boring sound mode.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Check the Setup Screen and Goto the Sound Menu. There should be a menu item that says Dynaconfidence (or something like that). Press that button and then it should show you 4 presets and one that says custom (it's up near the back button on the right corner). This is the manual mode for treble and bass settings.

OK I double checked this tonight in case I missed it the first time and there definitely is no Dynaconfidence option. Just the standard bass/treble balance/fader and voice assist volume options.
I remember somewhere in another thread about this and someone had said it only changes the sound profile and does not give any additional user features.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice to hear I’m not alone in thinking the factory audio system could be better, especially in a car with an original sticker of $62k 10 years ago. My biggest disappointment is with the lousy rear speakers and their placement or lack of power to rear from the amp. They are far too low to adequately fill the rear space with quality sound. I have ‘wanted’ to add additional speakers and/or amps for years but just haven’t seen the ‘need’ to. 🤨

Bump for a solution that doesn’t require adding AM audio equip to my stock Treg.

Peace! ✌

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just for your information, I have upgraded the RNS850 sound with DSP + 4x250W in the doors + 500W for the Subwoofer.
I did not change the original doors speakers and they are very good resisting to the extra power driven by the Audison amplifier.
So do not be afraid to damage the doors speakers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just for your information, I have upgraded the RNS850 sound with DSP + 4x250W in the doors + 500W for the Subwoofer.
I did not change the original doors speakers and they are very good resisting to the extra power driven by the Audison amplifier.
So do not be afraid to damage the doors speakers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just changed my rns850 sound profile today with vcds, OH MY GOD. EXCUSE ME TOUAREG YOU'VE HAD SOUND LIKE THIS THE WHOLE TIME?!?!?! Took maybe 45 seconds to change it, was stopping by car toys to see a buddy who works there. He has 4 w6 12s running in his Ford and even he made a face and asked if I put in a sub/subs. NOPE! Needless to say the sound was my biggest pet peeve about the Touareg, over 50% audio level, it had nothing to give after that. Windows down, going fast? Good luck hearing your music. So happy now that I have the sound I want and got it for free! DO IT PEOPLE

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just changed my rns850 sound profile today with vcds, OH MY GOD. EXCUSE ME TOUAREG YOU'VE HAD SOUND LIKE THIS THE WHOLE TIME?!?!?! Took maybe 45 seconds to change it, was stopping by car toys to see a buddy who works there. He has 4 w6 12s running in his Ford and even he made a face and asked if I put in a sub/subs. NOPE! Needless to say the sound was my biggest pet peeve about the Touareg, over 50% audio level, it had nothing to give after that. Windows down, going fast? Good luck hearing your music. So happy now that I have the sound I want and got it for free! DO IT PEOPLE
May be I will do the same even if I fully modified the Audio System.
Possibly this will allow to better drive the DSP.

I have a question to all of you: before to modify the system, the rear doors sound was very low with respect to the front one. Is it the same also in your system RNS 850 ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am trying to find someone in the Irvine/Tustin area that can do this Dynaudio coding (and a couple others) for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So i made this mod too, 3 days ago, sounds awesome, but when i go little over half volume, which is pretty loud anyway the entire sound to speakers is cut off, i have to lower the volume to be able to get music back.
Or sometimes when there is a loud part of the song, the sound is dissapearing completely, then comes back if more quieter part of the song comes again.
Any ideas????
Sounds like there is some protection not to blow speakers if too loud??
I also have DSP, pp52dsp, so it may be it, but i just want to make sure before i unhook it, since it requires major panel removals to get to cabling

·
Registered
135 Posts
I also have DSP, pp52dsp, so it may be it, but i just want to make sure before i unhook it, since it requires major panel removals to get to cabling
The DSP is clipping the signal when too high. Withi this mod you have to tune again the DSP input signal.
This is the reason why I havo not done this yet ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
The DSP is clipping the signal when too high. Withi this mod you have to tune again the DSP input signal.
This is the reason why I havo not done this yet ...
Ah, ok, thank you very much then.
So i guess i can not use AudiotecFisher official TREG sound profiles, since these are not editable, and have to create my own.
I dont really know how to make one, so maybe i can get one from someone else on the forum, but thanks again for the clarification.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ah, ok, thank you very much then.
So i guess i can not use AudiotecFisher official TREG sound profiles, since these are not editable, and have to create my own.
I dont really know how to make one, so maybe i can get one from someone else on the forum, but thanks again for the clarification.
here is the manual of your DSP :
Play with switch 1 and 2 in config -2dB or -4dB ... it might be OK with the actual sound profile.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
13 Participants
miazza
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing