Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new here but have been reading some great posts about the various trips people have taken and I am looking for some advice. We are planning a trip to Perth in March and are tossing up going via the Great Central road for the way over and the Nullarbor for the way back. We have a 2014 Toureg and Jayco Eagle Outback Camper trailer.

Would this would suitable to travel from Uluru to Kalgoorlie via the Great Central Road or would I be pushing my luck?

Thanks
Ian

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I would do it without a concern. Your car an trailer wouldn't have an issue.

Forum member Singh has recently done a trip on the road and should be able to give you some current condition advice. Trucks are using this run all the time. So I don't think you will have an issue.

I am currently in Port Lincoln and if time was not an issue, I would willing do a quick "test run" for you.

Stuart..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Aedryn

We are planning a similar trek towing a 20' Van, for late March early April, interested to see what conditions to expect.
We are located near the Essendon Airport area in Melbourne, which part of Oz do you hail from?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ewhen,

We are from Wollongong, planning to head to Adelaide first for the V8 Supercars (first weekend in March ) and then head up the centre via Coober Pedy and across via the Great Central Road through Kalgoorlie and to Perth. My wife has a conference in Perth on the 19th March so we thought driving across and showing our two boys the country would be a great way to do it.

Ian aka Aedryn

·
Learner
5,156 Posts
No probs there, road conditions were good and suitable to how you are travelling.
Watchout for camels, livestock and locals after petrol, dont be alarmed if you see a face in the middle of night sniffing around for any grab and go fuel(petrol) containers.
Enjoy your trip, awesome out there!

·
Registered
2008 R50
104 Posts
The road is wide. Well travelled and regularly graded, In fact we went past a long section where a grading team were at work.

We saw much more traffic, trucks, all sorts of campers, caravans and motor homes, than we did on the Anne Beadell, Gunbarrel, and Old Gunbarrel, where seeing another vehicle was a rarity! Singh, Tim and I joined the GCR at the end of the Old Gunbarrel. It was like joining an Expressway after the Old Gun!

There are the occasional deep creek bed, wash-away, crossing the road that you will need to slow down for ... They are usually signposted, and new ones are marked with a post with an orange streamer. The camp sites are well used and can be short of firewood, so it is a good idea to have some wood or packs of hotrox on board. At the Docker River Campsite we had a pesky Dingo keep coming in during the night and pinching stuff ... it even stole Tim's frying pan which had not been washed up! We circled the camp looking for it in the morning, but it had gone.

Make sure to visit Lassiter's Cave and the Giles Weather Station which has a good display of Len Beadell memorabilia including his paintings and grader.

Cheers and safe trip, Mike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, as per my other thread, should I get some 17" wheels for the crossing or do you think my 20' ones would be ok??

·
Learner
5,156 Posts
Thanks for the replies, as per my other thread, should I get some 17" wheels for the crossing or do you think my 20' ones would be ok??
17s for sure!
If at all 20s then put cooper zeons ltz or similar tyres....i carry two spares for outback trips

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Singh, I might go for a new set of Coopers (if they are the best?) 90% of the trip will be on tar roads, it's only the 1000km of the Great Central road which will be dirt so maybe the Coopers will be the best option.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts