Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the fix done last week, seven days later (today) the glow plug light comes on and the TDI goes into the limp mode, twenty seconds later the car dies stranding me in the road. Thanks to VW it gets towed back 50 miles to the dealer. They won't be able to check it out until Christmas eve.
It's been acting really sluggish the last couple of days, pulling out of a parking lot I punch it to blend into the traffic and it acts like I'm in 4th gear, than this!
Happy Holidays!

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Can't help but hope it gets sorted. Let us know what happened.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking closer at my receipt for the emissions modification, replacing glow plug 03L-906-061-H is part of the FIX and I'm guessing part of my issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer called me yesterday to say good news, bad news...bad news, the high pressure fuel pump grenaded and sent small metal fragments though the whole system and the whole system needs to be replaced. Good new, VW will pick up the $10,000 repair bill.
I find it quite a coincidence this happened one week after the FIX .

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good that VW are paying. This can cost up to $16,000 to fix.

It is a known issue with several possible causes.

Misfuelling with gas instead of diesel.

Poor quality diesel with poor lubricity.

Persistently running the fuel tank to well under 1/4 full.

The engine does not use all the diesel that the pump delivers to it and it returns the unwanted fuel to the fuel tank.

Because the high pressure pump heats the diesel as it pressures it, the hot unwanted fuel returns via a fuel cooler but it also relies on the contents of the fuel tank to provide additional cooling.

Accordingly it's been suggested that Tdi owners always refuel at 1/4 full and don't run the tank down to E and fumes!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's funny you mention the fuel issue, the first thing the dealer said was poor diesel quality or gasoline.
I told them that I was still on the tank of fuel they put in as part of the FIX.
They said they have the receipt for the fuel they put in it so that wasn't the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts