Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Touareg tdi, air suspension, etc
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn to join the many with the VW / Audi plenum chamber leak. A bit a spare water in the passengers side front, but a bit dependant on where and how the car is parked, nose up or down, not level side to side etc.

The common causes in the VAG family have been checked with reference to the very helpful little extras mentioned throughout the forum. This was the findings for my car.

Not the sunroof drains. Temporarily taped up the sunroof and no change. Interestingly after taping it up I have had water draining from the right rear above the tailpipe, but not the drain that runs through the mudflap. Still to confirn exactly where this is from but no water visible inside the boot. It didn't seem to do it before I taped over the sunroof???

The cabin filter is bone dry with no water marks etc. The water seems to be running down the footwell bulkhead between the steel panel and the carpet rubber underlay.

Did the Plenum drains. The LH one didn't look like it had ever been inspected. Water in the plenum chamber but only a ltr or two all up. Drain fitting was bunged up with sediment as per usual. What was unusual was the area at the rear of the wheel well and the sill was absolutely packed with what looked like compost. Very fine soil, a bit wet but quite solid. Almost the volume of a Ltr container once it was all removed. Deduced that it has drained through the rubber drain over the years and just settled at the lowest point.

RH drain plug had been removed in the past and while I have no issues here, someone in the past looks to have been regularly inspecting it due to the missing screws and damage to the liner. I could see the large wiring loom that sits over half the drain hole so no wonder it had been a problem.

It is now almost dry inside, just a bit more to do for the last vestiges of moisture. Confidence, not high as I still don't know what the entry point is.

What I need is photos of the LHS Plenum under the E-Box to see what through-bulkhead seals into the cabin exist in that area. I can strip out the E-Box and remove it but would prefer to be a bit informed before I do that and as always, unnecessary movement of older plastic fittings always has it's risks. Any help in this area much appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still haven't been able to source and photos of the plenum under the e-box but the good news is that despite the mass rain of late I haven't been able to detect any more water in the cabin. It takes quite some effort of dry out the formed foam underlay and mine is still just a bit damp but it is getting there.

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
145 Posts
Still haven't been able to source and photos of the plenum under the e-box but the good news is that despite the mass rain of late I haven't been able to detect any more water in the cabin. It takes quite some effort of dry out the formed foam underlay and mine is still just a bit damp but it is getting there.
When I got a massive water leak in my old BMW, removing the carpet was impractical so I set up a vacuum cleaner to blow and was able to lift the formed carpet enough to get the pipe in and just blow air under the carpet. Took a while - over a day - but it did dry out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had plans to do just that but with my undergover garages full, the Touareg is living outside and we have had a fair bit of unseasonable weather so it wasn't really an option. I did find that the thicker microfibre cloths (300-500 gsm) did a huge job of drying everythihng out so it was just a sequence of laying out the cloths under the carpet for a few hours and then changing them in a weather break.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a tiny fit of madness I arranged to be in mid west victoria at the same time as a severe weather warning and wide spread flooding from the last weeks rain. This will at least check if I have more or less sorted out the wet carpet issues or have to start again drying it out. Seems good so far. Unfortunately our destination is right in the middle of the area covered by the warning so the car will at least have plenty opportunity to get wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts