Club Touareg Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Some people are bound to repeat the same mistake over and over.

But I admire your perseverance!

I've met Richard, the owner of the famous Otis.
His rig is bone stock and he's made some fantastic treks across the world.
He doesn't believe in lifted poseurs, no matter how capable they are. And I share his sentiment.

Cheers...
Without the lift I wouldn't have a chance to drive 90% of the tracks I've driven either due to low ground clearance or damaging components underneath.

The stuff I tackle is probably abit more serious then your usual "overlanding" stuff as most of the tracks we drive are black/double black diamond.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
After running into issues with the police regarding the wheel's hanging out the guards I've decided to go back to stock wheels to save myself the hassles as I still use this as a daily drive.

Opted for 265/70/17 Klever R/T's as I have really liked them on the 18's for both on and offroad performance. They measure up only slightly smaller then the 275/65's I had on the 18's so I'm not super concerned about losing a few MM's of ground clearence. I'm not sure if I'll go for a aftermarket wheel again as I need pretty specifics offsets to keep it "legal" here. Front left shock has been blown for as long as I have put this car together so pulled them out and had springs swapped over with some good condition OE struts I had sitting here. It's made an absolute world of difference.

I'm honestly not sure what i'm going to do next with it. I had seriously tossed up making a custom suspension setup using profender coilovers but I just don't think the cost is worth the gains I'm going to see. I'd really like to get a set of braids for it but abit pricey for the time being. Really need to get the windows retinted and that will probably be it and start trying to plan some decent trips in it and get some good use out of it touring is what I'm hoping.

Few photos from the last time I took it wheeling with the 18's on it -
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Plant

Wheel Tire Car Automotive carrying rack Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky

New tyre combo -

Sky Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Plant Sky

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Sky

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Replaced the transfer case output seal after having it leak for the better part of 9 months. I've ordered a set of flares so I can go back to running the 18's and wider track. I've gone back and forth with a few different companies to try and find a wheel that fits, clears brakes and keeps the track width legal but it's near on impossible. Did a day out wheeling a few weeks ago and had a heap of fun!

Tire Plant Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Car

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Vehicle

· Registered
3 Posts
Nice build!
Was browsing webs looking for lift options for my gen2, came across this - was wondering whether this is you or someone just using your photos?

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

· Registered
5,685 Posts
The only thing that frustrates me, the V8 dual air box is nearly impossible to make a snorkel for.
There aren't any aftermarket boxes?? I'd be shocked if there aren't

· Registered
2004 V8
399 Posts

· Registered
5,685 Posts
There is only one. Beyond that, custom fabrication.
Another solution is this: MFN-UNI - Universal Black Enclosed Filter 70-90mm
And with CAD air intake can be raised above headlights w/o cutting body panels.
That's for the v10 though (dark side), or do they share the same boxes?

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Flares finally arrived. Ordered through LVTuning. The fit and finish is pretty average at best and the seller is a real PITA to deal with. They offered zero solutions bar me sending them back at my cost and still not refunding the full amount.

Had them painted and fitted them up. They're growing on me.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Tire Cloud Wheel Car Sky

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
2016 Touareg, 1999 Audi A4 Stroker
84 Posts
61 - 80 of 82 Posts