Sadly the Touareg suffered a pretty catastrophic failure on our very last trip out in it. I busted a transfer case and decided to call it quits with that car. Few reasons but mainly because it had a pretty hard life before I got my hands onto it. I learnt so much in it, met many great new friends and did some solid exploring in it. Here's a dump of what photos I had before we decided to pack it in.
Super tidy car with some basic modifications. Had already had different shocks and a longer spring front and rear installed, front bash plate and a anderson plug routed into the boot. Picked it up at a decent price with the idea of esentially transferring bits and pieces over and building what I would think is a pretty capable offroad touring vehicle.
I decided to do things abit different this time around and try a more aggressive tyre on the same wheels I already had. Opted for the same size 275/65/18 but this time in a Kenda Klever R/T's. As you can see in the photos, far more aggressive then the old Hankooks. Decided to give these a go as I spend alot more time offroad then I used so wanted to try something with more sidewall bite and a softer compound. So far I rate them really well. A little noisy on road but nothing to complain about considering how aggressive they are. Plenty of grip in mud and on rocks also.
I opted to keep the longer springs and shocks in the front and rear but also add a 30mm lower strut extension in the front and a 20mm subframe drop. It gave me the slight front up look I prefer. I've tried to keep this one a little lower then the last one to keep the COG down. Mounted the roof tray setup on this car but decided to use the ROLA crossbars that were already fitted as I was never a big fan of having the silver rails on the old car. Pretty much had it all put together in a couple of hours.
With a few big camping trips coming up I finally decided to go ahead and tackle the dual battery system in the back. The plan was to have a decent 12v system so we can run fridge/lights/charge phones etc etc.
Mounted the battery in the spare wheel well which is charged with a Projecta 25a DCDC charger.
65L Fridge and slide on one side and a Draw on the other. This does stop the use of the spare wheel well but I've found this setup to be so much nicer so far.
Also had some fabrication work done. Tank protectors, transfer protector, rock sliders, muffler delete and snorkel fitted.
Got the car finished, went out to landcruiser mountain park and smashed a hole in the transfer case.
Cut the trip short, drove it 80k's with out hole in it to get into reception and call a tow truck. Pulled the transfer case out of the last car and got it fitted today. 2 hours from pulling it out to putting the new one in and driving it out of the garage. Fitted the rear lift while I was there and did rear muffler delete.
Oh also fitted a Stedi single row light bar.
Probably time to invest into some good underbody protection.
New rear draw fitted, shifted the compressor to under the floor. Will eventually replace the floor with ply and build around the fridge for abit of extra storage space when we go camping.
Have been working on doing new bushes in the front end. Have just fitted powerflex LCA bushes and have ordered some new UCA's. Chasing a pretty annoying knock so will keep replacing parts until it dissapears.
Some people are bound to repeat the same mistake over and over.
But I admire your perseverance!
I've met Richard, the owner of the famous Otis.
His rig is bone stock and he's made some fantastic treks across the world.
He doesn't believe in lifted poseurs, no matter how capable they are. And I share his sentiment.