Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So abit more tinkering.

Decided to make up a upper strut spacer to get abit more lift out of the front end as it was nose down. This is what we have ended up with (note, the bolts are being replaced with a higher tensile bolt, this was just a mock up). Ended up with a 30mm upper spacer which gave us a pretty decent lift over what it already had.

Fit them up then ran into issues with the front CV's. I didn't expect to be hitting the limit of them already but I figure it was going to be getting close. It was fine on flat ground however once you start to accelerate and the front would droop is when it would cause issues. I had some 20mm subframe spacers cut up and put everything back in check geometry wise.

Flat Ground -

Full Droop -

Subframe spacer (need to be painted still)

This sorted alot of the issues we had. Drove fine, took it in and got a wheel alignment and they were still able to get everything back within factory specs which I was surprised about. Next point of call will probably be making some adjustable UCA's but this is pretty much how it sits.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update:

So the upper strut spacer didn't work. My own mistakes but figured it was time to look at other options. Have finally sorted it using lower strut extension and we are all sweet. Tested it up the beach yesterday and no dramas. No knocking, no weird creaking so i'm pretty happy with it has all worked. Extra lift has also given me more clearance for the intercoolers aswell so no more scrubbing on lock.

Also fitted up a alloy roof tray using rhino stealth racks and a awning. Have ordered a 32" slimline light bar but still waiting for it to arrive. Also started fitting some rock lights underneath. Slowly coming together, few things I still want to do but it's getting there.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 4.2V8 T1 with air suspension. My question, you said you had to have the wheels redrilled? What specs did you start with? Not many options here in the states. Really nice setup, this is the look, I'm looking for!

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The wheels were purchased as blanks with no PCD drilled. They are 18x8.5 +15 offset and only just clear the brakes. Anything with this spec is going to be outside of your fenders however so depending how you want it to look you might need to look at running flares.

Now maybe looking at extending LCA, UCA + custom CV's all around to get more travel but thats more a long term project along with fox shocks later on.

Finished installing the rock lights, lightbar arrived today so that's this weekends job.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Looks amazing! Where did you run the wiring for the light bar? Drill through the roof or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I popped the trim of the windshield and ran it down beside the windshield. Was plenty of room to run the cabling with sheathing down there then just under the trims where the bulkheads are into the engine bay. Seemed to be the easiest way to do it and didn't have to cut/drill any holes.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Recently had an event about 6 hours from me so decided to tow my drift car down with this. Wired in an electronic brake controller (this doesn't have the factory wiring) and it all went sweet. Averaged 13L/100 with the touareg full loaded in the back with wheels/tyres/tools etc etc plus the car and car trailer. Towed super well, plenty of torque/power. Unfortunatley copped a defect notice while in NSW (Australian blokes will understand) for wheel/tyres outside the guards and no mufflers.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Finally bit the bullet and took it proper "offroading" over the weekend. Went out to Glasshouse Mountains located north of brisbane for a few hours. Proper impressed with how capable these things are.

Sunk it pretty hard through a hole that was alot deeper then we expected (water lapping the bottom of the windscreen)and now having some issues with charging so think it may have started to kill an alternator.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hello, I'm back again.

Trekked back out to glasshouse again after the last trip out got cut short. Started off pretty easy but as I made up most stuff we started looking for harder tracks to hit. Super stoked with it how it went. mishap at the end of the day left me with a busted front bar and a broken intercooler. Damaged 3 of the 4 wheels on some rocks, bent the drivers sil and broke both skirts off and also ripped the rear lip from the reo. Was all worth it. Few mods on the list now to really make it super capable. Underbody protection and rock sliders next then hopefully look at some new shocks all around.

After pulling it all apart, reclipping majority of it it doesn't look to bad. Not worth repairing as the bar cops a flogging so it will do for now

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Awesome build and videos!

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
What did you do with the steering shaft when you installed the spacers on the subframe? What thickness of the subframe spacers did you go with?
Didn't have any issues with the steering shaft, I went 20mm for that reason as I didn't want to play around with it just yet. I would consider it if I was going to go bigger lift but I have no issues with the CV's at the current height and I honestly don't think there is any benefit in raising it in further.

Was supposed to go back out to Glasshouse this weekend to try a few other tracks but sadly it's closed due to rain we've got here in the last week so we went for abit of a look at in the kenilworth/connondale forestry. Friend of mine just picked himself up a Touareg aswell so was a cool little drive to see how it goes with the new lift installed.

Really overdue for a catch can and I have a funny feeling I may have a leaking EGR cooler. I'll have abit of a look into it as it probably wouldn't hurt to delete the whole lot anyway. Either way, still pleased with the car. Hoping to get out alot more in it in 2021. We've booked a week trip over to fraser island later in the year and granted its still running and driving as it should by the time 2022 rolls around I wouldn't mind taking it upto cape york.

For anyone interested in photos that don't really get chucked up on here, follow my instagram - Login • Instagram

21 - 40 of 82 Posts