Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've a 2006 V6 diesel that's just turned 112000 miles.
If I stop with the engine running for say 5 minutes then start off again I leave a cloud of grey smoke behind me. I've stopped to see what this smells like and it smells like unspent fuel. When I park after a short journey from cold there's also a smell of un-burnt fuel.
Also sometimes when I start up from cold it feels/sounds a bit "lumpy" like the 2 banks aren't in sync.
One garage says this is caused by the DPF being "clogged" up which they can fix by cutting the DPF out and re-welding the exhaust back together. - £550
A second garage ran dealer level diagnositics and said at least 1 fuel injector has failed. 6 x £350 / fuel injectors + labour + tax =£3350 OUCH!(the cars worth not much more than twice that)

Any ideas gratefully received

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you checked the oil level? If not DO SO.

If the level is higher than it should be then the unburnt diesel is getting through which is NOT good as the car can then start to run out of control on its engine oil and you can't turn it off!

Try posting on the UK site too: www.mytreg.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - oil level is(and always has been) stable. This doesn't appear to affect use of oil, just lumpy running from cold for about 30 seconds(occasionally), un-used fuel smell after short journeys and cloud of unburnt fuel pushed out after engine idles for 5+minutes.

The guy who said it could be the DPF also said it could be malfunction/failure of the Lambda sensor. I think this reads the air/fuel mix - not sure if this is pre or post combustion. He also mentioned it
could be ERG valve failure.
These cars are so complex with so many "feedback" systems that identifying the root cause of a problem is a nightmare.
Any other ideas???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.
I think the guy who ran the dealer level diagnostics was using VAG.com. It was him who suggested I spend £3350 to fix the problem. Was he looking for a decent sized invoice or is this the sort of output he'd get from VAG.com?
Thanks for your hjelp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts