Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Bigger anti-sway bar?

Trade it for a Touareg with a lighter engine? That 4.2 is a HEAVY lump in the nose, and that in and of itself is going to drive understeer.....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Its not meant to be driven that way. I think your expectations are too high...

Only think you can really do is find a stiffer/bigger rear swaybar like 'ameoba' mentioned. That's the only thing that will help dial it out. Well, I guess better suspension will help but there are not any options out there. Higher spring rate in the rear would help if you want to have some coils custom wound.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not meant to be driven that way. I think your expectations are too high... Only think you can really do is find a stiffer/bigger rear swaybar like 'ameoba' mentioned. That's the only thing that will help dial it out. Well, I guess better suspension will help but there are not any options out there. Higher spring rate in the rear would help if you want to have some coils custom wound.
thanks for the feed back I was planning on installing a neuspeed sway bar for it not sure how much that's going to effect the understeer of any. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
454 Posts
without spending any money, your best bet to reduce understeer would be to brake earlier and harder before the corners and don't get back on the power until you are past the apex of the corner. get on the power too early and the AWD will work against you and cause understeer..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
without spending any money, your best bet to reduce understeer would be to brake earlier and harder before the corners and don't get back on the power until you are past the apex of the corner. get on the power too early and the AWD will work against you and cause understeer..
thanks for the reply I ALWAYS do this when driving the treg hard it's the best way to cage the beast lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
thanks for the reply I ALWAYS do this when driving the treg hard it's the best way to cage the beast lol
Its hard to say that because you're still understeering :)

anyway, even if you are hitting the brakes early and hard, chances are that you are not hitting them as hard as you think and/or you are "behind the wheel" which means that your steering inputs are too late to take the corner effectively. that can also cause understeer, especially if you are going too fast for the given corner...

The treg is a nice handling truck for sure, when driven within it's limits. If you like hustling down the back roads, then honestly, it sounds like you would be happier in a small sporty car over a large beastly treg..
I would seriously recommend looking at a Mazda Miata and then find your local autocross or track day club and have at it. The miata is cheap as dirt and handles better than most high dollar sports cars. You will learn more about car handling at any one of those legal events than any amount of stupid driving you can do on your favorite back road.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its hard to say that because you're still understeering :) anyway, even if you are hitting the brakes early and hard, chances are that you are not hitting them as hard as you think and/or you are "behind the wheel" which means that your steering inputs are too late to take the corner effectively. that can also cause understeer, especially if you are going too fast for the given corner... The treg is a nice handling truck for sure, when driven within it's limits. If you like hustling down the back roads, then honestly, it sounds like you would be happier in a small sporty car over a large beastly treg.. I would seriously recommend looking at a Mazda Miata and then find your local autocross or track day club and have at it. The miata is cheap as dirt and handles better than most high dollar sports cars. You will learn more about car handling at any one of those legal events than any amount of stupid driving you can do on your favorite back road.
I guess what I was trying to say does anybody know of any good bolt ons that would increase upon the threshold between under steer and flying through the apex

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its hard to say that because you're still understeering :) anyway, even if you are hitting the brakes early and hard, chances are that you are not hitting them as hard as you think and/or you are "behind the wheel" which means that your steering inputs are too late to take the corner effectively. that can also cause understeer, especially if you are going too fast for the given corner... The treg is a nice handling truck for sure, when driven within it's limits. If you like hustling down the back roads, then honestly, it sounds like you would be happier in a small sporty car over a large beastly treg.. I would seriously recommend looking at a Mazda Miata and then find your local autocross or track day club and have at it. The miata is cheap as dirt and handles better than most high dollar sports cars. You will learn more about car handling at any one of those legal events than any amount of stupid driving you can do on your favorite back road.
all I wanted to try and do was dial out the understeer tendencies in the vehicle and make it more neutral is that possible with sway bars and other suspension adjustments

·
Administrator
4,379 Posts
What size and type tires or you running? Are you sure you are steel or are you air suspension? You wan't understeer, try a V10! That thing is a PIG in the corners, but pulls out of the apex with aplomb. Actually it's more like a pig with its nuts on fire.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Even T3, which is less off-roady than T1 and T2, has big understeers. Every part on these SUV's comes with a big sticker says understeer. You can definitely remove understeer, but not without investing big money if you want to do it without giving up on grip. I guess if you want a truly neutral one, you need to look for a lighter and cheaper to mod car. Keep this one as a towing and cruising family carrier.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Why wouldn't the Cayenne roll bars help with this? That is what they do specifically. Just do the rear one to decrease under steer. You can reduce understeer by softening the front bar, or stiffening the rear. Either GTS bar or Turbo bars should help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What size and type tires or you running? Are you sure you are steel or are you air suspension? You wan't understeer, try a V10! That thing is a PIG in the corners, but pulls out of the apex with aplomb. Actually it's more like a pig with its nuts on fire.
I'm running 275's with Bilsetin sport shocks and h&r lowering springs

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Does ESP increase understeer? The first time I drove a ESP active VAG product (2006 GLI) I noticed a BIG difference from ESP induced understeer (you could feel it working). The car fought me on a corner such that I was almost forced out of the corner and across an outside lane. My inferior (but not ESP equipped Jetta-a 1988 MK1) could take this same corner at 40 mph faster thanks to me having control. Now that said I regularly kicked the back end out and drifted some corners (on accident the first time) which is what ESP is trying to prevent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does ESP increase understeer? The first time I drove a ESP active VAG product (2006 GLI) I noticed a BIG difference from ESP induced understeer (you could feel it working). The car fought me on a corner such that I was almost forced out of the corner and across an outside lane. My inferior (but not ESP equipped Jetta-a 1988 MK1) could take this same corner at 40 mph faster thanks to me having control. Now that said I regularly kicked the back end out and drifted some corners (on accident the first time) which is what ESP is trying to prevent.
I'm not sure I've never noticed that I usually turn it off as soon as I turn the car on unless it's raining or snowing

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.