Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am starting to look at a replacement for the R50. Not interested in the R line as want a proper 4WD. The RRS is starting to get my interest SVD8 has good performance. Might not do it but starting to look. The RR has an options list that is almost impossible to decipher I'll not order but look for a demo and prices I can afford.

If you have some good stories that outline my insanity for even considering the curry muncher then please post.

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
I did exactly the same comparison, with RR the options are confusing, too expensive, and then from a technical perspective even though R line doesnt have low range it still has better options, approach, departure angles, etc
If low range is a must then theres no other option in that category except the RR... Instead of sport how about the vogue?
Rline with MTR's will take you many places

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thks.Sìngh, hard choice and one thing that sticks out is current car.has most of.the options.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
If you use the approach of "preventative/scheduled" maintenance in the same fashion as they do in the aviation industry, you should be able to make your current vehicle last 25 years.. That's the direction I am heading..or at least trying to.,

Stuart..

Reactions: Singh

·
Registered
725 Posts
SVD8 ?

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
If you use the approach of "preventative/scheduled" maintenance in the same fashion as they do in the aviation industry, you should be able to make your current vehicle last 25 years.. That's the direction I am heading..or at least trying to., Stuart..
Like your thinking, idea Stuart, maybe I could do the same.
Do you have service schedule for the Touareg to carry out preventative maintenance?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes this is what I am attracted to. However it would be a hard change after owning two V10's for ten years and I must say a very reliable ownership period on both vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way Singh, I think the RRS has a bit more off road ability than the R Line, but I would not most likely use it.
Just checked the specs again and noticed the following:-
Wading depth better by 250 mm, ramp angle better approach and departure also better . One thing that is vastly better is a spare wheel. This being said the bullet proof reliability of German engineering gets me attracted to the Treg.

http://www.landrover.com/vehicles/range-rover-sport/specifications.html

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/content/medialib/vwd4/au/common/specifications/Touareg_Specifications_MY15/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition_0.file/vw-touareg-my15-specifications.pdf

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
yup nuts .... good luck !!!!

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
RRS or Cayenne Turbo properly optioned are the only two things out there that I can think of. Fuel economy on both sucks, not sure if I trust the curried RRS yet, and the price on both sucks.

Can you guys get a V8 TDI w/ 4xmotion over there?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
RR are known for their unreliability and expansive service. every car critics say that it brakes down all the time. i would never look at the RR, but if i had to find something fancier than touareg i would go with new Q7 or Cayenne :)
remember all that glitters is not always gold :)

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
If you use the approach of "preventative/scheduled" maintenance in the same fashion as they do in the aviation industry, you should be able to make your current vehicle last 25 years.. That's the direction I am heading..or at least trying to.,

Stuart..
I think I am in the same boat as you.

The only current viable replacement for me would be a Jeep Grand Cherokee or to keep driving my V8 with Low Range and Air.

Even if I was to offer the local VW dealer 100,000 cash, they can't get me a replacement. Oh, VW still makes some, but I would have to move outside the USA to actually buy it.

Stupid VW! kaboom

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
By the way Singh, I think the RRS has a bit more off road ability than the R Line, but I would not most likely use it. Just checked the specs again and noticed the following:- Wading depth better by Treg. http://www.landrover.com/vehicles/range-rover-sport/specifications.html http://www.volkswagen.com.au/content/medialib/vwd4/au/common/specifications/Touareg_Specifications_MY15/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition_0.file/vw-touareg-my15-specifications.pdf
Hey Bails,
Specs on the touareg dont look right on the website. Ground clearance for example should be 300mm, i have parked both side by side(v10 and R line) and the Rline isnt any less in any case.
It appears vw havent put numbers reflecting extended height..
Does the sdv8 come with 100ltr tank? I like some options LR offer- wade sensing, etc.
also dont think rear diff lock is available and similar to touareg no option to snorkel it.
If i were to buy now i would be contending same confusion. Like for like options Rline is much better value for sure and goes much quicker with a much more spirited ride!

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RR are known for their unreliability and expansive service. every car critics say that it brakes down all the time. i would never look at the RR, but if i had to find something fancier than touareg i would go with new Q7 or Cayenne :)
remember all that glitters is not always gold :)
Not after fancier but functionality with same sort of get up and go as the R50. Singh has made me take another look at the R-Line , and to be honest I am very attracted to the VAG brand.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Bails,
Specs on the touareg dont look right on the website. Ground clearance for example should be 300mm, i have parked both side by side(v10 and R line) and the Rline isnt any less in any case.
It appears vw havent put numbers reflecting extended height..
Does the sdv8 come with 100ltr tank? I like some options LR offer- wade sensing, etc.
also dont think rear diff lock is available and similar to touareg no option to snorkel it.
If i were to buy now i would be contending same confusion. Like for like options Rline is much better value for sure and goes much quicker with a much more spirited ride!
My research says the RRS SDV8 has 105 liters, zero to one hundred is 6.8 and economy of 32 mpg? So except for the straight line performance similar in fuel. I did watch a test on the Rline on uTude last night, South African review and they said that the economy on the R line was 16/100 if you drove it in a spirited manner. This would be very similar to the V10 driven the same way?

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
My research says the RRS SDV8 has 105 liters, zero to one hundred is 6.8 and economy of 32 mpg? So except for the straight line performance similar in fuel. I did watch a test on the Rline on uTude last night, South African review and they said that the economy on the R line was 16/100 if you drove it in a spirited manner. This would be very similar to the V10 driven the same way?
U test drive the sdv8, sdv6, rline v8tdi and touareg v6tdi within two days.
The performance 0-100 of sdv8 is more like touareg v6tdi, the Rline is much quicker off the mark and definitely more nimble around town and corners. Steering in the touareg is sharper.
Quality of materials both onside and out i find VG to be ahead of the game.
But with RR you can more choice in leather, color combinations etc so much so that its boggling. Whereas with rline only option is panoramic roof and hitch

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
From fuel economy perspective i reckon Rline is better than V10 by atleast 25% and more on longer runs in the 8th

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today took spouze to view RRS and fat RR. Dealer had a very low kl. RR WITH BIG DISCOUNT THAT VOT MH ATTENTION.

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
Today took spouze to view RRS and fat RR. Dealer had a very low kl. RR WITH BIG DISCOUNT THAT VOT MH ATTENTION.
done deal?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts