Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Prodigy P2 brake controller today. Came with a wiring harness. I ordered it from Amazon with a Toyota harness...
I wanted it with the Toyota connector as I plan on picking up a Land Cruiser 200 sometime in the near future. I just cut about a quarter way up the harness from the Toyota end and used the rest of the harness that connects to the brake controller to make my complete harness for the VW. There was no option for a VW harness so I ordered the parts need to make the harness from my local VW dealer. Not too local since the one near me wanted double the price than the dealer 20 mins away wanted, so I grabbed the parts up from them. Here are the part needed...wiring connector housing VW Part # 1J0-972-782 (1 ea) & wire terminal # 000-979-228 (2 ea). I think parts ran me 37 bucks. I just followed an easy DIY wiring harness build guide off of e-trailer.com.
Very easy an simple install. MY 2011 TDi came with the tow package. There was already a harness sitting wrapped up in foam on the left side a control box next to the brake pedal arm. After making the Prodigy harness to mate up, it was all plug and play.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were you building a harness to fit this green plug? If not, do you know how I could build a harness for this plug?
No, I built one for the plug under the dash that connects to a brake controller. I have never had to mess with that connector you have pictured, but as of a few minutes a ago I might...if that is the connection to the 7 pin harness. Turns out the one on the T3 is not compatible with my trailer. If you can source the VW part number for that it should be easy enough to make. This is what I was referring to...

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I have to find the right 7 pin connector for the T3. I'm sure it's as simple as buying the right connector and wiring it up...

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, went to the local VW STEALership and they had the adapter for it. It even had the mounting plate integrated and hardware to secure it to the existing bracket. Prev owner for some reason just zip tied the harness to the bracket. $55 bucks with a veterans discount, $16 on Amazon for next day. Sucks I needed it immediately to move my rig to storage. Tempted to return it now that I can wait a day or two before towing again.

Pollak 11-893P RV 7-Way Socket

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alright, went to the local VW STEALership and they had the adapter for it. It even had the mounting plate integrated and hardware to secure it to the existing bracket. Prev owner for some reason just zip tied the harness to the bracket. $55 bucks with a veterans discount, $16 on Amazon for next day. Sucks I needed it immediately to move my rig to storage. Tempted to return it now that I can wait a day or two before towing again.

Pollak 11-893P RV 7-Way Socket
You're pretty good at finding what you need or building it.

Do you know where I can find this part (7L0971124E) for less than $400?

I've looked online and tried nearby junk yards, but couldn't find it.

Also, my tow module has 3 places for connectors. Which connector would i unplug to plunge in the black/pink connector on the $400 harness?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Also, my tow module has 3 places for connectors. Which connector would i unplug to plunge in the black/pink connector on the $400 harness?
What year is your Touareg? Try Rockauto.com I looked it up on their site and used my 2011 as reference. I saw a couple of harnesses, but not sure those will work for you. Does the trailer have the same 7 pin connection you are needing? If not you can always rewire what you have to match your trailer. Depending on the pin connection, very inexpensive 20-40 bucks for the whole harness. Just have to butt up the wires. Not always the best option, but yeah, those 7 pin harnesses are quite expensive. Also check etrailer.com or an RV place local to you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Not sure on which connector you would have to connect to...not even sure if my connections are the same on the T3. Truly I have never dug into it that deep to check. I did find this by chance when checking the update status of my Pollak 7 pin adapter. If this is a correct listing, looks like a steal! You will just have to do some butt connections.

Edit...You can check with VW parts to find the part #'s needed for the connector housings that mate up to those two connector in you Treg and they might even sell the wires with the flat pin connectors. From there you just need to figure out what wire butts up to what from the 7 pin harness you buy off of Amazon. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts