Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two drawbacks to the P3, and perhaps other Tekonsha products, is that it has no ROM or EPROM which is why they specify connect RED wire to permanent 12V feed.

This is a problem as you can obviously see - meaning that it will draw minimal power 24 hours a day.

My next problem was with the REVERSE sequence. To disengage for reverse, you need to hold down a button for 5 seconds etc. A remedy thought of was to place a switch between the live feed to the unit to enable one to switch the unit off whilst reversing. Problem again is that if the unit is shut off all settings are lost.

Someone mentioned that the unit shuts of when it doesn't sense any movement for a period of time. According to Tekonsha Tech Support that is not true. The unit goes into hibernation until it senses either the brakes applied or motion. Thus again the constant power drain.

My solution is two fold neither of which is ideal but better than having a constant battery drain.

1) Wire the unit, in my case with a relay, to a switched slot in the fuse box

2) Place a switch between the relay and the controller for reverse to avoid having to press silly buttons for 5 seconds etc. to prevent brake lockup

I've passed these suggestions on; who knows someone in design engineering at Tekonsha will one day see the light.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't own one of these so I don't know how much of a pain it is to set it back after it lost power...

There are a lot of systems that draw power all the time i.e. radio, kessy, onstar, etc. It's not a big deal if the unit is designed so that the current draw is minimal. I think tekonsha is a reputable company so I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

I agree it is a pain in the butt for reversing though.

·
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue is that it's one of myriads of devices that constantly suck power from the battery. Potentially worrisome in winter, or OUR winters. Also if you don't camp year round why have the thing draw power? Yes you can remove the unit but....

It's not like there are hundreds of parameters, but it's just one more thing to do vs putting a small EPROM and an ON/OFF switch. How much would that add to the cost?

As to reversing that is nonsensical.

siberian

PS Small correction to my first post it should read "Connect BLACK wire to non switched power source". Sorry about that

·
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The proportional braking is a great feature if you tow heavy stuff. I just never thought they would design a thing like that. But look around and maybe ask those questions if a model interests you.

siberian

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a P2 and leave the truck stored in Florida for a couple of months with no problem. Wouldn't do that up in Canada or Alaska in Winter though.

Have been thinking about replacing the P2 with a Tekshona P3 though. I understand you can get a readout of current draw? That would show if ALL trailer brakes are working; voltage alone doesn't tell you that. Recently was driving across continent and noticed that only one trailer brake drum was warm after stopping. The other had a broken wire, and the P2 readout in the cab gave no indication. So now I do a daily drum temp check to be sure. The P3's current readout would make that easier.

Don't understand your Reverse problem. You want to turn off the trailer brakes when in reverse? If so, I've never heard of that being an issue ...

·
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't understand your Reverse problem. You want to turn off the trailer brakes when in reverse? If so, I've never heard of that being an issue ...
Yes, obviously I want to turn off the brakes reversing as I don't want to unit to start braking when I reverse. So the instructions on the P3 state you have to hold the BOOST button for longer than 5 seconds and after 4 minutes it reverts back to last settings. If I want to reverse, I don't want to press buttons and wait, I want to REVERSE. If you reverse without disengaging the unit it will lock up the trailer.

The P3 does give you voltage as well as other parameters (battery, boost setting, electric or hydraulic setting...).

The current draw is "minimal", but coupled with myriads of other stuff on the Treg that draw power (remote entry, Nav, and whatever else), it makes no sense to leave a brake controller to suck power for 8 months. It's a great system but just needs some fine tuning.

As I mentioned I'll be placing a switch between the relay and controller routing the fused power wire to a switch first and from there to the controller and that should shut it off without having to take the unit out every time. Ditto for reversing even though when I use it again, I will have to reset the parameters.

siberian

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, obviously I want to turn off the brakes reversing as I don't want to unit to start braking when I reverse...If you reverse without disengaging the unit it will lock up the trailer.
Odd. Send a trailer brake signal when you put it in reverse? Is this a "feature" of the Treg's Trailer Recognition Module? But why?

It certainly doesn't happen with any other rig I've trailered, and in particular not with the P2 and my Tacoma. But then they didn't have the Treg's electronics.

The P3 does give you voltage as well as other parameters (battery, boost setting, electric or hydraulic setting...)
Yes, voltage readouts are pretty standard. It's the current readout (amps) I want to make sure all the brakes are working.

Good luck with this.

·
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it's a feature of the "proportional" braking system of the P3. It senses deceleration and thus activates the brakes. Check out the literature on their site for more info.

Not much more to do other than put in the switch when I find a rocker that can esthetically be integrated :)

siberian

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK. I don't mean to be argumentative here but ... :)

First here's what I see on the web site for the Tekonsha P2:
# Great for backing into tough spots! Works proportionally in reverse with the ability to disable when not needed
# Produces stops that are in proportion to vehicles deceleration rate
# "Boost" feature gives users the ability to apply more initial trailer braking power when towing heavier trailers
I know the P2 works like this. And the P3 is supposed to be a fancier version of the P2, no?

The P3's installation manual has this:

# Reverse
# When backing a trailer you can cancel “BOOST” and “HOLD” for a period of three minutes. This can be accomplished by pressing the boost button continuously for five seconds with the brake pedal depressed.
So this temporarily disables the Boost and Hold features for 3 minutes. But "normal" proportional braking should continue in reverse, no?

Really doesn't sound to me like the trailer brakes will lock up in reverse. A lot of guys on the Trailering forum I frequent use P3's and I've never heard of this as an issue.

·
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trailer brakes don't lock up in reverse UNLESS you do not:

1) Depress the brakes whilst

2) Simultaneously press the Boost button for 5 seconds and you have n minutes to park before it reverts to normal and will cause brake lock-up again unless you do steps 1 and 2.

As I said, if I want to reverse, I don't need to go through these steps to disable this or that. I want to reverse.

Then I expect the unit to have a small ROM where parameters are saved not have to have the unit on all year.

If the above is not an issue for you then it's fine. For me it's a pain for a unit that is supposed to be the "latest and greatest". I simply pointed it out for folks considering a unit at this time. Personally had I known this I would have looked for other models that do not have these "features" :)

siberian

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK. I'll take your word for it.

And I agree, they really shouldn't work this way.

And they don't on the Tekonsha P2. At least with the boost off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
From the P3 manual:
3. The P3 will “HOLD” your trailer with 25% of power setting while you are at a standstill with brake pedal applied for longer than 5 seconds.
4. The P3 will brake proportionally in reverse. It will apply the appropriate brake voltage based on deceleration.
Sounds like you may have the "HOLD" setting on when you go into reverse. So you need to press the Boost button for 5 seconds to clear it for a few minutes. That's definitely irritating.

Seems to me the "HOLD" setting should clear as soon as you take your foot off the brake. But the manual doesn't say anything about when it normally is cleared.

Well, maybe I won't be upgrading from my P2 to a P3 anytime soon after all.

·
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As you quoted, points 3 and 4 from the manual were the ones I was trying to explain - the multiple ops and the disengaging brake for reverse if not it will lock your brakes.

As I said, my point was to bring it people's attention that though it certainly has some very nice features compared to the P2s, the manner in which it was designed is really not "convenient" for me that is.

siberian

·
Registered
62 Posts
Siberian,

I asked about the P3's locking brakes in reverse issue on another forum about trailering. So far two responses from owners with P3s; neither has this problem. Here's one:

I have zero problems with reversing with my P3, and I never touch it to reverse, either. I've had it for 4 years, and have towed 10's of thousands of miles with it controlling trailer brakes.
So I'm thinking you're either mis-reading that rather cryptic manual.

Or, if this is actually happening with your trailer, the P3 is defective, improperly installed or interacting in some weird way with the Treg's electronics.

There should be other people on this forum with P3s installed on their Tregs as well. Where are they? (Probably out camping or fishing or racing their Porsches somewhere ...)

·
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blaz, it's not what I read it's what their Tech Support Line told me.

siberian

·
Registered
62 Posts
Arggggh. Tech support.

I can confirm that things work ok in reverse. Turns out the P2, which is what I have, also puts the trailer brakes on "HOLD" after depressing the brake at stop for 5 sec. And again, you have to press the boost button for 5 secs to get the HOLD and any BOOST conditions taken off for 3 min. This is just like the P3; I just never used it.

Because it's never been an issue. I put it in reverse, take my foot off the brake and go (and stop). Never even knew it was a "feature". Turns out the HOLD condition disappears after removing your foot from the brake.

I can see the HOLD condition come on: the voltage jumps to 2.3V after 5 secs of pressing the brake, which is about 25% of my max of 9V, and stays there as long as my foot is on the pedal. But as soon as I take my foot off, the voltage drops to zero.

This is all with the boost set to one in my case.

That tech support guy has probably never even used one of these things.:rolleyes:

·
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you say HOLD you mean "suspend" trailer brakes?

Thanx for the clarification.

siberian

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, here's the manual's definition:

3. The P3 will “HOLD” your trailer with 25% of power setting while you are at a standstill with brake pedal applied for longer than 5 seconds.
So they are locked (at 25% voltage applied) when in the HOLD condition.

But as soon as you take your foot off, the voltage applied to your brakes goes to zero. HOLD is off and the brakes are no longer locked up.

As for pushing the BOOST button 5 secs to get HOLD and BOOST temporarily suspended, I really don't get it. Nobody does that as far as I know because just taking your foot off the brake removes the HOLD condition.

Maybe if you use a very high boost setting, you might want to temporarily remove it for low speed maneuvering, both forward and reverse? But I really dunno ...

·
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well using your description, if you have a medium to high BOOST setting and since it's a proportional system based on deceleration it will kick in the minute it senses you going into REVERSE and apply the brakes. That's the reason you need to disengage it.

I'm sure if you have no BOOST or 1 it won't make that much difference. But on a heavy trailer where you have substantial BOOST enabled it will. At least that's my interpretation of it from the manual and from what you describe.

siberian

1 - 20 of 27 Posts