Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a V10 TDI (04).. And it comes with 19" wheels & tires... Has anyone tried downsizing to 18"? Reason being is for a little better look, little comfier ride, and most importantly: Taller tread. Flame suit on for this one, but I'd rather have taller skinnier tires with more capable tread, even if I can only get down to 18".

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I'm in your camp, but are you going to see much of a difference from 19" to 18"? <shrug>

Since I don't have a TDI, I have a set of 17" that will go on for summer 4 wheeling.

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
Nightdrv, you unfortunately will not be able to go smaller then 18" and most V10's came with 18" stock. Will you notice a difference, it really depends on what tires you were driving on and what you will put on the 18". It will be cheaper to buy 18 vs 19 and you should have more options in the 18 size.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow, learn something new every day. I didn't think the first year Touareg had the 19" wheel option. Was it just the v10?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I just bought a V10 TDI (04).. And it comes with 19" wheels & tires... Has anyone tried downsizing to 18"? Reason being is for a little better look, little comfier ride, and most importantly: Taller tread. Flame suit on for this one, but I'd rather have taller skinnier tires with more capable tread, even if I can only get down to 18".
I run 18" rims as many other V10 owners do.
It is a small as you can go due to the brake calipers.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
734 Posts
Nightdrv, you unfortunately will not be able to go smaller then 18" and most V10's came with 18" stock. Will you notice a difference, it really depends on what tires you were driving on and what you will put on the 18". It will be cheaper to buy 18 vs 19 and you should have more options in the 18 size.
That's correct. With the 18Z calipers, he's limited to 18" and above.

I'm running 19" summer tires on my '10, and 18" winters. The winters are 235/60/18s. An alternative size is 235/65/18, if he's looking for narrower winter or mud tires...

Reactions: Nightdrv

·
Registered
14 Posts
Although I didn't change rim diameter, on my 2014 stock 18" rims, I did replace the tires with a very slightly taller, skinnier tire. I went from the OEM 255/55/18's to Firestone Destination LE2 245/60/18. I'm not positive, but I do think it's a more compliant ride and there is nothing wrong with it. But I wish I had stayed with the original size. It felt more sure footed without being too harsh. It's possible the LE2 just isn't as sporty a tire either but it is a nice tire for the price. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's correct. With the 18Z calipers, he's limited to 18" and above.

I'm running 19" summer tires on my '10, and 18" winters. The winters are 235/60/18s. An alternative size is 235/65/18, if he's looking for narrower winter or mud tires...
235/65/18 sounds perfect! Hope it has decent options for tire choices. Any suggestions? Looking more for AT than anything else, but I hear these things burn through tires and brakes all day..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Unless you are just going for winter tires, I would not use 235/60/18. I use that size for my winter set an though it works for its purpose, wider tires handle better.

255/55/18 would be my reccomendation if you wanted a stock size with a balance of comfort and handling.

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
I run a 245/70/17 all year round on my TDI. Not sure if that size in a 18" would work well or not. It handles fine imo. I don't try to believe it is a sports car, but it handles better then other SUV's I have owned in the past even with that tall of a tire. I do run an AT tire as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't really care about the handling.. Per se. I have anther car for that. I care about comfort, quietness, and ability off road. Yes, I'm fully aware that you can't have off road ability AND quietness. I know. I've had SUV's before. This thread was just a curiosity if anyone else felt the same way, and what sizes they ran.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, learn something new every day. I didn't think the first year Touareg had the 19" wheel option. Was it just the v10?

I don't know, but mine has 19's with V10 logos in the center caps...

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
The rims look vaguely "Porsche-ish" but certainly not the V10 logo. I'd be interested in what is on the back of the rims from a branding / part number description. As for the tires, I'd say the previous owner put the cheapest rubber they could find on - you might want to check the load rating on the tires to make sure they are load rated for a 5000b vehicle.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i have the original 19" with 275/45R19 kumho tyres plus a set of 18" rims with 255/60R18 general grabber AT2's.

the 19" kumho's have sharper steering and a firmer ride and the 18" Grabbers feel way more plush but less precise on the road.

check out the spreadsheet in this thread:- http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/maximum-tyre-sizes-t1-and-t2-45129.html

up to 265/60R18 have been fitted to a V10

There are plenty of second hand porsche and audi 18" wheels around which bolt straight on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts