Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
First let me just say how impressed I am with this forum. The knowledge and willingness to help is awesome. Heck, UBERv10 spent 30 minutes on the phone with me last night answering all kinds of Touareg questions, and he's never even met me (thanks, Chris).

Anyways, here's my dilemma, and any help or guidance from any of you kind folks would be greatly appreciated. I am very interested in getting a Touareg diesel--i'm just not sure which one. Initially, I was laser-focused on a v10...but then i read some reviews on the T2 V6, and it seemed very impressive! (I've never owned a diesel or a German car)
I love the diesel for the gas mileage and power, don't want a gasser. I've been watching all the car sites like a hawk waiting for one to pop up--but they always sell so fast, i've had a couple "taken" from me before i could get to them.
So here we go:
1) Is the T2 a better vehicle than the T1 (I've heard it has better refinement, reliability, navigation, and quieter)?
Is the T2 "de-contented" in any significant way?
2) I am looking for ALL options, and bluetooth and navigation and ipod integration are very important to me (yes, I'm a geek)...it'd be great if I could get 1 seamless integrated solution that includes bluetooth streaming of music from my ipod touch and phonebook integration from my cell and voice activation and satellite radio and aux input. It seems like the T1 doesn't have these options. I am willing to "upgrade" to an aftermarket option, but i'm confused as to which ones are the best ones...guidance is appreciated.
3) Do 18 or 19 inch wheels have a "harsher" ride than 17 inchers?
4) I really want a black exterior--it's the only color i actually like. is it dumb on my part to wait for the color i want?
5) How many miles on the odo is too many for me to consider it?
6) Does anyone know of someone in Northeast Ohio who can help me with VAG-COM? And does this void warranty?
7) If i can't find the Touareg of my dreams, should i begin looking for an Audi Q7?
I currently drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a lift kit, 127k miles, and it rides like a tank. I'm looking forward to the luxury and comfort and technical prowess of my Touareg!
THANK YOU ALL for any advice!

·
Registered
173 Posts
You want the T2 for the most up to date cabin electonics which is a bigger driver's display, bluetooth, satellite radio and touch screen NAV. I don't see too many 07 and 08 V10s course there probably still on 3 yr leases, so the the best bet would be the 09 TDIs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
7) The Touareg will be way better than your Jeep for ride quality. Any Touareg.

4) If you want black, then have it. Way too much cleaning for me, but they look stunning when clean.

3) The bigger the wheel the harsher the ride provided that the same rolling circumference is kept for overall gear ration. It stands to reason as the tyre absorbs a lot of impact.The larger the wheel, the less tyre there is and therefore the ride becomes more harsh. If you want to go off road then 17" generally offer a bigger selection of tyres.

2) We have different option deals than you do in the US. We don't have the same "package" option arrangement, so our stuff is different. We sure don't have satellite radio, and I'm not even sure if we have satellites. We live on a little Island, so don't really need navigation. If we get lost we get wet :)

1) T2 is better than T1 here, but not sure what options you have. It seems from this forum that stuff has been dropped in later models for you.

The V10 and the V6 diesels are different beasts, but both very competent. To me the V6 diesel is better balanced, but it is nowhere near as powerful as the V10. If the power is not important, then go for the V6: more economical, better handling. If power is important then go for the V10.

Diesels are different to petrol engines, and take a little adapting to, but for what I do I prefer diesel, and have been running diesel cars for 20 years.

Let us know what you choose.

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
1) Is the T2 a better vehicle than the T1 (I've heard it has better refinement, reliability, navigation, and quieter)?
Is the T2 "de-contented" in any significant way?

Well the newer the car the more refinements it will/should have and the more bugs they've found and removed (and added new ones) :cool: I have a 2008 V6 and wanted a V8 since diesels up here are just more of a pain and cost more to fill up. I recently got a 2008 since I wanted to work on two cars the same year with the same issues not deal with, for example the headlight assembly on a T1 which differs from the T2. Sicne you're a geek, I'll call it standardization.

2) I am looking for ALL options, and bluetooth and navigation and ipod integration are very important to me (yes, I'm a geek)...it'd be great if I could get 1 seamless integrated solution that includes bluetooth streaming of music from my ipod touch and phonebook integration from my cell and voice activation and satellite radio and aux input. It seems like the T1 doesn't have these options. I am willing to "upgrade" to an aftermarket option, but i'm confused as to which ones are the best ones...guidance is appreciated.

You can certinaly get all that. As far as Nav goes, I would go with a Garmin. It's cheaper, easier to upgrade but most of all when you go on a trip, the Garmin is in your pocket ready for the rent a car or whatever car you might be driving. Bleutooth etc. should be available.

3) Do 18 or 19 inch wheels have a "harsher" ride than 17 inchers?

Depends on your buttometer

4) I really want a black exterior--it's the only color i actually like. is it dumb on my part to wait for the color i want?

There's always a body shop to repaint. I personally do not like the color choices other than silver that VW provides. I'll be looking at other colors when my V8 arrives. HOWEVER, in my case, it took me some years to find the 08 I wanted. OK I didn't get the color, but that's minor as I can re-paint. I can't retrofit 4 corner air suspension. Be patient, and scour the net.

5) How many miles on the odo is too many for me to consider it?

On a diesel, it shouldn't matter as long as the CarFax shows it's been well maintained.

6) Does anyone know of someone in Northeast Ohio who can help me with VAG-COM? And does this void warranty?

I'm in northern Alaska so I can't help. But it does NOT void any warranty

7) If i can't find the Touareg of my dreams, should i begin looking for an Audi Q7?

As I said, patience. I'm still looking for a 71 Cuda 440 convertible in my price range. I'll be at it for a while. It don't mean I'll pick up an Edsel instead. HOWEVER, a 71 Ferrari Daytona convertible...now that might be worth a discussion :cool:

HTH
siberian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there.

Ive had a V10, and I simply love the Touareg, or Touarex as I like to call it :) So heres my advice to you.

1): As said above, T2 is better and more updated, plus I think it looks better to. I had a Kenwood dvd-navi in mine instead of the original but the updated navi looks pretty good.

2): Dont have a clue about those things, sorry :)

3): I had 22" summer and 18" winter on mine. No doubt that the 18s are more comfortable, but the 22" was lighter and it took corners way better. I also had the lowering box on.

4): I compromised with my color cause I couldnt wait. DONT do that. You will be way more happy with the color of your choice. If you dont, you will regret it every time you see a black one.

5): I allways like cars with under 100k on it (kilometers, not miles, Im from Europe) But it really depends on how its treated from its previous owners. Go try out some different ones and see how the engine is running. If it has low miles on it, chances are it only has taken short trips, so a car that has more miles on could still be in a better kondition.

7): I dont like the Q7, I think its ugly. And as with the color, dont comprimise. If you dont like the Q7 dont buy one, waste of money if you would rather drive a Touareg.

Hope I made a little sense, and Im from europe so my english isnt perfect. Hope it helped a little.

As for the engine if it matters. Looking back on it Id probably go for the V6 TDi instead of the V10. Give it a chip and it will be just as quick and it costs way less to have.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advice, guys, thanks for sharing.
Anyone else have any thoughts to contribute?
Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I only have one comment to make:

7) Even though the Touareg and Q7 are built on the same platform, there are four fundamental differences:
1. There's no V10 Q7. (There is a V12TDI, though. Not sure if it's available in the US and it's not exactly cheap. Over here, you're looking at the equivalent of US$185,000)
2. The Q7 does not have low range, which means it is no where near as capable off-road as the Touareg.
3. The Q7 has 7 seats, while the Touareg has only five.
4. The Q7 is butt ugly... :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got a 2010 Black Magic Metallis exterior with Latte Macchiatto/St Tropex Leather interior. Lux limited package--that got me 20" wheels. I also have the air suspension.

I've owned a Jeep Cherokee. I liked it, particularly off-road. But on the highway it felt a little like riding in a can of peanuts. You will love the Touareg ride. I don't find the 20" wheels to be harsh at all and this vehicle corners tight and smooth.

Black and the two-tone interior wasn't my preference. I like silver or white gold. But I wanted the air suspension and there weren't many out there. The black metallic does look great when it's clean.

NAV was not high on my list so I didn't hunt hard for one of the tech packages. I've got power seats, bluetooth, 12-way power driver and passenger seats, a nice, heated multifunction wheel and many other features. The SAT radio is okay and I've got several GPS units for my other vehicles and and my boat. I figure if I ever want to replace the radio in the touareg I'll consider one with NAV.

I've always had at least one diesel vehicle for the past 25 years and like them much more than gas. If you haven't driven one it's difficult to explain the feeling of constant power vs. the feeling of "accceleration" you get from a gaser. I have two jetta tdi's now and I actually enjoy driving them more than my boxter or 911. I guess that's an age thing. I can say the touareg is a quiet diesel. You don't hear it or feel it when you are inside, and barely hear it outside once it warms. Doesn't make a heck of a lot of noise at cold start. And, so far, no smoke or smell.

Almost forgot: I've been tempted by the V10 ever since they came to market. It's got that beast feel to it--sort of like my Dodge truck only faster and smoother. But for me it was worth waiting for the V6. I think it is easier to maintain, has excellent towing capacity and will do anything I want to do off-road.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
It's all about " horses for courses". In Australia, our national road network is crap compared to Euro and US networks. Our local car build and some imported vehicles are generally tougher to cope with the average roads over here. So, with tyres on a Treg here, you need to consider road surface and typical usage. I have 18" on mine and would not go wider as I hit the dirt in mine. Our roads also get a lot of 22 wheeler and B-Double trucks. So, lots of pot holes on the roads etc. You Yanks also get cheap fuel and have been used to it forever. Over here, we complain more about the hikes in fuel cost. Thus, the V6 TDI is a great all-rounder here for me. We probably pay double the price of new cars here also compared to US and Euro. So, a new V10 there is probably cheaper than a V6TDI here. Nice way to go, and that's what I'd do if I lived over there. Personally, any Touareg is a great vehicle. They are off-road capable if correctly fitted with decent tyres and driven with a competent driver. Our range of tyre choice here is total crap. I find it impossible to get a decent 19" A/T tyre. You guys are spoilt for choice and low price over there. Whatever Treg you end up buying, you'll be way better off with value than us poor Aussies. But we're used to it (getting screwed that is)! Treg or Q7? Treg - hands down! The Q7's a hairdresser's chariot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts