Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 TDI V6 has come up with a few errors on the dash.
Engine EGR light comes on as soon as it is started, The ESP light comes on after driving for about 5 min. and the Diesel Particulate light has also started to come on.
I took it to a mechanic and his diagnosis (via the receptionist) was that the alternator is faulty and there are voltage drops to 12V that are causing the problems!
I find this hard to understand and don't want to spend ~ $2,000 if it is not the problem. I am going to see him tomorrow and see if he can convince me he knows what he is talking about.

Has anyone got a VAG-COM Sth of R Perth that I could do some tests with?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If he alternator is dodg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Steve
I'm using GermanAutoService in Jandakot, heard mixed reports of them.
I've been doing my own regular servicing for the last 4 years. The only other electrical issue is that I replaced the battery earlier this year, but a + 7 years and + 250,000 km, I was happy with its life.
I've had the car since new in 2008, after issues with EGR and turbos (x2 of each) during warranty, it has been very reliable, now starting to get into normal ware and tare - tail shaft centre bearing, and now the power steering is going.
I'm going to see GAS today and make sure that it is not the VSR I put it to run the second battery from that is causing the voltage drops, get the codes it is throwing and probably give them the OK to change the alternator.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
I have heard good reports about GAS.

re: the tail shaft centre support bearing, there is a very good after market alternative. GAS should be aware of this, but if they aren't, hit me up for contact details etc.

Pity I am in South Geraldton, otherwise I'd do the scan for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Maurice and Andrew.
I'll keep you in mind if I need to run the scans.

I talked to GAS's sienor tech, he took on a test drive and the alternator did not show faults.
They have changed a EGR reculating pump and are in the process of getting the particulate filter de ashed/sooted as they could not force a regen. Hopefully this will be most of the problems.

I have been using my "garden hose" centre bearing for about 30,000 km now including 5,000 km towing, its holding up well. I've got a new bearing to go in when needed.

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your still in need of help, give me a call, 94561131, I have my own European Service Repair business and just happen to have a 3.2 Litre 2004 Treg myself. I can run VCDS on it for you while you wait, you can see the results for yourself.

Regards Trevor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey bfry,
Think my tail shaft centre bearing has just gone, did you use GAS to fix? If so are they any good & approx how much to repair?
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts