Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any towing after having EPA compliance performed? If so, anything to report? Towing is one of the most important duties for our Touareg. I am hoping to trade our '12 for a "fixed" '16.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't see there being much impact? There hasn't been any change to the tow rating of the vehicle. I have towed with both the V6 and V6 TDI pre-fix and the v6 works harder but both motors were capable. The torque of the tdi preferred.

What are you most interested in? Overall towing performance? Towing gas mileage? What are you towing with your '12?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just like in regular driving, you will consume more DEF (AdBlu). The other factor would be the lack of automatic engine braking. That is actually less important for me when towing than when not towing. When I am towing the automatic engine braking isn't enough to really help much, so I already do it manually when needed.

I will let you know more this spring after I have had the fix done and start my 3 season towing (no need for me to tow in winter).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just like in regular driving, you will consume more DEF (AdBlu). The other factor would be the lack of automatic engine braking. That is actually less important for me when towing than when not towing. When I am towing the automatic engine braking isn't enough to really help much, so I already do it manually when needed.

I will let you know more this spring after I have had the fix done and start my 3 season towing (no need for me to tow in winter).
Yeah it would be interesting to hear more. I turned my 2011 in already and am towing with F-150 for now but if I can get back into a fixed Touareg would be ideal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had the fix done yesterday on my 2013. The lack of engine braking blows chunks but nothing else bothers me.

I'll be towing ~5000lbs in a couple weeks and will report back.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Has anyone done any towing after having EPA compliance performed? If so, anything to report? Towing is one of the most important duties for our Touareg. I am hoping to trade our '12 for a "fixed" '16.

Thanks
Towed my center console boat back from FL in late April. No complaints, post fix.

Ad Blue usage is significantly increased, but power seems fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just towed 5700lbs for over 500 miles with my fixed 2016. It was a lot of stop and go driving over flat and hilly terrain. It pulled great uphill. No issues at all. Plenty of power and I averaged 18.7mpg over the trip.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've been towing my 7,000 lb boat and my, from 2,000 lbs empty, to 4,000 lbs full of stuff/snowmobiles, snowbikes/dirtbikes and housewares with both our 2016 Cayenne Diesel and 2015 Touareg TDI and have felt NO issues at all with how the truck drives both before and after the fix. I cannot tell one bit of difference other than my wallet/bank accounts being happy and heavy with all of the money VW/VAG/Porsche had thrown at us for their misdeeds.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do it!

Thanks
I did exactly that: traded a '12 TDI Lux for a '16 that had 20,000 miles on it. Our '12 had just turned 90,000. Towing seems even a little better mileage-wise and perhaps less effort with the '16. The "feel" is about the same; this is hard to objectively compare because, of course, the '16 is newer, younger, and I think has a few more HP. The transaction itself was a no-brainer. The trade saved maybe $2400 in sales tax, the car is younger, performs as well as did the '12 that I was very happy with whether towing or not, and I got money back in my pocket.

We tow a little Casita trailer maybe 3500# - neither Touareg even knew it was there, though mileage surely suffered. I did get maybe 20MPG a couple of weeks ago from CT to Cape Cod and back. Hard to accurately measure because of partial tanks both before and after the trip.

I am in process of replacing the OEM Pirelli Scorpions that at SO DAMN noisy. Did the same thing back in '12 also.

I had to do a nationwide search to locate what I wanted and found it in S Louis. I am in CT. Happy hunting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts