Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my new '16 T3 has just under 6k miles and I normally check the oil level about once a month. Up until now, it's always been at the max mark on the screen. Yesterday, I checked it and it was down Galway between max and add lines. Thinking that was odd, I let it sit overnight and it's pretty much stabilized to one notch above the halfway point. I know this "oil consumption" isn't a big deal at this point. A half of a quart in 6k miles isn't much.

However, I had a 2.0L Jetta TDI prior to this and it didn't use a drop of oil, even when new.

Is oil consumption of any kind normal for the 3.0L?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
969 Posts
For comparison, my '16 was down a tick at 4500 miles and when I checked again it was back to full on the Service screen.

You're using more than me, apparently, but it would appear to be within normal operating range. My 2013 rgistered lower than I liked between the 10 and 20K service mark but I suspected the dealer didn't quite top it up. Between 20 and 30 it used maybe 2 tick marks.

Make your dealer make a note of it. If something is amiss you'd want it documented, but i suspect they'd say it's normal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Pretty sure there is a section in the manual that covers new TDI oil consumption and what is normal. I'm at 15k miles on mine (a 2014 TDI) and the first 10k miles I did notice a bit of consumption (never enough to need to add any oil). So far in the 2nd 10k mile period, I've consumed about 1 tick on the meter reading. Pretty sure it's just break-in.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a section in there. But my 2.0L manual stated the same and didn't use anything. I'll keep watching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts