Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 TDI. 2 adults, 2 children 6 and 4 1/2 yo. At least 100 lbs of clothes and stuff in the back.

Ran for 2 1/2 days over 1,400 miles. An average of 70 mph gets 26 mpg. At 75 mph the average goes to 22 mpg and at 80 it gets down to just over 20 mpg. There were times that the average mph goes to 85 just because that is how 95 runs in north to mid-Florida-and it is awesome. I had some guys that I'd line up with that would carry 100 mph for miles and miles at a time and the mpg would drop down to 19 mpg or so.

The numbers above are over hundreds of miles done at all those speeds, mostly with Shell diesel.

I love the drivers who would run the lead and average over 85 mph as the speed limit on 95 south of VA is 70 mph. The Treg has no problem running at any speed and has been rock-steady. The A/C has been on the entire time and the temps have been at least 88 degrees F and have been 92-93 every day here in FL. Thankfully the A/C works well and now I know why guys want to have one button "Open all windows and roof" option coded into the system.

Diesel is cheap. The average price being $2.29 or so with a low of $2.15.

I put in about 16 gallons of Chevron B5 for the first time as well but I don't expect to notice any difference at all as the heat down here and the short trips driving around keep the mpg under 20 mpg.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
That is interesting results. Thanks for taking the time to share. :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am a bit surprised by those results. I would think they would be better. I did 1200 miles last week across South Dakota. 80 mph 29mpg on the way to rapid city and 30 on the way back to Minneapolis. No wind. Tuned motor and dpf delete.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I am a bit surprised by those results. I would think they would be better. I did 1200 miles last week across South Dakota. 80 mph 29mpg on the way to rapid city and 30 on the way back to Minneapolis. No wind. Tuned motor and dpf delete.
Ask OP about the beautiful mountain view. Large parts of that trip was not in the flat lands.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was no surprise to me to see the mpg decrease with every 5 mph increase. Speed costs money/mpg.

There are also just about no hills or grades from VA to FL, roughly 900 miles of flat, fast road. FL is just insane with how fast the drivers cruise on 95. Second and third places go to GA and SC respectively.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hmmm. Ran 75-80 for a trip up and back to Illinois a couple weeks back and averaged 28 mpg.

2015 tdi with 4 people and luggage plus AC running.

Does the 2012 have the 8 speed transmission?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Actually, come to think of it, in late March we picked up a wood burning stove in Vermont with a light trailer. Just over 1000 lbs on the hitch with a big square box in the wind and I still got better than 22 mpg at 75 mph coming back on I90.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've gotten 21.9 mpg when towing a car on a steel trailer (about 6000lb total) on a 5 hour trip. Stock, 2014 TDI. I was only going 65-70mph but still.

I have noticed my Treg is very sensitive to throttle input. If I keep an eye on fuel flow rate (via obd2 connected to my phone), I usually get 2-3 better mpg.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
I recently took the fam to a family reunion, from upstate NY to MN, 3 adults, 1 teen, back filled to bursting, 15 cf bag on the roof. ACC set to 75 the whole way, got 26 and change MPG. Wasn't sparing the whip. Added a rear hitch carrier and a couple hundred lbs on the way back, didn't seem to affect MPG. '16 TDI with the fix.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
On my fixed '14 (74k miles on clock), I did a round trip of aprox 2400mi last week, with two adults and rear seats\trunk packed with gear, coolers, tools, etc... a few hundred pounds for sure. According to the cluster, my average speed was 60mph for the trip (all the driving was done in 4 days, as we visited family for the week). The reported MPG was 31 on the LOM.... I had the cruise set to 71mph probably 90% of the time, if not 95%. Rolling on 20s (Scorpion Verdes) near 50psi). I'd guess that 70% of the trip was hills.... gorgeous scenary as we basically started near the middle of Lake Erie and drove all around and past Lake Huron and then Lake Superior all on the Canadian side. A/C running the whole time, and average outside temp ~75.

For those who are comparing deleted results to our stock units, you should know that a proper delete will yield 5mpg (or more) gains, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does not really matter, as mine is pretty accurate.

I asked , because mine is now pretty accurate :) (after display calculation adjustment).
Before mine Avg. consumption on display was showing about 9-10% higher.
31MPG vs hand calculated 26-27MPG.
Only driver, A/C ,flat road 75MPH with CC,75% highway 25% city 90 miles round trips every day to work.
'14 fixed 76k miles .

·
Registered
189 Posts
How many miles on a full tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not sure, as I haven't even gotten down to the low fuel light coming on yet, but when I was pretty low, miles driven, plus miles until empty equaled 780. But I know that even when it says you are completely empty, you still have about a gallon left. So a tankful running REALLY low would be over 800 miles.

Based on the 780 miles divided by (26.4-1) = 30.7 MPG.

I used to routinely go 50 miles past the low fuel light coming on in my '98 Jetta TDI.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
Aufgeblassen
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing