Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking around here for a while following and searching posts for information, I have enjoyed every minute! I have owned an 05' V8 and this week I just upgraded to a Sapphire blue lux Limited 2010 TDI.

I have done the paddle shifters, the air suspension vag mod and now I am looking for a chip. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options bred on this side of the pond, Revo is working on something, Upsolute (265hp/570NM), an Unitronic Chipped (265hp/495ftlbs).

I do have some experience with Unitronic as I am currently using their big injector/ big turbo software on my TT and have been very satisfied with the performance/ support.

I think I am going to pull the trigger this week on a flash with Unitronic, Unfortunately, I have to ship them the ECU because there are no dealers around. Before I go through with it, I figured I would make this post and get others thoughts on alternative solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Carl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just picked up a 04 V10 and am having similar thoughts, I've been checking out Upsolute UPsolute.com The Chiptuning Company | Home found a place in Chicago that will do it for $500. They read your ECU's, send the file to Austria, they inspect and modify the file for my specific car then sent it back and its reflashed into my car. :D He said most of the time it takes about 2 hours or so.
The Unitronic I was quoted $800 plus maybe a little extra for something, :confused: cant remember what he said, also another place in Chicago.
I then found this place, O.CT Tuning which has a dealer that is closer to my house, still waiting to hear back from him on the price. Click through the website to get to the specs. I think its the same concept as the Upsolute programming as there company/programmers are across the pond also. I will be making a decision as soon as I hear back from them.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've been in the market myself. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the Upsolute flash but the minute I started asking specifics about the numbers they were claiming, the local dealer quit answering my emails and then stopped answering emails completely. So, I took this as a bad sign.

I personally would never send my ECU anywhere nor would I do business with any company that does not have a local shop, or at least within driving distance, to support their product.

So, I am still waiting . . .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not sure the question, but most Unitronic files are flashable over the OBD cable. There are a few ECU's that would need to either be taken out and sent to headquarters to get done or some dealers can do those in-house. I can vouch after doing a few V10 files and driving one of them over a period of two weeks straight that the Unitronic tune is very good.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Just picked up a 04 V10 and am having similar thoughts, I've been checking out Upsolute UPsolute.com The Chiptuning Company | Home found a place in Chicago that will do it for $500. They read your ECU's, send the file to Austria, they inspect and modify the file for my specific car then sent it back and its reflashed into my car. :D He said most of the time it takes about 2 hours or so.
To open a EDC16 file with editing software such as Winols etc. and to tune all of the parameters that should be tuned cannot be completed within 2 hours and if it would be done within two hours then I would not dare let anybody flash it onto my ECU.

It is safe to say that if it can be tuned within 2 hours then it is not a proper custom tune. It is just another crooked job of copy and paste with one file for all.

I really would like if people would do more research into what they are getting and don't believe these stories of "sending your file to a super tuner in Germany or other European countries" it is only a sales talk myth that I have many years of experience listening to.

Fact is, the top tuners in Germany are not short of cash and they would not supply tuned files unless you were an authorized dealer for their company.

German / Austrian / Swedish / Dutch top tuners would not supply their own custom tuned files to any Tom Dick or Harry.

Aidan

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Not sure the question, but most Unitronic files are flashable over the OBD cable. There are a few ECU's that would need to either be taken out and sent to headquarters to get done or some dealers can do those in-house. I can vouch after doing a few V10 files and driving one of them over a period of two weeks straight that the Unitronic tune is very good.
EDC15 - EDC16 Touaregs can be flashed via the OBD port. For EDC17 (2010-2011) tricore locked ECUs you can no longer flash them via OBD port but need to remove the ECU, open it and complete a direct flash of the eprom chip on bench.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Removing the ECU would invalidate your VW warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was very ready to do the Unitronic flash, I had the ECU pulled and ready to send off, problem for me is that I live in Minnesota and my extra car is a summer only Audi TT with tires that suck in the cold. There are no dealers around me and the dealer in Colorado didn't have the bench top equipment then the dealer in Chicago wanted to charge an additional $170 for the flash :mad:. I just couldn't justify that cost plus the overnight shipping both ways. So for me, I will wait at least until the warmer weather is upon us.

I also called APR and they are evidently working on software for the v6 TDI and expect to have something to release by the summer 2011. This could get interesting!

·
Registered
839 Posts
All of this indecision is what I was talking about. Upsolute seems like a legit company but the minute I started asking specifics about how they arrived at their claimed numbers including their mpg improvements the dealer stopped answering my emails.

Since there is a dealer in Parker and we do spend a lot of time in Colorado - every chance we get :) - I may well give the the Unitronic dealer there a call next week and at least talk to them.

1) I MUST see how they arrived at their numbers.
2) They MUST have local or within driving distance support.
3) It CANNOT invalidate the warranty.

Unitronic's own website is frankly a little short answering any of this. When you click on the Dyno Results link, they actually want YOU to enter YOUR results for them??? :confused:

They may be perfectly legit but I need some questions answered. May know more after I talk to Hardeys in Parker.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Unitronic only has an engine dyno - they can't dyno every car that comes in. They just recently set up so that customer can attach their dyno numbers to help the community. It is very normal for the more uncommon vehicles to not have dyno sheets with them.

Honestly a lot of the tunes may be somewhat similar, and you guys are correct in that one of the most important things is having customer support and local help.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'm pretty certain it will invalidate the warranty if VW discover it.

Here in the UK, some folk think VW simply reset ECUs to factory spec at service if they suspect the car has been remapped and, let's face it, another 50 bhp is pretty obvious on a test run by a techie who drives the cars day in day out!

And from reading elsewhere, I understood that the latest ECUs are locked down to stop folk tweaking them.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts

Here in the UK, some folk think VW simply reset ECUs to factory spec at service if they suspect the car has been remapped and, let's face it, another 50 bhp is pretty obvious on a test run by a techie who drives the cars day in day out!

And from reading elsewhere, I understood that the latest ECUs are locked down to stop folk tweaking them.
The only thing you have to watch with flashing back to stock is the ECUs have a flash counter ie: they count how many times the ECUs have been flashed - you can see this count using your VCDS tool and the dealer certainly can see it using their mainframe VAG tool...if someone see a dozen flashes it'll be pretty obvious as to what's going on.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The only thing you have to watch with flashing back to stock is the ECUs have a flash counter ie: they count how many times the ECUs have been flashed - you can see this count using your VCDS tool and the dealer certainly can see it using their mainframe VAG tool...if someone see a dozen flashes it'll be pretty obvious as to what's going on.
Some are always ahead though, flash counters can be reset:D

·
Premium Member
520 Posts

The latest edc17 anti-tuning ecu can be flashed on bench but must be removed and opened.

On a side note, the main dealer will off course attempt to terminate the vehicles warranty if they find it had been remapped but in a court of law this cannot happen. Once the manufacture sells you the car, when you become owner then you can do what you want with it. You can fit bigger wheels if you want etc.

That is why last year they have taken a step further trying to disable tuners from flashing the ecu at all!

·
Registered
114 Posts
As for warranty in the US at least most states - the only way a "mod" of any type can void a warranty is if they can prove it directly caused a failure. That being said, once the dealer/vw rep get it in their head that they are going to not warranty repairs on your car because of any mods good luck getting them to still cover things unless you have deep pockets for a lawyer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of this indecision is what I was talking about. Upsolute seems like a legit company but the minute I started asking specifics about how they arrived at their claimed numbers including their mpg improvements the dealer stopped answering my emails.

Since there is a dealer in Parker and we do spend a lot of time in Colorado - every chance we get :) - I may well give the the Unitronic dealer there a call next week and at least talk to them.

1) I MUST see how they arrived at their numbers.
2) They MUST have local or within driving distance support.
3) It CANNOT invalidate the warranty.

Unitronic's own website is frankly a little short answering any of this. When you click on the Dyno Results link, they actually want YOU to enter YOUR results for them??? :confused:

They may be perfectly legit but I need some questions answered. May know more after I talk to Hardeys in Parker.
When I called Hardey's they said that they wouldn't get the bench top equipment in until May (I think). I have been very pleased with the work Unitronics has done on other software tunes, based on what they have done for me in the past, I have started to take their data at face value, they seem to be very diligent in their tuning.

I didn't ask too many questions about the specifics (i.e. Dyno graph) when I spoke to Unitronic but I did get the impression that they are doing some ongoing tuning work with the 3.0 TDI for a higher stage tune (maybe 1+ or 2?) so that could make things interesting.

I am afraid that the ECU tuning issue could cause warranty issues depending on the problem. I have dealt with many Audi and VW dealers and found that a lot of the Warranty voiding problems have to do with the particular tech and the philosophy of the dealer. I have had a dealer who wouldn't work on an audi because of the extensive modifications and then others who didn't care....

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have plans to do the Unitronic tune through a local dealer with before and after dyno pulls... will let you all know how it turns out. ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have plans to do the Unitronic tune through a local dealer with before and after dyno pulls... will let you all know how it turns out. ;)
Outstanding!

Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have plans to do the Unitronic V10 TDI flash in a few weeks. I will try to get on the dyno before and after, but that depends on if I have time. I was quoted the website price of $750 at Hardey's in my hometown of Parker, CO (what an amazing coincidence Unitronic has a dealer there) which is only about 15 min from where I live now.

Does anyone else here have the Unitronic tune with the V10?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
14 Participants
CustomSpooling
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing