Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find someone who can explain the numbers I am seeing on the VW projected buyback calculator for my vehicle. People at VW website can give me no explanation - not even sure they understand the question. So here we go :

2011 TDI
current mileage 57300
put in driving 250 miles a month (it is parked most of the time for fear of having an accident and totalling it.)
March 29, 2019 buyback $44005
April 1, 2019 buyback $44955
April 2 thru July 31 buyback remains at $44955

I would have assumed that there would be an up tick in the buyback price from April 2 thru July 31 because of only adding 250 miles a month - but it did not change on their calculator.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As an outsider looking in on the US buyback, those are astonishing prices - $45K for a Touareg heading towards its 8th birthday? WOW!!

Here, in Europe, VW owners have got zilch, nada, zero - not one single dollar, euro or pound has been paid out to owners for the environmental fraud VW has inflicted upon the world.

With an offer like that - and if you're worried about losing it if you wreck the car - then I wouldn't be questioning the number, just taking the cash!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wish they'd buy back my 2004 v10 tdi... every electrical thing you can think of is having troubles. And I'm sure it pollutes like a New Zealand cow in a corn field.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Flying Eagle, what exactly is your question? Do you want to sell your car back to VW? I did (2011 TDI Sport) and am very satisfied with every aspect of the process, including the financial aspect.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I believe it is because the calculated adjusted mileage is down to nearly zero, which is the best $$ adjustment possible. The mileage allowance is 1250/mo beginning from Sept 2015. The NADA adjustments are mileage dependent, but only down to "zero miles," so time no longer increases the value, even if not driven at all.

The mileage allowance takes the vehicle back to Sept 15 value. The 1250/mo allowance (times the number of months) is subtracted from the current mileage to adjust back to Sept 2015. That adjusted mileage is then used to look up the $ adjustment. In the case described the adjusted mileage is under 5000 miles, the lowest bracket in the NADA tables.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flying Eagle, what exactly is your question? Do you want to sell your car back to VW? I did (2011 TDI Sport) and am very satisfied with every aspect of the process, including the financial aspect.

Yes- I am going to sell the vehicle back. The question is why does the buyback figure not continue to rise with time and limited miles being put on the vehicle. It appears to plateau and stop rising from April 2 to July 31.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes- I am going to sell the vehicle back. The question is why does the buyback figure not continue to rise with time and limited miles being put on the vehicle. It appears to plateau and stop rising from April 2 to July 31.
Why would the dollars go up as the car is driven more and becomes older?

Not that VW will do much with this car, it might get scrapped or retrofit and sent to auction.

But the price is awesome, you could find yourself a pretty much new 2016 TDI for that amount if you want to get back into a TDI.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why would the dollars go up as the car is driven more and becomes older? ...
It's in the settlement and can be a consequence of how the value is calculated. Settlement value can go up or down depending on how many miles driven after Sept 2015. Water under the bridge for most of us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2012 Touareg TDI Sport with ~27K miles and VW currently will pay me $47,300.00 when it is scheduled to be returned the end of September. Looking at the KBB, it has a current value of $15K, so I would be crazy to not return it and take the $47K.

Now the question is, what to replace it with?

Since I like the vehicle, I would like to consider repurchasing it back from the dealer at a reasonable price. I would like to know if anyone has repurchased their returned vehicle.

What is the process of returning a vehicle back to VW? Do I get to pick the returning dealer? Can the dealer put the vehicle back in their inventory or does it have to go back to some VW depot?

I tried searching on this forum but did not find anyone who returned a TDI and then repurchased it back.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 2012 Touareg TDI Sport with ~27K miles and VW currently will pay me $47,300.00 when it is scheduled to be returned the end of September. Looking at the KBB, it has a current value of $15K, so I would be crazy to not return it and take the $47K.

Now the question is, what to replace it with?

Since I like the vehicle, I would like to consider repurchasing it back from the dealer at a reasonable price. I would like to know if anyone has repurchased their returned vehicle.

What is the process of returning a vehicle back to VW? Do I get to pick the returning dealer? Can the dealer put the vehicle back in their inventory or does it have to go back to some VW depot?

I tried searching on this forum but did not find anyone who returned a TDI and then repurchased it back.

I sold my TDI back to VW. The process is easy. Follow all of the instructions on the website, and in letters you will have received in the mail from VW. I documented my buyback process on this site. Smooth, efficient and nothing unexpected.

You choose the dealer to return the vehicle to.

The dealer immediately upon collection of the vehicle from you, places a "DO NOT SELL" decal on the driver's window. What they do with the vehicle after that point, I do not know.

Ask the dealer all of the questions you can think of, prior to the buyback process. Also use the VW online help that is provided on the buyback website. It all works quite smoothly. Dealers are all experienced in this process.

I chose to buy a Mercedes-Benz GLE350 after the buyback. Have a look at that vehicle, in a one or two year old version. Prices for a 2017-2018 GLE350 4MATIC with 10,000 miles or less are in the same range as your buyback price.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Praise the Lord and VW to get bailed out of your $15,000 car for 44,000 bucks . WOW What a deal. I traded my 2012 TDI in and picked up a new 2016 TDI for $1500. Best car deal of my Life. You have a once in a lifetime option,better hope they don't pull the plug on the buy back. Move on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts