Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems on faster pumps (of gas) the tank will shut off early and often not want to be filled. Gas sounds can be heard venting where the filler meets the opening.

What is the venting failure trend I'm having and how to correct?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe the USA regulations don't allow this but I would have thought that during filling the tank would vent through the filler?

Does this occur on a variety of filling stations, maybe they have a very sensitive nozzle?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Older Audi I once owned had a charcoal evap canister that could get gummed up...just a guess the Touareg is outfitted similarly?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe the USA regulations don't allow this but I would have thought that during filling the tank would vent through the filler?

Does this occur on a variety of filling stations, maybe they have a very sensitive nozzle?
20 cars in 8 years and never an issue like this. Not sure if Americans are different then Europe.

It can happen at one station and not another. I have to slow down gas flow considerably and pull out the nozzle a bit to allow the gas to escape. You can really hear it rush out sometimes after it shuts itself off.

I'm learning the technique but a few times I thought it was full and pulled away only to look at the gauge and see it 3/4 full.

I guess I was just hoping everyone would say the angle of the filler is the blame and live with it!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Some bowsers over here are "Hi-Flow" type which can cause problems.

Is your Treg gas or Diesel?

We had a Holden Astra (Opel made in Europe) which was very hard to fill with Gas.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Question, when you fill up and the pump clicks do you force a few more clicks to top off the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an similar issue with my old beemer 7-series, when filling at some stations i had to hold the fillerhandle upside down don´t ask me why but it worked for me...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is OP alive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk[/
Is OP alive?

Yea but I don't get half the notifications icshould from responses. Also as I look at this post on my iPad there is a large add that will not go away and is blocking view. Please excuse typos.

I have forced more gas on occasion. As stated you can def hear the pressure blowing past the hand pump nozzle. I just expected a vent to handle this need.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When you force gas you are filling your charcoal canister, liquid fuel never leaves the canister, I assume it has reached critical mass and won't allow enough air to escape the tank by being plugged. Take your charcoal canister out (behind the right rear wheel liner) and see house much it weighs, I should be relatively light because it's full of powdered charcoal, if it feels like it's full of wet sand then replace it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You learn something new every day!

·
Registered
264 Posts
What you describe is my exact same filling scenario. Always have to pause pumping when almost full to vent through the filler neck before I can fill the tank completely.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What you describe is my exact same filling scenario. Always have to pause pumping when almost full to vent through the filler neck before I can fill the tank completely.

If so then there is a design going on here that is not very flexible to the many many other cars I've owned. it will be spring before I have time to pull the canister to check but I have to wonder what is the design different. We all give an extra click or two when the gas shuts off to determine if it's really full or not...I cannot imagine that simply need would fill a canister up, no?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spie,

I'd love to see someone who has experience with what you claim...and posts to back it up? The one your reference doesn't mention anything about over filling the tank and filling up the canister but instead failed valve that vents fumes not to the canister but into the intake...seems to be two different issues.

Has anyone here really had their canister (in their egg) fill up? At the moment this seems a bit antidotal and when I pull the canister and it's not full of gas I'm going to then ask...so now what?!?!

·
Registered
264 Posts
That car had a mere 5000 miles. No way the canister is oversaturated in that short amount of time.

Can't imagine that failure is due to simply overfilling your gas tank.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That car had a mere 5000 miles. No way the canister is oversaturated in that short amount of time.

Can't imagine that failure is due to simply overfilling your gas tank.
Agreed. Plus it must be a pretty bad design and thus a systemic problem if just giving your gas hose a few blips to confirm it's topped off would cause such and issue. I think this popping manifolds would be documented as well as the oil pump bolts falling out on the early 3.6L!

Not saying this cannot be it but I would love to read from those with experience.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Agreed. Plus it must be a pretty bad design and thus a systemic problem if just giving your gas hose a few blips to confirm it's topped off would cause such and issue. I think this popping manifolds would be documented as well as the oil pump bolts falling out on the early 3.6L!

Not saying this cannot be it but I would love to read from those with experience.
No fuel tank is meant to take more fuel than its designed to... when the nozzle clicks off with a normally operating fuel vent system your tank is full to the maximum amount, when you click the nozzle a few more times you are pushing fuel out of the tank and into the vent lines which goes directly to the charcoal canister. Is it really worth it for like 1/64 a gallon of fuel for the potential to replace your charcoal canister which is at least $300? I.m.o. NO.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Not saying I know this caused this or that about overfilling, just pointing out what I read and stating I don't over fill because of this "superstition" or possibility...I just don't want to have to find out the the hard way. As for 5k I agree it is unlikely...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry but I have to argue this...I see what your claiming but I think you are being a bit over the top. Every gas station is a bit different on the sensitivity of the trigger to shut off the filling...we've all experienced it. By your theory if it were to ever shut off prematurely you would never check with an extra squeeze...you'd get in your car and leave before noticing.

Nobody (including me) is attempting to overfill the vehicle like the Tdi hyper-milers. Your claim is a nice theory but I've owned my share of cars and have been "blipping" fillings from time to time my whole life. I think we'd seen this problem more often as everyone does it (except you?). So if it's truly an issue with the egg then it has a unique design that a blip or two of the fuel sender would cause the canister to fill...let along the other claiming intake explosion!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts