Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, basically I am a new member though i have had my 05 Touareg for 6 months now.Very pleased so far ,found it pretty capable offroad and very comfortable for the family.
Recently the tailgate has stopped fully opening and i looked at this forum for guidance and noticed that some Touaregs seem to have a rear window which opens.I have found the small rubber coated button behind the rear windscreen wiper motor but it does not seem to be working.Is the opening rear window an option on the UK spec 05 tdi?
If the rear window does not open on this model does thatmake replacing the struts for the rear tailgate easier as there will not be strutts for the window present

hope this makes sense:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Steve,
It should work from the button you found, but double check the "comfort" settings in the dashboard system.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sometimes the main tailgate on mine won't open if the glass hasn't been closed fully, (or vice versa, I can't remember)
What do you mean by "stopped fully opening"? Does it only open part-way?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hello everyone, basically I am a new member though i have had my 05 Touareg for 6 months now.Very pleased so far ,found it pretty capable offroad and very comfortable for the family.
Recently the tailgate has stopped fully opening and i looked at this forum for guidance and noticed that some Touaregs seem to have a rear window which opens.I have found the small rubber coated button behind the rear windscreen wiper motor but it does not seem to be working.Is the opening rear window an option on the UK spec 05 tdi?
If the rear window does not open on this model does thatmake replacing the struts for the rear tailgate easier as there will not be strutts for the window present

hope this makes sense:D
All T1 and T2 tailgate glass windows open.

Sometimes it is the micro-switch that fails but not always.

Providing you can get the rear wiper off, it is a DIY job to replace the whole "triangular" black unit on the rear glass that the wiper arm passes through.

Some people will tell you that you can solder in a new switch for a lot less and that's fine if you know what you are doing.

I don't so I spent a few quid getting the right part.

But then I couldn't get the wiper arm off and ended up having to saw it off so I needed a new wiper shaft and wiper arm!!

However, what I did do before I took it all apart was to connect the two wires going in and out of the old micro-switch to ensure the glass would open as one or two people have found that the problem lies in the wiring breaking up by the hinges in the tailgate.

I'll see if I can find a couple of relevant links for you.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TALGATE WINDOW

Thanks for the replies-very helpful.

checked the comfort settings-i can see nothing about the tailgate window-there is a locking option for the tailgate itself but not for the window.
The tailgate opens halfway but not fully-i can lift itup to fully open but it simply drops down to halfway when i let go.

is the cost of new struts just for the strutts or does that include fitting?

thanks again;)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
£450 fitted inc VAT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All T1 and T2 tailgate glass windows open.

Sometimes it is the micro-switch that fails but not always.

Providing you can get the rear wiper off, it is a DIY job to replace the whole "triangular" black unit on the rear glass that the wiper arm passes through.

Some people will tell you that you can solder in a new switch for a lot less and that's fine if you know what you are doing.

I don't so I spent a few quid getting the right part.

But then I couldn't get the wiper arm off and ended up having to saw it off so I needed a new wiper shaft and wiper arm!!

However, what I did do before I took it all apart was to connect the two wires going in and out of the old micro-switch to ensure the glass would open as one or two people have found that the problem lies in the wiring breaking up by the hinges in the tailgate.

I'll see if I can find a couple of relevant links for you.
Hi, I'm a newbie here. How do you open the glass on a T2 Touareg?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Under the back hatch wiper is a button

·
Registered
665 Posts
IMG_1946.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike in Anchorage

·
Registered
665 Posts
No problem, not sure but I don’t think the glass hatch opens on the 7P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
933 Posts
There are five "T"s:

Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

The opening glass in the tailgate was only on the Generation 1 cars - the T1 and the T2.

Every model since then has been de-contented.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts