Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent lots of time researching. Couldn't find much for those with T3s. But here's 265/60/18 Goodyear Duratracs mounted on a Sport (static suspension). So I'll leave this here for future researchers.

No rubbing. Slightly louder. I've had these on another vehicle and loved them. Tire guys all dug it.

265/60/18 Goodyear Duratracs

·
Learner
5,266 Posts
Look good! Any experience offroad?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha. I only have 3miles on them. So, nope.

I pheasant hunt, so end up in a lot of deep snow, mud, etc. Which wouldn't have paired well with the OEM tire set up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey thanks for posting about these tires. I'm new here and I've been looking for a good set for mud and snow. How do they handle on the pavement? Are there any issues with them being oversized when it comes to the speedometer, braking, or other sensors? Thanks!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Use the Search function on here - there are lots of threads on oversize tires.

A bigger tire corrects the speedo as they over-read actual speed on standard VW wheel/tire combinations by up to 5%.

Heavier tires may affect acceleration very marginally due to the inertia required to launch them.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have Duratracs. Previously had Silent Armors in 265/60R18. Wished to go back to the original 19's so fitted 255/55R19 Duratracs. These are 1"dia larger than the original 275/45R19's. (The 265/60R18's were 2" dia larger). Bigger aint necessarily better!
I find the 1" larger good. Anyway... have just done approx 5000klms since fitting - including around 900 klms on gibbers and bulldust with no issues. Towing 3200kg by the way. A little noisier but good considering the tread pattern. Recommended. Dub

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for posting about these tires. I'm new here and I've been looking for a good set for mud and snow. How do they handle on the pavement? Are there any issues with them being oversized when it comes to the speedometer, braking, or other sensors? Thanks!
Pavement handling: I'd had these on a previous vehicle and was quite surprised with them. So opted for trying them on the T3. I've been very happy. Everyone is quite surprised at how quiet they are. They are just a shade louder than the OEM tires.

As mentioned, they are heavier, so the rotational unsprung mass does effect acceleration, etc. But it's not enough to offset the other benefits I've received from it. I'll get fuel later this week and figure out if it's effected my MPG, I suspect it will.

With regards to the speedo, these tires even out the OEM speedo error. (as the other guy mentioned) No other sensor issues.

Off Road'ish: Sure the tires work in downtown Minneapolis, but this weekend I went out to the field and was quite happy with the success of the the vehicle and tires. I was in wet steep incline farm ditches and had no problem at all crawling out of them. I hadn't tried this with the OEM tires, so I can't compare.

Realistically, if I could have found a more aggressive tire in the OEM size, I would have stuck with that. But I just couldn't find anything. All in all, I'm quite happy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks good. I'm on the fence between the Duratracs and the BFG TA KO2.

How have the Duratracs handled limited snowfall we've received this year?
MPG reduction?

Lastly, tire shop in the metro willing to fit the treads to your vehicle?

Regards.

Yamajet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good. I'm on the fence between the Duratracs and the BFG TA KO2.

How have the Duratracs handled limited snowfall we've received this year?
MPG reduction?

Lastly, tire shop in the metro willing to fit the treads to your vehicle?

Regards.

Yamajet
I went to discount tire on 101 and highway 7. But any shop should be fairly willing, just tell them you've done all your research.

With regards to snow, they've worked out vey well. Not as good as a true snow/ice tire, but better than a standard all season. Where they have excelled is deeper snow off-road. The past week I've been out in some thick stuff while pheasant hunting and had not a single issue. I was way happy with the performance.

MPGs, I've tracked since day one. I'm in a V6 gasser and I return 18mpg avg every tank. Which is close to what I was getting pre tire swap. And about equal to window sticker. We are also on winter fuel, so that drops it a bit as well.

All in all, been very happy.

Aside, YamaJet, guessing from the name you've got a Yamaha? We have an SX230 in Minnetonka.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I have a couple motorcycles and a couple snowmachines- all Yamaha. I also fly for a living.
The sx230 is a nice boat, and being brand loyal, thought I might get one someday.
In fact, I also have to VWs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had two pairs of Duratracks on my Jeep. It still scares me when I think about that. Wet pavement was terrible for these, went straight ahead in roundabouts.

They look cool, but they was useless until I got the local truck supplier to stud them. They are pre drilled for studs, and with proper truck studs they was a blast. But I would never put the 2.5 tonnes Treg on those tires and expect to survive an emergency braking on wet pavement. I do still think about buying a set for off-roading.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, sitting at about nine months of use.

Still extremely happy with these tires. Worked well in snow. Worked well going through back roads. Worked fantastic in mud and snowy farm fields.

My only gripe would be that I went from a fairly easy 19.5+ MPG per tank to 18 MPG per tank.

Again, if they had a more aggressive tire in the OEM size, I would have just stuck with that. But these are working well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts