Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I baught a used 2012 VR6 Execline and I am thinking of making a review/journal of my ownership. I have been reading on the forums a lot lately and I am having a hard time finding information on T3 (honestly there should be a T3 section) I will try to post everthing I diagnose on the car and the solution I came up with so it may help someone later.

So to start up I put a 40 000 miles Tiguan Highline R-Line 2013 in immaculate condition in exchange for my (Not so perfect) 65 000 miles 2012 Execline Touareg + little cash. The touareg is really what I wanted in a truck from the start, the Tiguan has always been a ''compromise''. I could of baught a TDI but I did not want to have any payments mostly when buying a Touareg without warranty and for the price difference in value between TDI and VR6 here in Canada it would probably take 10 years to pay the difference in fuel cost...

So here we are:

Execline
Auto-Hold
NO Backup Camera
RNS 850 Updated to K0711
Fresh OEM ILZKR7A Spark Plugs

Future Plans:

Tweaks
- Code window control with fob
- Turn off seat belt chime
- Turn off NAV acceptance
- Enable power trunk when Trailer is connected
- Enable Gear Display

Upgrades
- CAR NAVI Backup Camera Kit
- Wrap all the wood (console is full of scratchs) In 3M Brushed Titanium or Matt Charcoal Metallic
- Unitronic Tune (Later)

Maintenance
- Full transmission Flush with filter, pan drop, gasket etc.
- T-Case + front and rear diff Fluid change
- Power steering fluid flush
- Brake Fluid flush (if needed)
- Anything that as wear we find out, diff or engine mount etc.

My plan is to make my Touareg worry Free for a lot of miles and If I decide to keep it a while maybe put a tune in it. If I decide to change it I will probably try to get a good deal on a used 2013-2014 TDI Execline just for the better fuel mileage, I do mostly 80% city 20% highway driving. Hybrid would be great but unfortunatly we don't have them in Canada.

Stay tuned for updates ! Any suggestions, comments or questions will be greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Teaser Pics

Brushed Titanium

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who'd you order the wrap from?
Local shop around here who do a lot of car wraps for companys for advertising, I will bring him the parts and he will wrap them for me, he says it takes him like 1-1h30 hour to do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the lift for transmission fluid change BUT

I am freaking MAD at them, I specialy asked to swap ALL the 12L and they just dropped the pan, changed the filter and changed only 7L.....

Only explained it to me after the job was done... it does shift more smoothly through.

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
How is the fuel economy on the 3.6? I heard its comparable to the 4.2. Any merit there?
As a previous T2 3.6 owner, the mileage isn't really any different between the FSI V6 and FSI V8. Maybe 1 MPG better in the V6. But they both suck.

That said the original post is about T3 (2011 and newer) FSI V6 - the V8 was gone from the lineup by then.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ameoba, thank you for the clarification, I was not trying to hijack the thread, I am also considering a T3...Yes I am aware that the 4.2 was done after 2009.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How is the fuel economy on the 3.6? I heard its comparable to the 4.2. Any merit there?
Funny you ask I just came back from the fuel station, did 16mpg with around 85% city 15% highway.

Its not that bad considering I live in a city with A LOT of hills. TDI's sell for around 8k more than what I paid for mine around here so I figure if I keep my touareg 2-3 years, I'll never get around to see that money back with the fuel consumption...

And I get a 250lbs less heavy car without all the adblue stuff that can break out of warranty and stuff. The VR6 is a pretty reliable motor. I am pretty happy with my purchase for now, I am still looking at 3.0T audi Q5's, we will see...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Keep up with your reviews and experiences PL69. I just picked up a 2011 VR6 FSI today from Mitchell VW in CT and drove it home 180 miles. Nice truck and it should serve the purpose well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Test drove a 2013 TDI Execline with around 58 000km today. Even if they both are the same truck they are very different. There is absolutly no denying the torque of the diesel is a pleasure on the road and the exhaust is quieter too.

I did feel a difference in the driving dynamics, you really do feel the 200+lbs difference, mostly at the front wich has a tendency to dive a bit more in the corners.

Overall I am a bit perplex, I feel like the Touareg is at whole other level with the Diesel, the mpg is insane and its close to the ride quality of a ML. Am I ready to drop 10 000$ more for it, not sure at least for now, I feel like I have a heck of a good vehicule with my VR6 even though it eats up more gas. On top I don't have to worry with adblue stuff or complex repairs. I do a lot of stop start and short distance trips all day long and not sure if good for all the diesel anti-polutions systems and stuff too.

I'll continue my reflexion but one thing I know for sure once you own a Touareg it sure is be pretty dang hard to go for something else..

·
Registered
786 Posts
Drive an X5 with the twin turbos for a gasser? The CPOS have warrantees to 100k
That XDrive50i is a monster for sure. I've got a buddy with the X6 version. It's a saner version of the crazy-ass (and super lusty) X5M.

Back on topic, I do miss the sound of the FSI V6 and winding it out sometimes. BUT.... the torque of the TDI makes you forget all about it. Plus - my wife has the FSI V6 in her CC (1500 lbs lighter that the Touareg or so), so I can feed my need for the motor on occasion. In a different way, I love the quite rumble of the TDI above 3k rpm. Makes me think of the sound the Audi R10 made (LMP car).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well my friends, this will have been a short journey, I just negotiated a deal on a 2014 Q5 TDI with 50 000km. Going to pick it up tomorrow, have to admit the Touareg was a little too much vehicle for my needs, wich I realised after buying and driving it Doh !

I know I will be downgrading on a some stuff because my Q5 is not the most equiped, I'm losing Nav, audio streaming, voice (all thing I very rarely used so..) I am upgrading the most important, the engine ! What a pleasure to drive and in the Q5 chassis it's incredible really snaps you in the seat.

I really like this forum so I will probably stick around :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts