Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed the oil in my '12 V6 for the first time since I've owned it. Removing the filter was a PITA! I removed the housing drain plug to drain the filter, amd next time I'll look for a long skinny funnel to put under it as letting it drain into the pan created a mess when several streams of oil were running down the control arm and axle.

The real issue was in removing the housing+filter ass'y. I saw no way to get it through the gap between control arm and oil pan without reaching my hand around the other side of the control arm to separate the filter from the housing to turn the housing on its side (and pour out the remainder of the oil). Am I missing something?

By comparison my '04 VR6 R32 is a breeze, the filter is right in the front w/o obstruction...granted the engine is also transverse rather than longitudinal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the same thought when i did my first oil change on the V6. What i do now is use either a skinny funnel or newspaper to create a funnel. Drain the housing then remove housing. Turn the housing with filter upside down. Pull filter out then maneuver housing out.

Reverse when installing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long Runner - Good info, I'll keep that in mind for next time. Glad to know I wasn't missing something obvious (other than the right tool).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts