Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found heaps of threads discussing lowering, stiffening, and generally increasing the onroad performance of the steel-spring T3s, but as yet have not been able to find any information about upgrading the suspension for offroading. I do very little true offroading, but live on a dirt road which gets very, very muddy, rutty, and washboardy in the spring, and often drive the narrow and rocky forest tracks which can get quite bumpy. The pavement in VT is not much better!

The stock suspension on my '13 TDI feels great on the road, but gets overwhelmed really quickly on dirt. The rear end hops around to the extent that I thought I had blown the struts and lost all damping, but I couldn't find any signs of anything being wrong with the suspension. Ideally, I'd like to keep the stock ride height (or lift a smidge), but get a little extra plushness over those fast bumps. I'm not talking trophy-truck levels of absorption, but I'd like to not feel like I'm rattling the car to pieces when I drive home from work. I don't drive like crazy on the street, so additional body roll and sag isn't really an issue.

I've seen the Bilstein B6 upgrade is available for the Touareg and Cayenne, but they seem to be more sport-focused. These say they'll fit, but I don't see anything on the official Fox website about a Touareg/Cayenne fitment, so I doubt it:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/Fox-2-0-Performance-Series-Reservoir-Shocking-Deal-FOXPERFORMANCERES.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=S/DFOXPERFORMANCERES&gp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplpS/DFOXPERFORMANCERES238704&sc_intid=S/DFOXPERFORMANCERES238704&gclid=CjwKCAiA_c7UBRAjEiwApCZi8TlS5NIbh3xRnwkvvBJhN2ospj8LjCntiIpnFSRoNtzMfyxOXXr8GxoCOU0QAvD_BwE

Any other options I may not have thought of? Maybe I just need to drop the 3.0 diesel into a Ford Raptor... :grin2:

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
My Touareg was off road every day and rode far better on the rough stuff with half a ton of whatever in the back!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've found heaps of threads discussing lowering, stiffening, and generally increasing the onroad performance of the steel-spring T3s, but as yet have not been able to find any information about upgrading the suspension for offroading. I do very little true offroading, but live on a dirt road which gets very, very muddy, rutty, and washboardy in the spring, and often drive the narrow and rocky forest tracks which can get quite bumpy. The pavement in VT is not much better!

The stock suspension on my '13 TDI feels great on the road, but gets overwhelmed really quickly on dirt. The rear end hops around to the extent that I thought I had blown the struts and lost all damping, but I couldn't find any signs of anything being wrong with the suspension. Ideally, I'd like to keep the stock ride height (or lift a smidge), but get a little extra plushness over those fast bumps. I'm not talking trophy-truck levels of absorption, but I'd like to not feel like I'm rattling the car to pieces when I drive home from work. I don't drive like crazy on the street, so additional body roll and sag isn't really an issue.

I've seen the Bilstein B6 upgrade is available for the Touareg and Cayenne, but they seem to be more sport-focused. These say they'll fit, but I don't see anything on the official Fox website about a Touareg/Cayenne fitment, so I doubt it:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/Fox-2-0-Performance-Series-Reservoir-Shocking-Deal-FOXPERFORMANCERES.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=S/DFOXPERFORMANCERES&gp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplpS/DFOXPERFORMANCERES238704&sc_intid=S/DFOXPERFORMANCERES238704&gclid=CjwKCAiA_c7UBRAjEiwApCZi8TlS5NIbh3xRnwkvvBJhN2ospj8LjCntiIpnFSRoNtzMfyxOXXr8GxoCOU0QAvD_BwE

Any other options I may not have thought of? Maybe I just need to drop the 3.0 diesel into a Ford Raptor... :grin2:
The only Ford Raptor I drove handled very poorly on a rough dirt road. Bounced around a lot. :p

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Lower the tyre pressures a bit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Touareg was off road every day and rode far better on the rough stuff with half a ton of whatever in the back!
I noticed that too, driving 3 other adults around in the back. Definitely smoothed out the ride significantly. I think the roads around here have just gotten worse lately, which is why I'm noticing such a change.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Leave it alone. What size wheels do you have? 19-20"? If so, find some 17's and run something like a 245/70/17 and you will be fine. Drop the PSI in current tires by 2-4 psi. No need to spend money on a suspension as the touareg suspension is really solid. I have no need for it in my 2010 TDI and I actually off-road more. ;) I have two set's of wheels, off-road and out to dinner wheels. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leave it alone. What size wheels do you have? 19-20"? If so, find some 17's and run something like a 245/70/17 and you will be fine. Drop the PSI in current tires by 2-4 psi. No need to spend money on a suspension as the touareg suspension is really solid. I have no need for it in my 2010 TDI and I actually off-road more. ;) I have two set's of wheels, off-road and out to dinner wheels. ;)
Stock was 19', but I'm currently running 17" wheels with 255/65/R17 Hakka R2 SUVs for winter. Taller sidewall helped over stock for sure. I'm currently at 33/39 F/R pressures, I was running ~36 in back and actually found a few MORE psi felt better (granted, that's totally subjective; could have just been the roads thawed out!).

I'm happy enough with it for now, hopefully when the roads are in better condition this summer it won't feel as shaky!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Stock was 19', but I'm currently running 17" wheels with 255/65/R17 Hakka R2 SUVs for winter. Taller sidewall helped over stock for sure. I'm currently at 33/39 F/R pressures, I was running ~36 in back and actually found a few MORE psi felt better (granted, that's totally subjective; could have just been the roads thawed out!).

I'm happy enough with it for now, hopefully when the roads are in better condition this summer it won't feel as shaky!
No, I get the lower PSI may feel too soft. Mine are at 38psi and feel flat. I have to run 44psi at least. I have LT tires though. I never felt what you are experiencing with mine but I have a 10'. I am running the LT245/70/17 in a cooper AT3 tire. I'd also suggest just going with a AT tire like cooper, or General X3. I live in Snow country (Flagstaff AZ) and have never needed snow tires. The Coopers are great and very comfortable over anything.

May just come down to tires too. Go simple (less expensive) first to see what can improve it. ;)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Don't get me wrong a dedicated snow tire is awesome but from what I read the Nokian's are noisy which tells me that that may be your issue that you are experiencing.

Are they studded?

If you need snow tires maybe try Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 next time. or Nokian Nordman 7 SUV or Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV

Michelin LTX Winter is a great one.

Although winter tires have a softer compound that may not directly relate to comfort.

Or their AT tire which is rated for winter:

Rotiiva AT Plus:

An All Season tire that offers durable performance without compromise in terms of safety and driving comfort and the Severe Service Emblem for use in winter weather.

Hope that helps. I really think your tire is the problem not the suspension. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The R2s I have are not studded, and actually don't seem any noisier at speed than the Dueler's that came on the stock wheels. They are bombproof in deep snow though, which is essential around here in the winter. I had looked at the Rotiivas and some other AT options but reviews said the R2s were the best non-studded SUV snow tires for the price. I'm still experimenting with tire pressures, hopefully that does make a difference. I don't anticipate having to replace the stock struts any time soon, but nice to know what the options are if it comes to that. My previous car was a Subaru Forester, where replacing bushings, bearings, shocks, etc. etc. is practically a seasonal way of life, so my gut reaction is still to assume something is broken!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The R2s I have are not studded, and actually don't seem any noisier at speed than the Dueler's that came on the stock wheels. They are bombproof in deep snow though, which is essential around here in the winter. I had looked at the Rotiivas and some other AT options but reviews said the R2s were the best non-studded SUV snow tires for the price. I'm still experimenting with tire pressures, hopefully that does make a difference. I don't anticipate having to replace the stock struts any time soon, but nice to know what the options are if it comes to that. My previous car was a Subaru Forester, where replacing bushings, bearings, shocks, etc. etc. is practically a seasonal way of life, so my gut reaction is still to assume something is broken!
Ok. I just read about tires being noisy but then again those are reviews and most of the time I do not judge a product by peoples reviews. May want to have a look at things on front end but this is a pretty stout truck. Maybe sway bar bushing/links are worn, loose or broken but I cannot imagine control arms shocks or anything else unless the car has high mileage and was beat up.

Keep playing with pressures and check out front end.

I

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2013 T3 is on 18inch wheels. This is the limit for size I am pretty sure. I have wet roads, very very rare snow/ice here in Texas. Off roading is seldom, but is something that I do here. Nothing major.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts