Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought that I would start my own thread on this subject.

My thoughts are to work with a bunch of member on here who can piece together my crazy hair brained scheme to upgrade our current GTB turbos into the newer GTD turbos.

I need to do some more digging but I believe that the factory GTB2056 turbo found on the north american Touareg's should be able to be upgraded to a GTD style turbo.

I have a source for the GTD VNT assembly, but honestly think it better for anyone interested to buy a used GTD turbo. The reason being that way you have the factory turbine and compressor wheels to go along with the VNT assembly.
Yes i'm sure we could find a source for chinese turbines, but i'm all about doing something the right way, and one time.

The GTD2060 converted GTB2056 should be good for roughly 350 crank HP with the emissions stuff in place, and there is also the GTD2263 which can use the GTB2260 as a base turbo.

It looks like since we have to keep the most of the factory turbo intact and just swapping over the GTD VNT assembly, turbine, and compressor wheels and the possibility of using parts from a used GTD I am going to recomend that anyone wanting to do this also uses a rebuild kit with all new parts for the bearings, seals, etc...
There is a place within 2 hours from me that can balance the rotating assembly up to 400,000 RPM :grin2:

I'm just trying to help everyone with my crazy idea to get more and reliable power...:grin2:

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's always an option, darkside makes some nice stuff.

I'm guessing for the GTD2060 if utilizing the stock GTB2056 housing, add in a used TD turbo, and having it rebuilt would roughly be $1000

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did you ever spell out the specs of the turbo you got from Europe vs the stock GTB2056?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, what are you looking for?

I have a GTD2263, so slightly different that the GTD2060.

Turbo_______Comp Ind__Comp Exd__Extended Tip__Blades__A.R__Turbine In__Turbine Ex
GTD2263VZ____44.5_____63.1______66.9_________6+6__54____50.1_______42.9
GTD2060VZ____42.9_____60_______62.1_________10____60____47_________42.7

·
Registered
206 Posts
So the turbine housing is in fact larger so simply swapping out housings without machining them is out of the question. IE, buy a used European 2263/2060 and swapping out the housing to match our exhaust manifolds.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only machining on the GTB housing is for make a place for the mounting "plate" that holds the VNT assembly in place. A new mounting plate will also be needed but I think I have a place that can water jet some SS310 for the job.

The rest of the GTB housing is fine

The plate has the red arrow in it at 54-56 seconds

·
Registered
513 Posts
So is this the start of a group buy?

Also can the balancing shop data log the compressor and produce a map (or provide data that we can produce a compressor map).

I'm interested if you're seriously going to build this thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only machining on the GTB housing is for make a place for the mounting "plate" that holds the VNT assembly in place. A new mounting plate will also be needed but I think I have a place that can water jet some SS310 for the job.

For the mounting plate, looking at the video the tolerances look tight. From the perspective of heat cycles and expansion/contraction, do you need to use the same material as the turbine housing or a specific grade of stainless steel?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the mounting plate, looking at the video the tolerances look tight. From the perspective of heat cycles and expansion/contraction, do you need to use the same material as the turbine housing or a specific grade of stainless steel?
The tolerances are ridiculously loose to allow for expansion. Like 1/8" loose :grin2:

But yes a material has been selected that is heat resistant up to 1150 C.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So is this the start of a group buy?

Also can the balancing shop data log the compressor and produce a map (or provide data that we can produce a compressor map).

I'm interested if you're seriously going to build this thing.
I'm not sure if I want to do a group buy.

My original thoughts were to just come up with something the concept that everyone could share.

But I guess that not everyone has the means to get it modified

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yes reusing the stock GTB actuator is the plan. Literally looking for plug and play
Heads up..... I recall reading in some tech papers that each actuator is "calibrated" to each individual turbo..... it didn't go into any other detail, so I can't tell you how true it is or what it implies..... I'll share the info if I can dig it up again. This documentation was actually saying that you can't even transfer the actuator between two identical units without re-calibrating.

I would assume there's some calibration process that can be done on a bench, but I've never cared to look into it deep enough.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I remeber reading something about this as well.

IIRC you can do it with VCDS. It learns the allowable travel limits IIRC.

·
Registered
513 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBUGwJyvMAg
It looks to me like the mounting plate has a joggle in it (51 seconds). Probably waterjet a piece of SS308 or SS410. If I remember correctly the unison ring made by an aftermarket company was EDMcut from SS410. SS308 or 316 would probably work.

How tight is the fit? The housings are probably nickel iron castings. And if the fit isn’t tight thermal expansion may not be an issue. Otherwise find out the original material they use. There are some places nearby that have metal analysis equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks to me like the mounting plate has a jiggle in it (51 seconds). Probably waterjet a piece of SS308 or SS410. If I remember correctly the unison ring made by an aftermarket company was EDMcut from SS410. SS308 or 316 would probably work.

How tight is the fit? The housings are probably nickel iron castings. And if the fit isn’t tight thermal expansion may not be an issue. Otherwise find out the original material they use. There are some places nearby that have metal analysis equipment.
As posted above there is at least 1/8" of tolerances.

Was thinking SS310 to be honest.

Housings are Inconel as is the turbine wheel.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah not much difference I guess between 304, 308, 310, and 316... pick one. I'm guessing you'll have to get some lathe work done if it is joggled as shown in the video. From the sounds of it, it may be a straight piece without a joggle.

I'm curious to see the results...

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
About this Discussion
90 Replies
10 Participants
NTDI
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing