Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Almstsobur,
Can you describe some more how you made your VAG6262 and where one can get the parts? Also, how did you make that spout for the upper bucket?
Thanks.
The VAG is an interesting story. All of the documentation I had said a VAG6262 was the fill tool, so I looked it up and it was supposed to be a 24M x 1.5. A pretty standard thread in hydraulics. So I called a local hydraulic shop and asked them to fit a crimp end for a 1/2" ID hose on a 24M x 1.5. I swung down on my lunch break and gave them $20 or so for it. Now, because you have to have the plastic under-body panel down to see the tranny holes I just assumed everything was good. To my surprise when I pulled the under-belly pan down I could clearly see that a 24m x 1.5 was too big for my 1 fill hole. The documentation I had showed 2 drain/fill holes, one bigger to fit the VAG and one smaller for the level tube. I only had 1, the level tube.

So, check your tranny pan before you buy or make a VAG tool, it might not be the right one, I have since double checked what I read and I made the correct tool, but the documentation of both Alldata and a 2011 service manual do not match what I see.

Given this situation I had to improvise one the fly ... since I knew none of this until I dropped the under-belly pan. But, I thought to myself "Self, the level check procedure basically drains any extra tranny fluid to the proper level, so just make sure you don't come up short and need to add any" Self did a good job and added about an extra 1/4 L over what I took out, to make sure I was on the high-side of full because I didn't have the right tool to top it off.

Thus when I did the level check procedure About 1/8-1/4 L drained out and everything worked out perfectly. So basically... You don't need the VAG tool at all for this method if you add a little extra fluid.

The spout for the bucket was just a piece I had laying around. I think it came off of like a $2 Walmart oil bottle spicket or funnel. Basically anything that will snugly fit a 1/2" ID hose that you can seal in place will work. I just drilled a hole in the bucket the night before .. thoroughly cleaned out the plastic shavings and threw a bead of superglue around a tight fit of the spout on the inside and out. It never leaked a drip. Just drill small and force a tight fit to get it in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Negligible amount maybe a quarter of a liter. Make sure you do it cold though so the cooler thermostat isn't open. I really didn't do this to avoid the "normal" way. I did this because the normal way only gets 1/3 of the old fluid, I consider that a waste of time. My old man always said do it right, do it once.
Also, why don't you want the thermostat to be open? I'm not sure how the trans thermostat works but I'm guessing once the fluid reaches a certain temp, the thermostat opens allowing the fluid to flow into the cooler. Once you pull the cooler lines, won't the open thermostat allow the cooler to fully drain?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Also, why don't you want the thermostat to be open? I'm not sure how the trans thermostat works but I'm guessing once the fluid reaches a certain temp, the thermostat opens allowing the fluid to flow into the cooler. Once you pull the cooler lines, won't the open thermostat allow the cooler to fully drain?
Yes, but the cooler only holds 0.7L so I wasn't worried about getting that pinch of fluid. I was more worried about working with hot tranny fluid in a lowes bucket and piping that wasn't designed for heat. That thermostat opens at 212F, that is some burn your balls scalding oil. Not worth the risk IMO. Also, by the time you complete the job the thermostat will be closed again, trapping air in the cooler, I didn't want to create a large pocket of air that could potentially vapor lock the proper flow of the tranny fluid. Again, just not worth the risk for only 0.7L

I doubt the vapor lock part would happen, who knows, but that fluid at 212F is just too hot to safely work with.

·
Registered
110 Posts
LOL, yes I didn't think about that...definitely don't want my balls scorched with hot ATF leaking everywhere. Overall, this a well designed plan. Thanks for pioneering this technique and sharing the details. I really wasn't looking forward to doing it the old way- it seemed so inefficient.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
LOL, yes I didn't think about that...definitely don't want my balls scorched with hot ATF leaking everywhere. Overall, this a well designed plan. Thanks for pioneering this technique and sharing the details. I really wasn't looking forward to doing it the old way- it seemed so inefficient.
No problem. Glad to help, I thought the old way was crap myself. Just use common sense and it's easy ... I highly recommend matching buckets and preferably with capacity markings and see-through. Again Lowe's was my friend here, I got those buckets in the painting section for a few dollars each. You will want to make sure you are on equal ground in and out, that's about the gist of it. Also, if you hang your bucket from the hood latch like I did, prop it up... I doubt those hood ram's will hold 11-12 Liters of weight. I didn't roll the dice and propped it up to be sure.

I can't imagine the mess if a bucket of 12L and $300 of fluid came crashing down with the hood. I think you would be calling Hazmat :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
P.S if anyone figures out the whole VAS6262 1 hole 2 hole, 24M 1.5 fitting thing, please fill me in. I'm still puzzled. All of the documentation I have says that's the correct fitting, but it clearly isn't on my tranny pan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
wow:shock:. This is great, and apparently I need to do this on my 2011 T3 with 90k miles.

What type of oil (part#), and quantity (liters) is used for the front differential, transfer case?, and rear differential?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah, I wish Mobil or someone would make that spec. $20/L is outrageous, but I guess the alternative of not changing it would be even more expensive. I use Mobil 1 as my engine oil and in a lot of my vehicles, I would have complete faith if they listed that spec. I've never heard of Gulf Dexron VI ... but I would assume if it lists the spec it has to meet or exceed OEM.
I wonder what's Toyota/Lexus trans fluid cost? After all same transmission is used in LS/LX

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here is Ravenol G055540A2 tranny fluid for T3 8 Speed auto
RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime, 4 Liter - Detailed item view - RAVENOL UK Online Shop
US distributor is Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts don't see on their site but they should be able to get.
Specifications:
RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime Fluid meets and exceeds the following manufacturer requirements and specifications:
Toyota / Lexus JWS3324
Toyota 00289-ATFWS
Toyota 08886-02305, Toyota 08886-81210
Aisin Warner Automatic Transmissions from 2008
Chrysler 05189978AA, Chrysler 05189979AA
Chrysler Mopar AS68RC
VW/AUDI 0C8 transmission (Touareg 2011- ,Q7 2010-)
VW/AUDI G 055 540 A2

Isuzu 2-90531-200-0, Isuzu 2-90531-201-0

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
To each their own when when it comes to fluids. But personally I would not use a fluid that does not list the correct vw spec. I would just question if the Toyota fluid is rated for the same factors as the vw. I've never known a gas powered Toyota to operate at 200f like our diesels do, since the tranny is cooled right by the radiator are the fluids rated for the same long-term heat? Also is it designed for 400ftlb of torque and 7700 lb of towing? Just because it's the same tranny, I'm not sure that means it's for the same operating conditions.

IMO this is no place to save a few bucks, I imagine they cost a fortune to fix or replace.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
To each their own when when it comes to fluids. But personally I would not use a fluid that does not list the correct vw spec. I would just question if the Toyota fluid is rated for the same factors as the vw. I've never known a gas powered Toyota to operate at 200f like our diesels do, since the tranny is cooled right by the radiator are the fluids rated for the same long-term heat? Also is it designed for 400ftlb of torque and 7700 lb of towing? Just because it's the same tranny, I'm not sure that means it's for the same operating conditions.

IMO this is no place to save a few bucks, I imagine they cost a fortune to fix or replace.
You maybe correct but I honestly doubt that VW engineered a special fluid for an Aisin transmission. I bet they just passed the trans fluid formula to Ravenol and called it a day. And yes, Aisin rates those trannies at 650 or 680ftlb.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah, it's really hard to say. Who knows. I would just think priority in a passenger car would be fuel economy, maybe with a sacrifice to viscosity or additives needed for the extra heat produced by a diesel and when potentially towing. Just food for thought, I really have no idea.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 8 Speed T3 tranny is Aisin Warner sequential automatic transmissions, I don't think VW has specified anything special about fluid they sell in their parts department.
Ravenol is high quality IMO, using their 5w40 VMO engine oil in my 08 Passat with 2.0T engine with no burn off between 5K oil changes, both Mobil 1 and Castrol VW spec syn oil burned off at least 1 quart every 5K.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The 8 Speed T3 tranny is Aisin Warner sequential automatic transmissions, I don't think VW has specified anything special about fluid they sell in their parts department.
Ravenol is high quality IMO, using their 5w40 VMO engine oil in my 08 Passat with 2.0T engine with no burn off between 5K oil changes, both Mobil 1 and Castrol VW spec syn oil burned off at least 1 quart every 5K.
I understand Bob, I'm not arguing, just playing devils advocate. "I don't think" is the key element in your statement, we don't know for sure. Also, the vw spec is 5-30, the additional viscosity of 5-40 would naturally have less blow-by.

I personally think 5-40 is a better diesel oil, 5-30 is used for the fuel economy IMO

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good find, Bob. Any idea what the Ravenol goes for, per liter? The cheapest OEM ATF I could find for this trans was 19.24 at vwpartscenter. If the spec on the oils is equivalent, I wonder if Toyota's ATF would be the cheapest option? But I understand where almstsobur is coming from. Piece of mind is worth something.
Also, when do you guys plan on dropping the pan and changing the filter? 100k?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Good find, Bob. Any idea what the Ravenol goes for, per liter? The cheapest OEM ATF I could find for this trans was 19.24 at vwpartscenter. If the spec on the oils is equivalent, I wonder if Toyota's ATF would be the cheapest option? But I understand where almstsobur is coming from. Piece of mind is worth something.
Also, when do you guys plan on dropping the pan and changing the filter? 100k?
Yeah, I plan to do the flush method at 100k, then the filter and magnets at the same time. I figure every 2 flushes drop the pan and do the magnets

41 - 60 of 204 Posts