Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my crude MS paint artwork, but this is an idea I had to flush the transmission fluid in my T3 8 speed tranny. It comes from the same method I used to use to change the tranny fluid in my R50 Nissan Pathfinder. However with the Pathfinder you would just allow the cooler line to dump 2 quarts of old fluid with the motor running, turn off the motor and add 2 quarts in the fill hole... rinse and repeat until the fluid came out new and clean.

Since we don't have a dipstick tube to fill from like the Pathfinder my idea here to essentially replace the transmission cooler temporarily with two jug's. One empty to take the old oil and one full with fresh new tranny oil. Start the car with a hose connected to the inbound and outbound flex lines at the connection to the radiator as pictured. Start the car and the tranny fluid pump will do he rest of the work, dumping old dark fluid in the empty jug wile sucking in new red fluid as needed, just as if it was cycling through the cooler itself. Once the "old fluid" jug starts getting clean fluid dumped in it, you are done. Put it back together then do the proper procedure to verify the fluid levels. I.E. 86 degrees and pull the bolt with the overfill tube.

Anyone see a reason this won't work?

Thanks.

-Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the idea is simply brilliant, and you did a great job illustrating it!!!
would really like to read some expert opinion about this idea!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tooth, I'm looking for some guru opinion myself. I'm willing to try it, I really would like to change my tranny fluid soon. Personally I don't see any reason it won't work, it bypasses the transmission thermostat which is in the piece you are disconnecting the lines from. If the general consensus is that it should work, i'll try it next week when my fluid arrives.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thanks Tooth, I'm looking for some guru opinion myself. I'm willing to try it, I really would like to change my tranny fluid soon. Personally I don't see any reason it won't work, it bypasses the transmission thermostat which is in the piece you are disconnecting the lines from. If the general consensus is that it should work, i'll try it next week when my fluid arrives.
The only thing I can think off that may cause you and issue is there is enough suction to draw the new fluid in to the tranny. That's because the fluid is pumped around and thru the cooler not sucked. But hey I think you method is worth a good try.
I would as a final if it works, do a proper fluid level check and correct as required via the actual level tube in the transmission pan.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
you leave old fluid in the cooler so you are going through a lot of effort to flush an extra liter at most.

The best is to do two or three changes 500km apart. Unless you plan on taking out the cooler's thermostat.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The only thing I can think off that may cause you and issue is there is enough suction to draw the new fluid in to the tranny. That's because the fluid is pumped around and thru the cooler not sucked. But hey I think you method is worth a good try.
I would as a final if it works, do a proper fluid level check and correct as required via the actual level tube in the transmission pan.

Regards
Drag
That's what I'm thinking as well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This procedure is very similar to what Ford has outlined to change fluid in my 2005 Taurus but transmission in that car required rebuilding the transmission before the fluid was flushed.
This is also very similar to how a Quick Change Oil Shop does a transmission fluid "exchange" with their machine they use, basically disconnect tranny lines going to cooler and connect their exchange machine which I think has it's own pump to push new fluid in and old fluid out.
http://www.wynnsusa.com/pdf/spec-sheet_TranServe2+Machine.pdf

I think the VW method is the safest way to change fluid with putting in a new filter plus cleaning the sedimet from bottom of the pan, you only get about half at best of old fluid out but you do get new fluid in that will mix fine with old fluid.

·
Registered
841 Posts
the question that pops up in my mind is how many liters of fluid or how long will you have to do this to also change the fluid in the torque converter?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you leave old fluid in the cooler so you are going through a lot of effort to flush an extra liter at most.

The best is to do two or three changes 500km apart. Unless you plan on taking out the cooler's thermostat.
I don't think that is correct. Look at the attached.

According to alldata, a pan drop fluid change only gets 3-4L of fluid. The capacity of the cooler itself is only 0.7L. So the method I am proposing will get all the fluid in the torque converter and elsewhere, leaving only the 0.7l in the cooler behind. The drain and fill method gets less than 50% of the total tranny system fluid 3-4 L out of 10-12 in the tranny.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Regards
Drag
This I am not sure about ... but if the flow from an old R50 Pathfinder is any indication .. those pumps are powerful. It would spit out 2 quarts in about 12 seconds. It appeared to me to have more than enough power to suck fluid up. But that is just a guess in my head.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the question that pops up in my mind is how many liters of fluid or how long will you have to do this to also change the fluid in the torque converter?
I would do this with no less than 11 liters in the "clean"bucket, since this is the max capacity of the system without the cooler. From past experience with other vehicles I think the whole thing will take less than 1-2 minutes. You would certainly want someone in the vehicle to turn it off on queue. Obviously a small amount of new fluid would be wasted in the old bucket as that's the indicator that it has flushed it all. This method does certainly flush the torque converter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
good luck with your project! may be take some pics and keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!! if it really works- and I don't see any reason why not- it's a great improvement!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My fluid will be here by Saturday, so I am going to give this a shot. I also have an 24Mx1.5 fitting coming as well; to top off if need be. Does anyone know for sure if it's the upper or lower hose that is outbound/inbound from the cooler?

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At what mileage one has to change the fluid?

I think that's a matter of opinion. VW claims never, I would say 40,000-60,000 miles. Closer to 40k if your towing, lot's of stop n' go or unusually hard on it. Closer to 60k if it lives a fairly highway bound easy life.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
40K if towing something heavy for a lot of the time, 60K if not, and don't take the slightest bit of notice of VW dealers telling you it is sealed for life.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts